The Outer Worlds (Spacer's Choice Edition)

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

An FPS RPG that is absolutely flooded with dialog and story. Seriously, if you're a "skip the story to get to the action" person, stop reading now. This game is not for you. Stranger, this means you.

The setting is Halcyon, a solar system far from Earth. You were aboard the Hope, twin ship of the Groundbreaker. Both ships were sent here from Earth to colonize this system. Thing is, the Hope didn't make it. However, you have been awaken from your cryosleep by a wanted criminal whose is tasking you with helping him save the system.

I have to mention this now: This might not have been intended to be, but it is a scathing attack on unchecked capitalism. In Halcyon the corporations rule all, and working is considered living. The corporations aren't just your employer, they are your way of life. Work perfectly and you could even earn the ultra rare 15 minute break. If you die on the job, the corporation will charge you. People recite jingles and slogans like they are normal parts of speech. Meanwhile, the utopia is where the executives live and face absolutely no danger. Their lives are empty for other reasons so they turn to booze, drugs, splat races, and so on. The corporations are so focused on earning profit that they're hardly thinking about how they're killing the entire colony.

Everything is very tongue in cheek, but also not. That might not make sense, but it will.

The story is really solid and the dialogue is excellently written and voice acted. Some of the character you meet, as in any story, are unmemorable, but others are very memorable. There is a lot humor both overtly and hidden. I've played much funnier games, but the effort is appreciated.

The game looks fantastic and the design behind the worlds is great, but can be a bit repetitive. The action parts play very nicely, but your companions will drive you nuts. The guns feel great, but there's a bit of overlap in them, imho. It did give more options, but I stuck with specific ones and never looked back. Plus, you have skills to improve your abilities, and you probably will only specialize in one, so multiple weapons becomes an unappealing option. They still work, but fights will get a lot tougher.

The skill system is extremely varied. More so because of additional perks. Even your companions get perks. (More on them later.) I was able to "max" two skills being a completionist and finishing at lvl 48. I think I got every possible quest? There are probably 20 or so skills, and depending on what you choose, your game play will vary greatly from how others play.

The companions come in six flavors and it's possible to not recruit any. All but one has a storyline that can be played through. One of them is really short. Three are medium sized. The last one is large and involves running around all over, but it's for the most charming character, so it's enjoyable.

Sound like something you wouldn't do? Don't. This is an RPG. Do whatever you want. There's a video out there of someone who, literally, killed every other human in Halcyon. You will always be given dialogue choices along the lines of honorable, honest, wise, and total asshole.

Additionally, there are many choices to make within the story that will affect your ending. Don't worry, there are only two "core" endings, but the breakdown of your team, side quests, etc. change based on your choices.

The ending I got was good, but there was a giant unanswered question that I hope is the plot of the sequel...

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:28 pm This game is not for you. Stranger, this means you.
Yeah, usually not my thing in games, you've got that correct. Yet, i'm currently playing a game that has more cutscenes than the whole series of Game of Thrones. I can't explain it, maybe i'm turning a new leaf??

That being said, i've read some really good things about this game.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!