The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Grand Canyon University hit with largest fine ever for deceptive practices.

But was it more than what they made? Because if not, the fine isn't big enough.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Want to know where the hot investment properties are? College towns.

I have direct observation of two of them. Local homeowners rent their houses out by the semester, from mid-august to early december, and then from mid january to early may. They'll charge a flat rate per semester, pretty much equally tied to the cost of overpriced campus housing.* So a typical rate for a kid renting a room in the house down there is $4500 per semester. Lets call that 4 months, considering partial months in front and behind. So, 4500 for renting a house for 4 months isn't too bad......

except the landlord will state that all 4 (or 5, or 6, whatever) occupants of the house will pay $4500 per semester, each. Simple math, they're getting 4500 per month. That's NYC luxury apartment numbers.

$4500 is the cheapest rent I've seen. I think the average might be about 5000.

So there's your investment property. An old, semi-run down house, occupied 8 months out of 12, will net you about $2k per month for minimal attention (assuming it isn't a complete shithole). And if your renters trash it, you have all kinds of protections for making them pay.

*My adult son is paying $1200 per month for campus housing, which includes one room with 1 roommate, furnished, a shared bathroom, and strict rules about what he can do in his home, ie cooking, drinking, etc. In Toledo $1200 per month gets you a 2 bedroom loft in the trendy warehouse district near downtown.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Holy shit. I paid $250 a month... to split a 1 bedroom with a friend, cuz we were poor in college. Plus utilities.

He paid $175 or such and slept in the living room. And we were more than 2 miles from campus, though.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

I get that it's college, but it feels weird to me how they can dictate the rules to adults the way they do.

Meaning, my kid can't even not live in the dorms until junior year. And as I said, the dorm costs about 1200 per month, and the cheapest of the mandatory meal plans is about 1000 per month.

When I hear about issues in the dorms, like rooms not being clean on move-in day, fucked up paint on the walls that you'd better document or they'll charge you for it (the way they charged the previous occupants who did it), it makes me wonder where they hundreds of thousands they're making per semester, per residence hall, is going. As I mentioned, the amount one kid pays is the equivalent of a luxury apartment in most parts of the country, but they're getting a single room with a roommate and a shared bathroom down the hall.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

It does make you wonder
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Even the local nanny (RA) is working for free.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:32 am Even the local nanny (RA) is working for free.
RA gets free room? and board?
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:47 am It does make you wonder
Go look and see how much money the administrators are making at these schools.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:45 pm
GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:32 am Even the local nanny (RA) is working for free.
RA gets free room? and board?
Room yes, meal plan, dunno.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

So my kid has his passport, insurance cards, check book, etc with him in his dorm room. Do you think it makes sense to get him a mini safe for these things, or does that just give a thief a single, hard to hide, thing to steal?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Most minisafes are basically useless, and bulky, so harder to hide.

Feels like he could just hide them easier on their own.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Yeah I figured.

But he already started losing shit, "I forgot where I hid it." Special boy. Was contemplating xmas presents, and ways to help him organize important documents
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:41 am But he already started losing shit, "I forgot where I hid it." Special boy.
Write it down in a note on his phone. Write down ALL THE THINGS.

That's what I tell my kids... again... and again... and again...
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Notes is a good idea.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

There are smaller safe devices that would be good to use in a dorm. The ones that look like other things.

And Catt is 100% spot on with notes on the phone. He should have all his info there.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

UPenn pres is probably going to lose her job because she cannot condemn speech calling for the genocide of Jews.

If you didn't see multiple university presidents testified before Congress this week and would not condemn such things nor say it was against their policy.

Although, if you talked bad about LGBQTIA+ you could expect to get expelled, but whatever...
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:30 pm UPenn pres is probably going to lose her job because she cannot condemn speech calling for the genocide of Jews.

If you didn't see multiple university presidents testified before Congress this week and would not condemn such things nor say it was against their policy.

Although, if you talked bad about LGBQTIA+ you could expect to get expelled, but whatever...
During Tuesday’s House hearing, Magill, along with the presidents of Harvard and MIT, did not explicitly say that calling for the genocide of Jews would necessarily violate their code of conduct on bullying or harassment. Instead, they explained it would depend on the circumstances and conduct.
Quick, some call for the genocide of: Blacks, Palestinians, Muslims, Native Americans, Asians, Queerfolk, and Whites and see where the line is.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

We all know where the line is...

Only one of those isn't a protected class.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:39 pm We all know where the line is...

Only one of those isn't a protected class.
Poor Asians.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »