Rip your own CDs for your own use?

Audio Tawk
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That's a lawsuit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....93.html

The Howell case was not the first time the industry has argued that making a personal copy from a legally purchased CD is illegal. At the Thomas trial in Minnesota, Sony BMG's chief of litigation, Jennifer Pariser, testified that "when an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Copying a song you bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy,' " she said.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I think SCOTUS already visited this with cassette tapes.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I swear to Christ, if I ever see the RIAA fold like a bitch in my lifetime, I will hold a massive party to celebrate. W\ all illegal music.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Okay, after reading more of the actual case, it seems that lawyers might be shooting off their mouths here. The guy they're taking to court ripped his own CD's, yes. But he ripped them into a shared Kazaa folder.

Now the lawyers are making a bunch of dumb ass statements that really don't seem to have anything to do with the case. At this point I have to wonder if the RIAA lawyers are just saying, "Fuck it. We can't be anymore hated than we are right now."
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Oh wait, the reporter's just a retard.
[Fisher = reporter; Sherman = RIAA lawyer]

Copying CDs to a computer or an iPod is common all over the world and if Fisher's claims were correct, the RIAA would be painting millions of people as criminals. The story became national news and scores of publications repeated Fisher's claims.

But as numerous bloggers and copyright experts have noted, the quotes cited by Fisher are incomplete. Fisher wrote that the RIAA had argued in the brief that MP3 files created from legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" and violate the law.

"The Post picked up one sentence in a 21-page brief and then picked the part of the sentence about ripping CDs onto the computer," Sherman said during the radio show. "(The Post) simply ignored the part of the sentence about putting them into a shared folder."

The "shared folder" omission is at the center of what's wrong with Fisher's story. Anyone who reads the brief can see that the RIAA says over and over again what it considers to be illegal activity: the distribution of music files via peer-to-peer networks.

Fisher didn't address this issue during the debate. Instead he moved on to testimony given by Jennifer Pariser, a Sony BMG lawyer, who said during an earlier court case: "when an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song."

This is when Sherman really went to work on Fisher's story.

"The Sony person who (Fisher) relies on actually misspoke in that trial," Sherman said. "I know because I asked her after stories started appearing. It turns out that she had misheard the question. She thought that this was a question about illegal downloading when it was actually a question about ripping CDs. That is not the position of Sony BMG. That is not the position of that spokesperson. That is not the position of the industry."

Edited By TheCatt on 1199475618
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Journalists and lawyers are currently in 3rd and 2nd place in the active poll.

Edited By GORDON on 1199476003
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

With journalists, you never know if you're dealing with plain stupidity and laziness, or out-and-out evil.

With lawyers, it's always evil.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

At least self-motivated evil can be predictable.

Stupid is random.