Million Dollar Baby

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

For an academy award winner, this movie is surprisingly upbeat and funny.

This would be a good one to rent if you've got a hot girl coming over for a first date. Sure to get her "in the mood," as the kids say these days.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Nice.

I've not seen it, but I've been spoiled on the Miracle on 34th St. like ending.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Selby

Post by Selby »

I enjoyed it even if it was a little sad. One of the few newer movies out there that I felt actually deserved to win the awards it did (rather than some other overhyped piece of crap the studios forced down people's throats).
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I could've sworn I reviewed this here previously. Perhaps it was pre-the latest crash.

Oh well.

I thought this movie sucked. Sure, it had a great cast and they were awesome, but the writing was asstacular.

I remember it being plodding and dull.

And the fight scene at the end? If I remember it correctly, one of the worst moments ever in a film. Either the creators knew NOTHING about boxing or they didn't listen to any advisers they had on set.

Any film that makes the fights in Rocky seem more credible has issues.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

What he said.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I liked it. Clint Eastwood is a much better director than an actor (and I like his movies he acts in).
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I only watched it because I was able to DVR it off the high def HBO channel.

I tend to avoid, more often than not, all the oscar-buzz flicks.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Any film that makes the fights in Rocky seem more credible has issues.
You mean like the current one where a senior citizen Rocky steps into the ring w\ someone probably LESS than half his age?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You mean like the current one where a senior citizen Rocky steps into the ring w\ someone probably LESS than half his age?

Well, it wasn't just the punches, but also the setup and the way the fight was run. Watching Million Dollar Baby made me believe they had never seen a boxing match before and assumed it was run like the Kumite.

As for Rocky Balboa, yeah, I'm betting the fight is more realistic than the one in Million Dollar Baby. Besides, we've seen 50+ year old men still fight professionally like Larry Holmes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I so wanna see Rocky Balboa opening night....
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not to jinx it, but I'm actually hearing positive things about it.

Watched Judge Dread the other night. Not his finest hour.
DictionaryDave

Post by DictionaryDave »

I loved that scene with Double Penetration with....wait...wrong movie that was "Million Dollar Hooker."

Million Dollar Baby was just depressing.