California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:54 pm That writer just did a HORRIBLE job of explaining it.
Absolutely fair point.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

SF adds noncitizen to election commission.

If she's actively working towards citizenship, I believe I can support this move.

If not, WTF are we doing?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:17 am SF adds noncitizen to election commission.

If she's actively working towards citizenship, I believe I can support this move.

If not, WTF are we doing?
I can see how legal immigrants might want a voice. Conflicted on how much of a voice they get, but at this point, I'd say no voting.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Read a thing earlier about how democratic cities are squabbling among themselves, bussing illegals to each other back and forth.

(But it's only racist when Texas does it)
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Newsom never met with the dude, and says Panera is not exempt. It was for bakeries, or something: https://ktla.com/news/california/gov-ga ... m-the-law/
“It is true that I opposed AB1228, as did thousands of other California restaurant owners. If the intent of the bill was to address alleged labor code violations in fast-food restaurants, then the scope of the law should be limited to true fast-food restaurants and not include fast-casual restaurants like bakeries, bagel shops, delis, etc. I suggested the bill’s language defining ‘fast food restaurant’ should be amended to exclude fast-casual restaurants,” representatives for Flynn told KTLA in an emailed statement.

“To be clear, at no time did I ask for an exemption or special considerations. In fact, the idea never even occurred to me and I was surprised when the exemption appeared in the final legislation. I also never met with Governor Newsom about this bill, though I did meet with his staff in a group meeting with other restaurant owners,” the statement read.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

From that article, multiple sites reported the story yesterday, including them. If they got it wrong, shame on them for not confirming and proving, once more, that the MSM is broken. But...where did it come from?

Also, I'm still skeptical. That article is just a denial, which is fine, but Flynn's statement reads a bit too defensive for someone with nothing to lose either way:
Flynn has also been involved in Newsom’s campaigns, donating $100,000 in 2021 to help Newsom fight against a recall and $64,800 in 2022, which went to the governor’s reelection campaign, according to The Sun.
Don't need to meet with Newsome if he's in the contacts on your phone. :D

(P.S. Realistically, when I posted the original story it seemed like such a pittance it didn't make a lot of sense to me that such an exemption needed to be made. But I also remembered that a lot of rich people are really, really greedy.)

BTW, the best part of the article is the final line. It's literally a single sentence and is separated from the rest of the article by a large box featuring a reader poll:
Other companies that aren’t exempt from the law, like Chipotle, previously announced plans to raise prices in the Golden State.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This woman is evil and belongs in jail.

There should be a strict one strike and you're out policy for any scientists and their ilk who falsify studies, reports, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I met someone who came to our area from SF, CA and he was complaining about this. Then said all the rich parents just get tutors so their kids to algebra anyway in middle school. Like the policy was just making rich people get further ahead.

The policy has always seemed dumb to me, and I’m glad it’s being revealed as fraud. I remember in the 80s when we’d actually teach people to their potential, instead of dumbing everything down Harrison Bergeron style.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am I remember in the 80s when we’d actually teach people to their potential, instead of dumbing everything down Harrison Bergeron style.
Fucking amen.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's real.

I hope SF is ready for the inevitable lawsuits after someone gets killed.
Ignore the attacker.
This is official policy! Who wrote this shit?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

When you see someone being harassed ask permission to intervene "Can I sit or stand next to you?" Which is exactly the same question the guy just asked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I thought about putting this in the moron thread.

But yeah, wages went up 29%, and prices went up ~4%.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Immediate 50 cents extra for EVERY item in the Starbucks today. *sigh*
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:34 pm Immediate 50 cents extra for EVERY item in the Starbucks today. *sigh*
Getting anything from Starbucks is its own stupid tax.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:34 pm Immediate 50 cents extra for EVERY item in the Starbucks today. *sigh*
Getting anything from Starbucks is its own stupid tax.
Good thing I'm rolling on an expense report, babeee.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:27 pm But yeah, wages went up 29%, and prices went up ~4%.
Of course the prices don't go up at the same rate as the wage hike. Duh. However, claiming that small bump in prices at one restaurant as a "win" is not telling the whole story.

First of all, it doesn't massively affect the middle class (small as it is these days) and up...way, way up to get to Catt...but this is an additional burden on the poors who tend to eat more fast food.

Secondly, I'm seriously curious why this was just against fast food workers. The government arbitrarily choosing what industry to force wages up in is capitalism? Shouldn't the market dictate wages?

Third, this article says labor unions are behind this whole thing. True?

Continuing on:

Remember that Pizza Hut preemptively laid off 1200 workers. Other companies laid off people too.

Schools, who always are flush with extra money, are now struggling to find workers.

There are stories all over about smaller chains and M&Ps closing their doors. Many have said this is just a transfer of wealth from SMBs to corporations. I, personally, don't think that was the intent, but it will certain be a result.

McD's franchisee discusses how prices can only be raised so much, which means other cost cutting options have to be considered.

You know where this leads.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:46 am of all, it doesn't massively affect the middle class (small as it is these days) and up...way, way up to get to Catt...but this is an additional burden on the poors who tend to eat more fast food.
but many of those poor's get minimum wage, so they win. Although this doesn't impact all minimum wage jobs, but many of them
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:12 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:46 am of all, it doesn't massively affect the middle class (small as it is these days) and up...way, way up to get to Catt...but this is an additional burden on the poors who tend to eat more fast food.
but many of those poor's get minimum wage, so they win. Although this doesn't impact all minimum wage jobs, but many of them
Population of CA is 39M. According to Google and all the MSM, 500K got raises. I accept your "many" and see you with "That doesn't negate my point."

The law was very much aimed at fast food only. Also, we probably need a few years to see the full impact. I'm betting a good chunk of those 500K will be unemployed by then.

Conspiracy theory: They want to make FF unaffordable to improve the health of Americans, which the government is now paying for. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Fast food is now more affordable for fast workers. I hope they're the majority of fast food consumers, because everyone else will be buying less of it, now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."