TV is teh DEVIL

For stuff that is general.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Watching cartoons with my kid just now, and there were FOUR creepy dot-gov PSAs on. IN A ROW. Including one for Americorps where all the "I want to make the world a better place" do-gooders were walking around with HALOS. I kid you not.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What the hell do you watch? Playhouse Disney... don't recall any of that crap.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Another reason we don't watch TV.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm almost starting to think we may've lost the Cold War. The commies installed some sleeper cells back in the '50-60s or some shyte. Their kids are finally old enough to do some damage.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:I'm almost starting to think we may've lost the Cold War. The commies installed some sleeper cells back in the '50-60s or some shyte. Their kids are finally old enough to do some damage.
I'm almost positive we referred to these commies as "hippies" back then.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I'm almost starting to think we may've lost the Cold War. The commies installed some sleeper cells back in the '50-60s or some shyte. Their kids are finally old enough to do some damage.
Hippies are usually too lazy to organize themselves. Commies aren't. They're like hippies on speed & steroids.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

It's older than that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:
Hippies are usually too lazy to organize themselves. Commies aren't. They're like hippies on speed & steroids.
That's what they wanted us to think... the actual lazy ones were considered "useful idiots" of the organized ones.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

thibodeaux wrote:

It's older than that.

Some interesting points there.

Many Libertarians will not succeed – if by success we mean actually gaining political office or sufficient influence to make a difference – the primary reason being their bullheaded atheism. A people, over 90 percent of whom believe in a personal God, simply will not support a political movement that tries to marry individual liberties and natural rights with the idea that there is no God. For intellectuals there are, or should be, too many problems with the idea that a moral view of the universe can be built up on the materialistic foundation that represents, for many of us, the dark side of the Enlightenment.

I'll take a manufactured, artificial morality (as long as I get a say in the manufacturing) rather than a state-imposed morality based on someone's warped idea of a supreme being or universal code of conduct.

But this is even better ...
One reason many of us do not trust neocons is that they have been all too willing to favor military interventionism around the globe in the name of "democracy" – as if having forgotten that free institutions require a longstanding philosophical tradition that developed mainly in the English-speaking world and nowhere else.

Emphasis mine. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing our troops are over fighting in the Middle East to install democratic constitutions based on fundamentalist Islamic holy law.