Time Warner Cable is Starting to Piss Me Off.

Comment threads from front page posts.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

We were with Dish for about 8 years or so. We were very happy with them. We left them when we went with a bundle deal with WOW. WOW sucks donkey. Whale even. We left WOW and are trying Comcast now. So far, 2 days in, we are blown away. At any rate, if the Comcast bundle doesn't work out for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Dish.

The only problem with Dish that we had, really, my wife had cause she's the one that had to do it, was dealing with them when a receiver went bad. They'd have you do all kinds of troubleshooting stuff before sending a new one. Wasn't uncommon for her to be on the phone for up to an hour. Sometimes it was the receiver, sometimes it was the outdoor cabling or the dish. So, come to think of it, we had, on average, about one hardware failure per year. That seems high now that I think of it. Again, the wife always dealt with this stuff, so, it never bothered me. :-) But I do remember her being happy when we left Dish because she had just recently had to deal with their tech support.

So. . . from strictly a viewers perspective, I loved them. My wife, who actually dealt with the hardware failures, may have a different opinion.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Comcast managed to fuck up one of our cable boxes w\ one of their own updates. Had to wait hours till the box reset itself.

This was after they gave us a box that was faulty & wouldn't even power up.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

And I just discovered RSS tv feeds for automatic bit-torrent dling...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:And I just discovered RSS tv feeds for automatic bit-torrent dling...
I'm looking extremely forward to getting my external hard drives going someday.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

6x500GB RAID 5 FTW
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fucking hell. For the second time in a row, Comcast rolls out an update to their boxes, our box crashes & needs to be manually rebooted. Fuckers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just got a thing in the mail that Time Warner is raising the rates.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Just ordered Dish TV, installation Friday afternoon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What are you doing for internet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cable. Like I have a choice?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That's the route I am considering. Drop the cable TV, take the hit when I am no longer on the reduced-rate "bundle" of TV, internet, and phone all on the same bill, and go Dish for TV.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Dish is at least $20/month cheaper (I got the Turbo HD Bronze), and no taxes.

But, also check out uTorrent with an RSS feed from tvrss.net. Most major shows, the next day, commercial-free, to watch whenever you want. Or Hulu.

Either can be streamed through a PC to a Tv.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Dish TV is here. $25/month for the lowest HD package. I tried it out, and it worked, but haven't really tried to watch anything yet.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Does Dish TV have Bravo?

I'm afraid to say it, but I kind of like watching Top Chef, it's like the only cooking show I can stand.

Timewarner, even their HBO package, doesn't get it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I dunno, I dont have the gay (Not that there's anything wrong with that) package.

Their mid-tier packages ($45 for analog, $55 for analog+HD, $35 just HD) have it.

Details Bravo is listed at bottom of the middle HD package.
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

Progress reports?

I'm thinking of browbeating my lazy roommates into dropping Time-Warner for any possible alternative.
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I really like Dish. But, I only watch a few channels of TV. Mainly ESPN/ESPN2/CNBC, and the locals (which I get HD over QAM so they are free).

It's only had a reception issue once, around 1am in a storm. Any other heavy storm has not been an issue. The signal would blip for about 1 second every few minutes.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wonderful. Intermittent connection drops now. Fuckin' Comcast.
Troy

Post by Troy »

So moved into a new Atlanta Apt. 760 square feet, nice area (Dunwoody) close to work, etc.

Setting up my utilities is always a pain.

I heard on the radio about a CC promotion for 20 dollar HSI until 2010. Called and asked, they assured me it was no contracts, just would revert to the regular pricing january 2010.

Cool, signed up for it. Went to go get my cable box, and they were out. I've been "borrowing" wireless from my neighbor in the meantime. Checked today and they have boxes, but now I can't get to the store because they are only open when I'm working. Booo. Time for a lunch trip.

I was considering getting Dish TV, until I randomly decided to plug my TV Into the wall jack and noticed I still get 100 channels of what I'm guessing is basic package. This is AFTER the tech has been by to turn my Internet on outside.

Well. Sweet. Just need to get my box setup and use my splitter and i'm golden in 2009.

Edited By Troy on 1238421375
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Time Warner is now trying to legislate competing ISPs out of existance:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news....nternet

In a nutshell, a city in North Carolina got tired of slow internet for prices that have gone through the roof and getting even more expensive. So, the city took matters in their own hands and rolled out fibre optic cables throughout the city.

The service, currently named Greenlight Inc., approached the Time Warner Cable and Embarq, proposing they use the infrastructure for a more reliable and faster internet connection for a cheaper price. The big cable companies refused, so the government was left with all this infrastructure with no support from the big telecom companies. After doing some research, the government found out that the service would be extremely cheap to run and would give the government huge profits. So, they decided to run Greenlight Inc. themselves.

Unfortunately for Greenlight Inc., Embarq and Time Warner Cable found out about this and realized that they would be competing against an ISP that was faster, more reliable and cheaper. So, the ISPs went to the North Carolina state senate and lobbied for legislation that would effectively either cripple or ban the service all together.

The SECOND a viable alternative to Time Warner becomes available to me...