Make your own HOT SAUCE

For the self-sufficiency stuff that you do, or want to discuss
GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

Anyone can buy hot sauce like some sort of boujie socialite, but people who've got it figured out will make their own.

Step 1, create a universe so you have a place to grow your peppers.
creating-my-universe-michael-richardson.jpg

Once that's done, find a hot sauce you like, and then find a copycat recipe for it so you have an idea of what kind of peppers you need to grow. My kid and I were annihilating several large bottles of Franks Redhot every year, so I started there.
PXL_20230916_184919824.MP.jpg

Then I grew a garden full of peppers, from seedlings I got at the greenhouse. I am going to attempt to winter them this year and use the same plants next year, but that's a different post. Also, if you have chicken shit compost, peppers love that shit. Look at this lush raised bed.
PXL_20230916_184424466.MP.jpg

Pick what you need for your batch. This time around it's mostly cayanne, but I like a little extra heat so I'm adding a little Carolina Reaper. WHich is one of the hottest peppers on the planet, and needs to be respected.
PXL_20230916_184851092.MP.jpg

I'm only going to use that little middle section. A whole pepper would make it too hot.

PXL_20230916_185234279.MP.jpg

Simmer for about 20 minutes.
PXL_20230916_185726677.MP.jpg

Blend well. Pro-tip: REALLY blend it well. The first couple batches I didn't blend well enough, and the skins didn't get fully chopped up. And then the skin bits rolled up tight and were like little toothpicks in my gut. I noticed when my gut and o-ring started getting extra sensitive, and there was some blood. Good times. I went back and blended it again, once I figured that out. No problems since.
PXL_20230916_192813773.MP.jpg

Put the puree back in the pot, simmer another 10-15 for Jesus and to make sure you got any microbes that may have been in the blender.
PXL_20230916_193232250.MP.jpg

Put it in your repurposed Frank's Redhot bottle from last winter. I run mine through a StarSan cleanser bath (that I already use on my home brewing stuff) and give it time to dry before I bottle the super-hot liquid.
PXL_20230916_194203384.MP.jpg

Then file it away with the other bottles you already made, and enjoy it over the winter.
PXL_20230916_194230915.MP.jpg

I get the extra satisfaction of knowing there are zero bugs in my organic hot sauce, unlike stuff on the shelf which is allowed a >0 amount of bugs and rat feces and stuff. Also, my "Franks RedHot Copycat" is a bit thicker than the stuff you buy, and if you look at the ingredients Frank adds water. So there aint no water added to mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by Leisher »

I got a burger at EZ Street Cafe once that made me sweat. It had cajun seasoning, and didn't burn my mouth. That's the sort of heat I love.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by TheCatt »

That's pretty.... Hot.

Hot as I can go is like Texas Pete.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

Texas Pete is a smidge hotter than Franks.

The kid and I could prolly chug a bottle of Frank's, if dared.
Leisher
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by Leisher »

I've never had Texas Pete, but yeah Frank's isn't bad. I don't "love" the flavor though. I use it, but it's not something I put on everything.

Gordon, do you eat at Balance? I want to make dups of their Nuts4Pao and Thai Guy sauces.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

No. Is it some sort of hippy restaurant?
Leisher
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

I'm as constant as the northern star.
Leisher
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by Leisher »

I'd pay real money if you'd shut up.
GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

The are not the hell your whales.
Leisher
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by Leisher »

Well double dumbass on you!

We have totally derailed this thread.
GORDON
Site Admin

Make your own HOT SAUCE

Post by GORDON »

I've gone through 3 bottles, since I started making it in late August.

For those keeping track at home:
1 - Straight cayenne - delicious
2 - Straight jalapeño - delicious
3 - Mostly cayenne bit a couple jalapeños - delicious
4 - Mostly jalapeno, but a single, whole carolina reaper - Really good, and pretty hot. I'd guess it would be on the medium-hot scale, at Buffalo Wild Wings. So decent heat, but isn't killing you and you can appreciate the flavor. So by volume, it's a single hot pepper in a large, costco-sized volume of otherwise mild sauce.

My kid got the small bottle of pure reaper, from a while back. He does agree that it's impossibly hot. He sprinkles a few drops on dorm room leftovers, now and then.

edit -
5 - Mostly cayenne, one pablano, one jalapeño - delicious