The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Cuban continues to get his ass kicked on X with bad, out of touch take after entitled billionaire take.

Loads of good comments in this thread, even some good ones defending college. However, this specific one is perfect.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I really am surprised at how little impact "all the knowledge in the world being online" has had on colleges.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:37 am I really am surprised at how little impact "all the knowledge in the world being online" has had on colleges.
I'm not. Having the internet doesn't get you that little piece of paper that means everything for a job search. That's one of the biggest reasons college is a scam.

And really that statement is misleading. It's not that EVERYTHING college is a scam. The scam is that everyone needs college.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

HR peeps all have degrees. Of course they're going to require that in an applicant, at the very least. Otherwise their own degrees may begin to feel like a waste of time.

For the record, I truly believe that any random on the street could be taught the full duties of an HR person in two weeks.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

"protect the corporation" isn't that hard for bootlickers.

Ok, maybe I've been to antiworrk too many timesa
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

The two weeks of HR training would involve long lunches.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Remember when HR departments were advocates for the workers and not the enforcement arm of corporations?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Honestly, not really sure I ever remember that.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

I used to think that............ But then I got jaded.

I think unions watch out for employees, HR was probably all about CYA for the company. But they certainly don't mind if you think they're your friend

Kind of insidious.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Berkley finally trying to tackle a problem they created after protestors committed crimes, including violence, trying to shut down a speaker on campus.
Dear campus community,

We write with an update about our response to last week’s protest at an event featuring a speaker from Israel.

As we stated in last week’s message, what happened on Monday, February 26 is unacceptable. In the wake of protesters’ efforts to shut down the event, a criminal investigation has been launched. We intend to gain a complete picture of what happened and hold accountable individuals or groups responsible for violations of the law and/or our policies.

After we sent last week’s message, UCPD and OPHD received reports that two of the Jewish students who organized the event, as well as some of the attendees, were subjected to overtly antisemitic expression. UCPD is investigating these two alleged incidents, which also included allegations of physical battery, as hate crimes. They are also investigating other reports of illegal conduct, including one additional allegation of physical battery upon a student. One criminal suspect has been identified to date, for trespassing. Our Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination has also opened a separate discrimination investigation.

Interviews are being conducted and video evidence is being reviewed. We urge anyone who has information about crimes to contact UCPD.

We will now re-evaluate and modify our security preparations in the current environment of heightened disagreement about issues that connect to the identities of many people in our campus communities.

This university has a long history of commitment to and support for nonviolent political protest that respects the First Amendment rights of others. That is not what occurred on February 26. It was not peaceful civil disobedience. We condemn it in the strongest possible terms.

Nor can we turn a blind eye towards the hatred and stereotyping at the heart of all forms of bias and discrimination. While hateful expression may be protected by the Constitution, we still have a responsibility to respond by working to protect and support targeted communities and by marshaling the educational resources of the university to confront the ignorance at the heart of bias.

Political protest is about opposition to an idea, action, or policy. Antisemitic expression is a frightening attack on an entire people. Every student, every member of our community, has a right to feel safe and welcome, and a true sense of belonging regardless of their identity or perspectives. All members of our community, no matter their political views, should feel safe on our campus. Our commitment to these values is non-negotiable.

We continue to urge all community members to immediately report any harassment, or discrimination to our Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination, and any alleged crimes or threats to the University of California Police Department. These reports are a necessary step to respond appropriately and quickly to behavior or expression that violates the law and/or our rules.

We are confident that the UC Berkeley community will rise to meet the opportunities and challenges we face.

Sincerely,

Carol T. Christ Chancellor
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

"...but if we could get rid of the Jews we probably would "
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Get an Econ degree, get rich. Or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

My freshman has been doing well in school, but has been vacillating on his major... But yesterday he told me he's locking down on a med degree, and has his plans for post grad and MCATSs.

:-D

He was trying to change into economics but they weren't accepting transfers in for some reason.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

When I was in college, my mom sent me an article that said Economics was the highest-paying non-BS major out there. I found Econ relatively easy to do, so gave up on my pre-Med stuff. I wouldn't have been a good doctor.

Good luck to your freshman.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

He's looking at 3.5+ GPA with all his sciencey pre-med classes, with Chinese as his language. The kid is reading 200 year old Chinese literature for fun, with a chart open on his phone for reference, and complaining, " I hate when they use this dialect, it makes no sense "

Good stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

For a minute he was gung-ho about switching to economics with a Chinese minor, his advisor was like double-thumbs-up on that. But that school wouldn't accept him, even with good grades. So that's weird.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

So is anyone else besides me bemused at the FAFSA problems?

I just learned General Dynamics was paid $181M to change the input form, and change the calculation equations a little bit.

Even if im understating it, as I understand it still interfaces with the IRS, holy shit, they had years and a couple hundred million dollars.

I used.to do shit harder than that in three weeks, solo, paid $60k a year.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

It does seem insane. Even with the behind the scenes integration costs, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

In case you were both unaware, our government is corrupt to the core. Ridiculously bloated and inefficient. Anything it touches turns to shit. Overpriced shit.