The VMAs

Audio Tawk
Leisher
Site Admin

The VMAs

Post by Leisher »

Last night I was visiting with my 14 year old middle daughter and she was watching the VMAs waiting for Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo to show up. (If you want street cred, I can tell you what songs from those two you should know. All my daughters' friend think I'm the shit because I can name some Swift songs.)

We saw some names I knew like Shakira (she looks fantastic), and...that might have been it.

However, almost everyone else I not only did not recognize, I had never heard of them. I felt better though as I would ask my daughter who people were and she didn't know either.

I think the music industry has gotten far too oversaturated. Making music has gotten too easy because 90% of the acts don't play instruments anymore. Thus, there are way, way too many artists considered names that are really just niche. It's like if VAST had showed up on the red carpet. Sure, Gordon and I would know who that is, and maybe some of you would recognize the name because of us, but the majority of the audience has no fucking idea.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The VMAs

Post by GORDON »

I still play a VAST station on Pandora, once a week

The labels were kind of evil, but they were good at putting a handful of artists with wide appeal in front of the country, and we all had something in common then, if even just a pop music act.

Now everyone with a little luck and a YouTube account can find 10k followers and be a celebrity. No more mass appeal and common experiences for us.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

The VMAs

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:16 am Shakira (she looks fantastic)
She's single now too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The VMAs

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:12 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:16 am Shakira (she looks fantastic)
She's single now too.
Would. Especially if she sings She Wolf while we do it.
It's not me, it's someone else.