Civilization III

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I received the Complete set from a cousin, but I didn't get the manual. (Perhaps its on the disks? I never looked, but just realized that's where it may be.)

Anyway, I know a few of you play it, so I'd like to know what victory conditions you generally play for, what setup you use, who you usually play as, and if you have any tips?

Anyone think this could be a good multi game or would it take too long to play?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I turn off the space-based victory.

The easy mode doubles as a tutorial, iirc.

"Trade" and trade goods are very different from civ 2.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

One thing I hate or I can't figure out is when other civs offer trades to you. They are ALWAYS bullshit trades and they will refuse to let you alter it in any meaningful way.

Examples:
1. We offer you Bronze Working for Ceremonial Burial and 500 gold.

2. We offer you Chemistry for Medicine and Industrialization.

I could go on, but you get the point.

The AI will almost never accept or propose a straight up trade. Why is that?

Also, how can I gain techs from the other civs via espionage? I've sent in spies while having the Intelligence Agency wonder and paid the highest price, yet they get caught immediately every time.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Leisher wrote:Also, how can I gain techs from the other civs via espionage?
You can't. It never works.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I play for Domination or cultural victory. Once you get Domination (66% of peeps, 66% of land), the game is pretty much over anyways.

I just started playing again 2 weeks ago. I bought it when it came out, and gave up within a couple of days. The tweaks and fixes they've made have greatly improved it.

So far the best I've done is against Monarch level.

As for trades. The computer values certain items much more than others (new governments, for example). When you get certain items, you can get CRAZY amounts of gold/tech/etc from the AI. BUT you need to establish a clear lead in order to do this. I've gotten 200 gold per turn on some trades, which enabled me to increase science to 100% and make money, which just makes more money when my next scientific discovery comes around. Also, certain resources (Iron, Coal, Oil) are worth much more to the AI than others. And, luxuries are worth more depending on population. If you and the AI have roughly the same number of peeps, he'll usually swap stuff, no problem. If you have more peeps, then the AI decides the luxury is worth more to you, and will demand more in turn.

And, is it just me, or is corruption just absolutely amazingly high in this game, no matter what civ you are? (well, possible exception of communism)
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

As for multi, it bogs down once there are a large # of units for each civ. And it does take a large amount of time. The wife and I played one game to completion, and it took about 12+ hours.

But if peeps want to try and coordinate a game, id be down.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Personally, I always play for total domination (all land and peeps). My only problem is that the tech stalls out later in the game and you can't make the time open-ended. I remember in Civ2:CTP bombarding their puny tanks with a space-based laser cannon and patrolling the orbital locations with a battlecruiser. And the computer would load up a single tank in a pod on the end of a disposable rocket, launch it into space, land in one of my cities behind my lines and take it over. I'd pummel him because I had instantaneous transport via maglev trains, and then I had to fortify each city to avoid such things.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What are the first things one should focus on when starting?

How about where to build cities?
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Knowing where to build cities is a very important aspect of Civ, also, know your tech tree, know where you want to go, and explore. Also, expand like a welfare family getting the daily double for each child.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

1) Knowing where to build cities.
2) Building a settler factory or two. (City with decent inherent production and growth, grassland with shields, and forest). Then build a granary, and you can just crank out new settlers.
3) For me, building a wonder factory. Mix of hills and grassland to get prod around 20+
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I had a GREAT start going as Portugal and was barely into the game when America demanded money from me and I refused. They declaed war so I sent my small army north to deal with them when I was notified that China also declared war on me and invaded from the south on the next turn...

I only had three cities and lost one the next turn.

Assholes.

Is it me or is America a bastard in the game?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I always only play America. :-D

Early on, I only take out my neighbors if they ask for it. Early on I'd rather develop and expand, than fight.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, early on I give them shit. You get credit for trading (they like you more), so they will give you lots of shit later in return when you are dominate.

Your advisor should tell you what your power is like when opponents demand stuff. You can use that as a clue as to whether or not you can turn them down without provoking war.

In Civ 1/2, you got ahead of your opponents quickly and easily. In Civ 3, it takes either a) lucky early war or b) time.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

What are the first things one should focus on when starting?

How about where to build cities?

Workers, Settlers, and some units to defend.

No matter who you are you need to expand like crazy. I like 20ish cities before 0 B.C. but that doesn't always happen.

You can check out this site Civfanatics they have a lot of good stuff. The main thing they stress is don't build wonders.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Civfanatics has great info.

As for wonders, I like the following: Great Pyramid, Sun Tzu's War Academy, Leonardo's Workshop, Temple of Artemis, Hoover Dam and Adam Smith's Trading Company.

ToA is great for a cultural victory.
STWA, LW and HD are great for war.
GP and ASTC help with growth/money.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What the hell is a Temple of Artimis?
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:What the hell is a Temple of Artimis?
Are you asking because you want to know what it is or because it was spelled wrong and you are just pointing that out?

It puts a temple in each of your cities on same continent. I think it was part of one of the expansions.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Um, I spelled it right.

Yeah, I actually play Civ 3: Conquests, not the base version.

In Civ 3, being Industrious is much much better than it is in Conquests.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh, I've never played the expansion. Had never heard of it.

Hell... I played for a year before I ever saw "Iron Works."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've got the Complete version with the Conqiests and Play the World expansions. (That might cause multi problems?)

As for not building the wonders...I must be doing something wrong because I'm in a game now where I've built about 10 wonders to the rest of the world's one and I'm also waaaayyyyy ahead in the tech race. I'm about to lay the bitch slap on the Germans. Upitty bastards have already lost two cities too close to my borders due to my awesome culture. Then they dared to demand tribute despite their army being pathetic.

I'm figuring out where to build, but still have issues with what to build in each city first. I know their functions for the most part, but haven't figured out which maximizes my ability to do other things...know what I mean?

I have figured out the tirggers for a lot of the wonders.