Batman Begins - Summer 2005

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

And there's already a trailer.

http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Is Joel motherfucking Schumacher within fifty miles of it?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Paul

Post by Paul »

1) It needs a giant spider.
2) Is Halle "I want to F Paul" Berry within fifty miles of it?
3) It doesn't look as bad as I feared.
4) Reminds me of a Batman comic series I had. I sort of remember as being titled "Origin of the Bat." Maybe it was Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One." I don't know. But the series was dark and had to do with Batman's soul-search after his parent's death, him going to some frozen tundra, and how he chose to be a bat. (I wasn't into Batman, but this series was big at the times so I got it).
Vince

Post by Vince »

Paul wrote:Maybe it was Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One." I don't know. But the series was dark and had to do with Batman's soul-search after his parent's death, him going to some frozen tundra, and how he chose to be a bat. (I wasn't into Batman, but this series was big at the times so I got it).
Doesn't sound like Batman: Year One. That was four issues and it was at the end of the first one that he had decided on the bat idea. Not a whole lot of soul searching in that one.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Vince wrote:
Paul wrote:Maybe it was Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One." I don't know. But the series was dark and had to do with Batman's soul-search after his parent's death, him going to some frozen tundra, and how he chose to be a bat. (I wasn't into Batman, but this series was big at the times so I got it).

Doesn't sound like Batman: Year One. That was four issues and it was at the end of the first one that he had decided on the bat idea. Not a whole lot of soul searching in that one.
Geek. :cool:
Paul

Post by Paul »

I did a search and found the "Year One" name, so I suggested it. It was a shot in the dark. The only Miller Batman I know I've read was "The Dark Knight Returns."

I'm pretty sure the story had Bruce Wayne go to Alaska, get taken care of by medecine man, and freak out with some bat or bat totem pole or whatever. I wasn't into Batman so I didn't pay much attention to it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This movie was originally based on Batman:Year One. That's where they got the idea.

As for The Dark Knight Returns, that portrayed Batman as an aged and retired hero who comes out of retirement and is wrongly accused of murder or something. Supes has to come stop him and Batsie gives him a fight to the death. I won't ruin the ending for you.

Hmmmm, I think I need to dig that out and reread it. Its probably the most famous Batman storyline ever written.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

I don't read comics, but I read The Dark Night Returns.

It kicked much ass.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There are a few stand alone graphic novels that I could recommend to non comic readers that you'd love. The only requirement is that you understand the characters.

Such as:

The Nail - Awesome "What If" scenario where Superman wasn't found by the Kents.

Kingdom Come - The future is teeming with Superheros and Villains, but their battles are becoming a threat to all of humanity. Thus, the old heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman return to make things right. VERY good writing. This is one that anyone could enjoy as it examines if superbeings would be looked upon as gods or walk among us peacefully. This was originally a year long series and was a monster smash hit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Anyone know where I can get that big AvP graphic novel that came out in the 80's? I've looked for it a few times.
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Zetleft wrote:Is this the one?
Holy crap, I hope not. $70 is a little pricey for anything not Hobbit-related.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Try this place. It has one Alien Vs Predator graphic novel. It's not the original from what I can tell. In fact, I don't think I've ever read it (so it's not late-80's).
DictionaryDave

Post by DictionaryDave »

I actually have some of the originals which came out as a series by Dark Horse. It was a somewhat interesting story but I didn't think it was the best so I didn't buy all the issues.

I do believe the Batman movie is very loosely based on Batman Year One (basically about Bruce becoming Batman)