Spoiled things you stuffed in your pie hole

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been known to eat old, and/or tainted things, in the name of zero food waste, from time to time.

Once I ate slimy lunch meat. Made my tummy gurgle once.

Once I ate ants ground up in my coffee beans. It was fine.

Last night I pushed the envelope, though.

Made a homemade pizza. Had a good crust from costco. Opened the sauce, poured it over. I like heavy sauce, so I opened the jar in the fridge and poured more over. Then I saw the big chunk of mold, as I started spooning it flat. Looked into the jar, mold. Fished the big mold chunk off the pizza, took a smell. Smelled musty like mold.

Fuck it, rolled the dice. Cheesed it, cut some premium peperoni off a stick, cooked it up.

Down the hatch. Every bite I could taste (or imagined I could) the musty mold.

I was fine.

Now you go.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:37 am I've been known to eat old, and/or tainted things
Dude, keep your gross sex life out of the food category. :D

I am the opposite of you. I don't like to waste food, but if it's questionable I'm not eating it.

Ate a lot of undercooked sausage way, way back in the day and I'm not interested in repeating that experience.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Probably the riskiest I do is eating several day old meat after I cooked it many days ago. I sure as fuck wouldn’t have eaten that tomato sauce. That being said, the risks are pretty low for most things.

Oh, I lived in Mexico for 4 months, and ate from street carts, etc. Does that count?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:10 pm Oh, I lived in Mexico for 4 months, and ate from street carts, etc. Does that count?
It'd be more impressive if you did that in China.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:57 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:10 pm Oh, I lived in Mexico for 4 months, and ate from street carts, etc. Does that count?
It'd be more impressive if you did that in China.
I'm not crazy
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:20 am Ate a lot of undercooked sausage way, way back in the day and I'm not interested in repeating that experience.
Undercooked sausage is the worst tasting protein to eat undercooked, for some reason.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Worst shits of my life came from a street vendor in Kuala Lampur.

And I had to fly the next day. Flight crew was accommodating when I couldn't go more than 30 minutes away from a toilet.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:48 pm Undercooked sausage is the worst tasting protein to eat undercooked, for some reason.
And for some reason it's becoming a thing to ask someone what temperature they want their pork.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 pm
GORDON wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:48 pm Undercooked sausage is the worst tasting protein to eat undercooked, for some reason.
And for some reason it's becoming a thing to ask someone what temperature they want their pork.
Cuz they used to cook the hell out of pork. Depending on how it's cooked, below 160 can be safe. If held at temp long enough.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

IVE HEARD that trichinosis is pretty much gone from USA pig processing plants. So.....
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:14 am Cuz they used to cook the hell out of pork.
I get it. I hate dry pork, but on some of the cooking shows I've seen it's still pinkish, and fuck that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:40 am
TheCatt wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:14 am Cuz they used to cook the hell out of pork.
I get it. I hate dry pork, but on some of the cooking shows I've seen it's still pinkish, and fuck that.
Sous vide it, and it can be pink and tasty.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sure, but done in an oven, on a grill/stovetop? Nope.