The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Good stuff about your kid. I look forward to when he's recruited by the CIA.

My kid got a 4.0 in her first semester and just got cast in a play, which isn't common for freshmen. She's got an attitude of "I came here to learn and set the rest of my life up in the career of my choosing, so I'm not fucking around", which is great. She's putting in hours reading and doing assignments while her roommate is using ChatGPT for everything. That girl doesn't even have a working laptop. She does everything on her phone.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:17 pm He has something like a 3.2 GPA, for the semester, in the college of science.
Solid.

I majored in Economics + International Studies (Latin America). Hopefully he'll use his major, unlike me.
GORDON wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:17 pm I'm going to be bummed in a few days at FASFA time, because now he has a shitload of assets, in that judgement money from the accident.
Any risk of future subrogation?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

That's a made-up word.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

College chancellor fired for making sex videos with his wife.
Announcing the termination of Joe Gow, University of Wisconsin System President Jay Rothman said the university had “learned of specific conduct by Dr. Gow that has subjected the university to significant reputational harm. His actions were abhorrent.”
Abhorrent?

She's his wife. They simply posted them online like loads of other couples.

The lawsuit is going to be interesting. Is this free speech? What does it mean for other exhibitionists and OF models?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Is she hot?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:36 pmAbhorrent?
GORDON wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:33 pmIs she hot?
No.

So, ahborrent :)

In all seriousness I hope he sues and wins big.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:00 pm House now investigating Harvard pres for plagarism.

Listen, the woman has no business being the president of Harvard or really in any position of power, but is this your job? Eh, maybe it is since their board is doing nothing about it.
Harvard president resigns.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

What an embarrassment that the public had to make this happen because Harvard's regents are so inept.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Female privilege:

I told my kid to register for selective service when he turned 18. I followed up maybe once, but I'm done riding him because I warned him he's an adult now, and has to take ownership of his life And for the most part he has, I do nothing any more with paying his college bills for him, making travel plans or schedule decisions, etc.

But he lollygagged on the SS registration.

And the college tacked on $11k to his spring bill since he hadn't done it.

He registered and sent school the number, and the $11k was removed, but still. We don't have equal rights yet, that's for damned sure.

Saw a meme the other day, a 1950s woman in a dress doing dishes. The caption was, "Feminists the day after they declare a draft."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:40 pm And the college tacked on $11k to his spring bill since he hadn't done it.
I didn't know this was a thing?
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:48 pm
GORDON wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:40 pm And the college tacked on $11k to his spring bill since he hadn't done it.
I didn't know this was a thing?
Neither did I.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

News to us.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Apparently it's state by state: https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/new ... 525558007/ and Ohio is one of those states.
There’s no singular accounting of how much Ohio’s selective service fee is costing college students. The fee is codified in state law per a congressional rule signed by President Jimmy Carter in 1980. Institutions across America, at the very least, are required to charge the equivalent of out-of-state tuition, which is tied to the number of credits students take and the base cost of tuition at any given university or college.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

CNN story about a millennial realizing he didn't need his degree. (It's a video story, so...those suck.)

Who knew that telling everyone they needed a college degree would simply create a country filled with people working low paying jobs not related to their degree while struggling with a mountain of debt?
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

I saw the army was wanting to start targeting kids with bachelor degrees into ENLISTING in specialized jobs.

Aint no way in hell I would get a degree, and go into the military as enlisted, unless there was a big bump in specialized pay and I would be marked safe from latrine duty.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Agreed.

I do think the military could make a post-college enlistment attractive, but it might involve outsourcing some of the worst chorses.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Maybe a "we'll pay off your student loans" option. IDK.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

That would be a good incentive.

Other things they can push:
-Three free meals a day
-Free room and board
-Free utilities
-Free high speed internet
-Physical fitness programs
-Cheap groceries
-Explain how most military careers are just 9 to 5 jobs
-Priority consideration for government gigs
-Offer incentives to corporations that recruit and hire veterans
-The right to vote :D
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Now that I'm thinking about it, the military already pays kids to go to school, in exchange for 4-6 years of service. A deal they make ahead of time. This would just be doing it backwards... and maybe give the kids with degrees in ancient Sanskrit an option when they realize their degree is useless everywhere else?
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

FAFSA fuck up keeps getting worse. Now theyre saying results may not be out until April.

If only someone in government could have predicted before FAFSA season that FAFSA season was coming at the exact same time this year. They could have gotten to changing those 40 lines of code ahead of time.

Another billion dollar website, I wonder?