Cutting your own STEAKS

For the self-sufficiency stuff that you do, or want to discuss
GORDON
Site Admin

Cutting your own STEAKS

Post by GORDON »

* This isn't really, purely "homesteading," this could be in the Costco thread under "tips and tricks." But if you're awesome enough to be able to buy 1/4 or 1/2 of a cow from a farmer.... or even super awesome and grow your own cow.... here's a wee bit of butchering wisdom.

Was at Costco with the intention of buying a strip loin, today, as industry buzz is that the price of beef is going up due to a shortage. Imagine my surprise when I got there and the per-pound price was the lowest I've seen in 5 years. $7.70 per..... two months ago it was $10. So I bought two loins. (pre-cut NY strip steaks, right next to these, were $10.50 per pound. I saved about $75 cutting them myself).

PXL_20231010_204836070.MP.jpg

Disclaimer, I've never received any former butcher training, I've just done this about a thousand times so I know what works for me. Pro-Tip.... sharpen that carving knife. It'll take 3-4 gentle pulls through the meat to get it to the bottom. By the time I'd done 20 steaks, I could tell the hone was gone, it was getting harder to cut through the fat on the bottom.

PXL_20231010_213052570.MP.jpg

That's what a steak looks like. I like them thick, approximately 1.75", because I like a heavy char on the outside of a bloody rare steak. I got 25 steaks out of those 31 pounds, so even if you consider what was left over waste, that's still about $10 per steak. If you're half-way good at cooking it, it'll be comparable to a $20+ restaurant steak.

PXL_20231010_210627878.MP.jpg

As we know, I use the waste fat to make tallow, a replacement for cooking oil. This is a typical fat trim off of a steak, from the loin.

PXL_20231010_220340056.MP.jpg

31 pounds of Choice, NY Strip loin, $240, became 25 steaks of 14-16 ounces each, 2 16 ounce packages of end pieces that will become steak tacos or beef tips, and a big pot of fat that I am currently rendering into tallow.

You can do it. Be brave. And also make sure you have a vacuum sealer and chest freezer handy (both available at Costco, because they know what it means to buy in bulk).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cutting your own STEAKS

Post by TheCatt »

That's pretty awesome. You should get a sous vide setup since the steaks are already vacuum sealed, and finish them on the - whatever hot heat you use - pan/grill/whatever.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cutting your own STEAKS

Post by GORDON »

Yes, I thought about adding that. You can season or whatever before you vacuum seal. Value added. I just typically don't season mine at all.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cutting your own STEAKS

Post by GORDON »

Meat grades:

Choice is the minimum quality I'll purchase, but Prime is better. Usually a couple dollars per pound more, but you can taste it. Waygu is better than Prime, starts about $99 per pound, and has like 5 grades within the grade. Usually looks like a hunk of fat, to me. YMMV.

Costco in my area hasn't seen a Prime loin in years. Butcher says they're hard to find, so when they do get a loin or two they'll butcher it in store and sell it for more, cut up.

Every now and then you'll find a Choice that wasn't quite as marbled as Prime should be, but it's close. Score.