The American Society of Magical Negroes (2024)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Massive, massive bomb.

$1.3M in 1100+ theaters in 4 days.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I guess people didn't want to support a piece of racist shit.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How do the film makers even play that off? When they race swap an established, they can blame "our audience was just too racist." They can even do it entirely to drum up word of mouth, beforehand. Now what? "Our audience wasn't racist enough?"

I hope everyone involved lost a shitload of money and it hurt and they had to get real jobs shoveling shit in a horse barn.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Turns out AA's weren't thrilled to go to a movie that fully embraced a racist stereotype they didn't' like.*

How tf did this get made?

*My cite here is the BlackPeopleTwitter subreddit, an internet gem.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Would it be fair to say that black Hollywood is as out of touch as the rest of Hollywood?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 pm Would it be fair to say that black Hollywood is as out of touch as the rest of Hollywood?
We make fun of Tyler Perry, but he is capable of making movies AA want to watch. Jordan Peele too I think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tyler Perry for sure.

Peele is an odd case. I think he's having a fascinatingly unique career. While he does cast black people, I'm not sure his stories appeal to black people. Also, I'd bet you anything he got shit from black people for Key & Peele, just like Chappelle did for his show.