Civil War - A24 - (2024)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Civil War - A24 - (2024)

Post by GORDON »

I gotta say, I found this trailer kind of disturbing. I've always said that US military troops wouldn't fire on their neighbors.... but what if they really, REALLY hated the President? In this, California and fucking TEXAS teamed up against him. Goddam. How bad he must have been. And if he was that bad, maybe the militry would fire on their neighbors.

Maybe someone is worried about Trump 2.

Be warned, this trailer seems to give a lot away.

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Civil War - A24 - (2024)

Post by TheCatt »

I guess having Texas + California team up was a way to make the movie not be perceived as a Left-Right kinda of civil war.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Civil War - A24 - (2024)

Post by Leisher »

Not sure how I feel about that trailer, and I'm definitely not excited about the writer.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Civil War - A24 - (2024)

Post by Troy »

Thought it was good. This is a war journalism ethics movie. A strong ANTI-civil war movie. Nobody sane watches this movie and goes 'yeah, I want that."

I had read/thought they tried to stay out of current politics, but they show the third term president talking EXACTLY like Trump does at the very beginning. "We just had the greatest military victory, of ALL TIME" (they didn't)
Leisher
Site Admin

Civil War - A24 - (2024)

Post by Leisher »

I did not enjoy it overall. I thought pieces were fine, but as a whole it was predictable, shockingly boring, an absolute mess politically, and tried way too hard. I blame the writing and direction, which is one person, Alex Garland.

I really wonder if the A24 reputation sabotaged Mr. Garland. Being an A24 film comes with certain expectations and this film did not hit them.

Troy is right that it's very anti-civil war. Nobody sane would want it. It shows how chaotic the country becomes, but does so poorly because the film is so chaotically shot. I don't mean that the action is chaotic. I mean, the shots they chose to show are chaotic. The audience is never shown proper scale or good angles to truly understand positioning.

Additionally, we're never told what is going on. NEVER. There's no explanation for why two complete polar opposite states would team up. Why Florida is also fighting, but as a third entity. Why the president is in his third term. Where any of the other states stand. How Texas and California got so much military hardware. How the "government forces" are so apparently easy to defeat. And so on. I'm sure the writers would claim they didn't want that stuff explained, and that's a legit thing to do. However, I don't think I'd buy it. Ultimately, this is a war movie written by the guy that also wrote Annihilation and 28 Days Later. To say he knows nothing about the military or basic strategy is underselling it. He probably loses every time he plays Tic Tac Toe.

But hey, he also knows nothing of presidential security, so he's consistent there. Added bonus, he also doesn't understand automobile physics. (You'll know it when you see it.)

Alex also directed this film. There are some really good scenes, but also a lot of garbage. Again, he knows NOTHING about the military, and I'm not just ripping him for the lack of reality, tension, or drama in the very few action scenes. I'm ripping him because everything is just such bullshit. There's a sniper scene that starts off really promising, but quickly becomes so stupid that it's almost a comedic skit. The constant overlays of music so we hear nothing but while we see shots he was trying really hard to make more emotionally gripping than they really are, were mostly annoying and pretentious.

Credit where it's due, the actors tried. Aside from Offerman who was honestly not great in his final scene, I cannot think of a single bad performance. Everyone was great.

To show how amateur hour this film is though, the absolute best performance in the film was by Jesse Plemons, the soldier wearing the red sun glasses. He's fucking UNCREDITED. In fact, a shitton of people were uncredited. WTF? Could A24 not cut checks for extras or something? And yeah, that scene "What kind of American?" is easily the best in the film. It's legit riveting, filled with tension, and off the charts acting.

BTW, I think Troy might be onto something with Offerman doing a kinda, sorta Trump impression. I'd even add that his line at the end is also in that character. BUT, did you happen to notice that the VP was a light skinned black woman. (also uncredited) Was that supposed to be Kamala Harris?

Great acting throughout and one truly memorable scene aren't enough to save this boring road trip movie for me.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”