Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (AppleTV+)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Good trailer. Great setup at the end.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Do you think the "Monsters" with the legacy will be the people of Monarch, themselves?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Probably. They have to make it about humans somehow.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm two episodes in.

Production value is A+.

So far the show is heavily doing the "two separate eras" thing. And not infrequently. Sometimes it switches between the 1950s and 2010s every five minutes, or so. Personally, I don't like that gimmick... But at least they aren't trying to hide it and make it a big reveal, ala Westworld. I'd prefer they just told a linear story, but that's just me.

Anyway, so far it's decent. They're doing a thing where Kurt Russel is the present-day character, and his actual son is playing the younger version of the character. Apparently that's never been done before.

And yes, to answer my previous ponder, they kind of are suggesting the people of Monarch are the monsters. In this show they seem to have a lot more power and influence than was suggested in the movies.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm They're doing a thing where Kurt Russel is the present-day character, and his actual son is playing the younger version of the character. Apparently that's never been done before.
Close though
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I find Wyatt Russel to be a decent, charismatic actor.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm They're doing a thing where Kurt Russel is the present-day character, and his actual son is playing the younger version of the character. Apparently that's never been done before.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7405458/ ?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Episode 4 was..... all the action was there, but also a ton of young adult angst. I got a bit tired of "girl is so angry at not being catered to, she just can't even, and is going to storm off." Including in a remote spot in the middle of the arctic circle. And I was thinking, "Yes, please go and die so we can move on with the interesting stuff."

So, I don't know if I should be annoyed with all the annoying young-people stuff, or if I should be impressed that they wrote young people so well.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Episode 5. Too much young adult angst, not enough monsters. I feel like they're taking something awesome and making it not awesome.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Episode 6.

33% YAY MONSTERS
33% jealous love triangle
33% angsty young adults NO I WONT FOLLOW YOU ANY MORE EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A DESERT AGAIN
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sounds like they need to watch Godzilla Minus One and learn.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Episode 10: finally a monster fight.

What this did right: it filled in all the Monarch blanks we'd already seen lightly glossed over in end credit redacted memos. This part wasn't bad. Tied up all the movies together even better than they were.

What it did neutral: it filled in more blanks than maybe anybody wanted. Dissention in the ranks of Monarch, politics, competing visions? Galore.

What it did wrong: giving at least half the screen time to <25 year olds, all competing for "Most Annoying Person in the World" Guinness 2017 awards. When they weren't on screen, good show. When they were on screen, terrible show.

I don't know who this show was made for.