Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition

Post by Leisher »

I have no idea where I got this one and it is not on the Steam Store. I googled to find out why, and...
In early 2015, it was discovered that developer Nicolas Games had illegally used Unreal Engine assets to create Insanity. The resultant backlash, which included a disastrous lawsuit, ultimately led to Nicolas Games declaring bankruptcy and both Insanity and Reconquest being pulled from distributors due to its illegal engine use. Any further episodes of Reconquest are extremely unlikely to ever be released.
The story is that you're a shrink in a post-apocalyptic shelter in Poland. Sublevel 2 has stopped reporting in and you're send in to investigate. Hijinx ensue and now everyone wants you dead. Spoilers because I don't think you can find this game anymore: It's Fight Club. You're the nutjob. You kill everyone in this shelter, imagine monsters and a saboteur. Perhaps the toxic cloud was real and the residents of sublevel 2 really were nuts too, but you still kill everyone.

Here's the thing: You'll KNOW what's happening, but the story is told really, really, shockingly badly. It's a mess. And I played the Extended Edition that supposed had fixes for the story, which had already been savaged by critics. The dialogue and cut scenes play out like half the script is missing.

The game play is over the shoulder shooter. Combat is melee and ranged, with the melee combat never evolving past the first time you do it. Doesn't matter what weapon you have and how the baddies change, it's always the same. Ranged is ranged and comes in handgun, shotgun, and assault rifle. Ammo is rare, but not crazy rare. I saw a reviewer say he beat the game using just guns, which I find hard to believe. Although melee is a total non-factor in the last few chapters.

The game is SUPER linear and not very long. I think it took 5 hours to get through.

But you can't play it even if you wanted to, so I don't even have to tell you to skip it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”