Question...

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Can Lucas water down and get insipid results from Gary Oldman, too?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Needs more Walken.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Wasn't there an SNL skit where Walken auditions to play Han Solo?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It was Kevin Spacey as Walken auditioning for the Han Solo role.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

GORDON wrote:Can Lucas water down and get insipid results from Gary Oldman, too?
Hopefully he will get a gem of a performance out of Oldman like he did from Hamill, Fisher, and Ford.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Steve Dave wrote:
GORDON wrote:Can Lucas water down and get insipid results from Gary Oldman, too?

Hopefully he will get a gem of a performance out of Oldman like he did from Hamill, Fisher, and Ford.
Carrie Fischer, when she wasn't stoned, recalls Lucas's directing consisted of three words: "Faster. More intense."
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

He is a super deformed animated pic of him if anyone wants to see. Couldn't find a decent non magazine cover of him.

mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Still up in the air as if that website was kidding..... ???
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:

It was Kevin Spacey as Walken auditioning for the Han Solo role.
Even better.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Steve Dave wrote:He is a super deformed animated pic of him if anyone wants to see. Couldn't find a decent non magazine cover of him.
Here's one of those magazine covers.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

So basically, it'll be Oldman's voice, and a Jar Jaresque cgi body.

Yes, it indeed looks like Lucas will get an insipid performance from Oldman.
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

GORDON wrote:So basically, it'll be Oldman's voice, and a Jar Jaresque cgi body.

Yeah bring back the average acting of humans from IV,V, and VI. Because as we all know it was the shakspearian performances that made Star Wars cool.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Steve Dave wrote:
GORDON wrote:So basically, it'll be Oldman's voice, and a Jar Jaresque cgi body.

Yeah bring back the average acting of humans from IV,V, and VI. Because as we all know it was the shakspearian performances that made Star Wars cool.
Saying the old actors suck doesn't disprove that Lucas can inspire suck from Oldman.
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

Not trying to disprove just pointing out that it doesn't matter. I think you are scraping the bottom of the barrel when you start talking about the acting being weak in a Star Wars film. The acting in any of them at it best has been serviceable. So if the acting in the old ones is no better then the new then what is the issue.

Since when has Star Wars been about the acting? It was/is popular because of part lightsabers, part aliens, and part spaceship/vehicles.

So unless you are just subscribing to the teen angst everything popular sucks theory then what is the issue about the so-so acting?
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Steve Dave wrote:So unless you are just subscribing to the teen angst everything popular sucks theory then what is the issue about the so-so acting?
Oh fucking please.

I think you are the only person in the fucking universe defending these fucking movies.
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

Why all of a sudden can't you look past the acting? Why is bad acting in the first trilogy acceptable but not in the second?

There are lots of problems with the new films but to get upset about the acting? It is now cool for in the sci-fi nerd community to dump on Lucas and I just think that the acting complaint is pretty weak.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

All of a sudden? People hated Annikin's acting in both movies. People hated Jar Jar's character so much that an entire edit of the film was made to remove him. People are upset that bad motherfucker Sam Jackson will put you to sleep if you aren't careful. There is no "all of a sudden."

No, Lucas is going to take the man who gave us Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg, Dr. Smith, the hijacker guy from Air Force One, and of course Sirius Black hide him under cgi, and you expect me to be cool with it. I might as well watch Finding Nemo at this point.

Han Solo was a badass motherfucker. Grand Moff Tarkin was a rigid scary nazi. Darth Vader would kill a man just for snoring. Luke was a whiny farmboy who turned into a religious zealot.

Teenage Annikin is so full of "teen angst" you want to cut off his allowance and send him to his room. His love scenes make you want to claw your eyes out. Jar Jar inspires murderous rage in the people who were old enough to see the films in the theater the first time. It's our worse nightmare that Lucas will edit Jar Jar into Episode 4. So far we've seen one emotion out of Amidala, and ditto Sam Jackson.

I bet if you email George Lucas and fawn over his directing/writing skills, you'll get an all expense paid trip out to Skywalker Ranch, and probably a part in his next movie. BECAUSE NOBODY WHO WASN'T ON HIS PAYROLL HAS EVER SAID THESE PREQUELS DON'T SUCK. You'll be the first. But keep arguing it. Maybe you'll change everyone's minds.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think his point is, the ACTING didn't 'all of the sudden suck'. The acting in 4, 5 and 6 sucked too. Luke was whiney, and it was poorly acted. etc. I remember people HATED Yoda. dizzamn muppet in Star Wars. People grew to like and even love him. And those Ewoks. Uhg. But what chick don't dig the Ewoks? I think the same thing didn't happen with Jar Jar because the movies came out closer to each other and we didn't have time to get over it. . .

But just with the acting part. . . that was not all of the sudden, or introduced with 1 and 2.

Stories going down the tube? Perhaps. But one could argue that even that wasn't all of the sudden as it started with 6. But we all still like 6, because it's Star Wars.

My take on what SD is say is "If you disect the movies. Yes, they should suck. But, everyone still likes them, so it's pointless to point out flaws. And if you DIDN'T like 1 and/or 2, it's hard to use 'acting' as the reason as the 'acting' sucked in 4, 5 and 6. And the story started getting cheesy with 6." So, it's a bit hypocritical to say that 1 and 2 sucked for qualities that 4, 5 and 6 were riddled with as well.

At least that's what I'm reading.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

No, I'm reading that I implied it would be a shame to water down Gary Oldman's performance, because he is a great actor. Then Star Wars Prequel Defender Man started an argument about it.

Edited By GORDON on 1088269357
Steve Dave

Post by Steve Dave »

I can come up with a list of things that need to be changed in everyone of the films except for New Hope. I didn't think we were talking about that.

I just don't see why average acting in the original triology isn't an issue for you but it is a unforgivable sin the new one. Why is a whiney Anakin worse then a Whiney Luke, neither are stand out acting preformances so why is it an issue. Other then the fact that you don't like the direction it the new ones went in.