The Island - maybe spoilers

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The movie was 'eh.'

Some glaring problems:

- How did the 3 and 4 year olds learn guile so quickly in order to evade professional mercenaries?

- I really, really don't think the name of a boat is going to be a genetic memory.

- The mercs get orders to eliminate Logan...errr, the runners... err, the clones by "any means necessary." So they begin firing without regard to civilian casualties, and it looks like they kill at least 100 people. Then, 10 seconds later, they are faced with the conundrum of which guy is the client, and which is his clone, so which one do we shoot? After killing half the city, they stop to worry about 1 more guy? Kill them both, already.

The movie was a good idea with shitty execution.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Selby

Post by Selby »

Terrible steaming pile of crap. I'd post more but it has been so long since I saw it I only remember it being a terrible steaming pile of crap without regard to plot holes and piss-poor writing and dialogue.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I couldn've sworn I reviewed this a while back.

I agree with your review.

Although, I'm pretty sure The Island is a remake, so the question becomes, which came first: the Island original or Logan's Run?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I can find no original "Island." I did, however, find a flick that brought legal action against it for swiping ideas. This movie sucked badly. I remember reading in some magazine about how it'd kick ass cos Michael Bay had never made a flick that didn't turn X millions of dollars as profit. Then this sumbitch became partially responsible for the dismemberment of Dreamworks.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I can find no original "Island."

It was based on something with a different name: Clonus.

Read the story at that link and you'll discover that it's more theft than remake.

I found that while googling to discover what The Island was a remake of as I remember a more mainstream review saying it was a remake of a 70s film, but I couldn't remember where I saw that review.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Well damn the first time I saw the trailer I thought it was a remake of Clonus, one of my favorite MST'd episodes. Sucks that they get no credit at all. Glad I never bothered with the Island, kinda wanted to see it so I could compare it with the 'original'.