My Upcoming Yellowstone trip

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Going mid July. This thread will be the evidence when I get eaten by a fucking grizzly, because we're spending several days in the back country, sleeping rough.

So I corresponded with a local ranger station, several of the days will be outside the park in a national forest. The trail I found hasn't even been documented on Alltrails.com yet, I'll be the first one (either to do it, or survive, I don't know). But I asked a few questions, and here's the fun reply:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out to us. First off Mount Maurice had a very large fire two summers ago, so the north and east faces are one large burn scar now. As long as you stay on the trails you shouldn’t have any issues with landowners/ranchers.

Here are some great hikes close to us that you could check out as well:

(none of them were what I'm looking for.... I'm sticking to my original trail because we were coming in from the south and west. We'll be able to see the scar, but won't be in it)

This is grizzly country, so always smart to be aware of what’s going on around you in the forest as well as what season it is. Right now, all the bears are just starting to wake up so they’re a little moody and hungry. Versus in the fall, they’re pretty fat and happy getting ready for hibernation. When you get closer to the grasslands it is good practice to be wary of where you step as we do have rattle snakes out in the low grass lands (not a ton but they are there). This part of Montana is part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, so we have a very diverse animal population including: moose, deer, antelope, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats, cougar, wolves (not many), coyotes, foxes, badgers, porcupines, black and grizzly bears, wolverines, and river otters.

There have been some recent studies done on bear spray vs. fire arm protection against bears (mainly grizzlies). It has shown that the use of just bear spray to defend yourself has around a 25% chance of a fatal encounter vs. use of just a firearm and that fatality rate goes up to about 65%. When a firearm is brought into the scenario most bears will take this as an attack and will want to defend themselves. But when it’s bear spray, the bear does not take it as an attack and just becomes disorientated and confused. This then will allow you to get out of the area to somewhere safe. It really is up to you how you decide to protect yourself, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. Also, most stores in Red Lodge sell bear spray so it’s easy to pick up.

We’re in the office most days and can answer any questions, feel free to give us a call.
I asked if it was foolish to not come strapped, that last bit was their answer. I think I'll go strapped for the little things, and just say FUCKIT, BOY, YOU RUN and take on the angry grizzly.

I'm a shark whisperer. I swim toward them, and feel calm, and even got bit once and never stopped diving. But a fucking grizzly makes me real damned fucking nervous...... which is why I'm looking forward to this so much. It's good to face your fears now and then, make sure you don't get out of practice. Remind yourself how it feels to be alive.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If it's black, attack. If it's brown, lay down. If it's white, say goodnight. Good luck. I hope you make it home alive and unmaimed. Post pics once you return.
GORDON wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:10 pmRemind yourself how it feels to be alive.
Unfortunately, I'm all too aware of what it feels like to be alive.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Just show the bears how they are supposed to act.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:48 am Just show the bears how they are supposed to act.
It'd be a different world if animals acted how they did in cartoons.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 am
TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:48 am Just show the bears how they are supposed to act.
It'd be a different world if animals acted how they did in cartoons.
We'd lose so many picnic baskets though
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Doing my research. Read this, tonight.

https://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/how-pack-bear-can/

Look at what's in the sidebar of this dot gov:
BACKCOUNTRY FOOD SUGGESTIONS:
Trail mix String cheese Jerky Tortillas, pita bread Dried fruit Nutrition/energy bars 
Peanut butter
 Salami and sliced meats Powdered milk Granola Nuts 
Instant coffee and 
tea Hot chocolate Candy Spaghetti, flat pasta Mac and cheese Burritos (dehydrated beans, rice, cheese) Soups Oatmeal Tuna packets “Tasty Bite” (Indian food packs) Fresh veggies (for the first few nights) Freeze-dried meals 
Condiment packets
 Chocolate More chocolate Consider chocolate
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Lol. Guess it's chocolate time.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We're heading west at 6am tomorrow. In 3 days we'll be humping up a mountain in grizzly country. I don't know what my cell service will look like out there.

As of tomorrow: see you when I see you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Good luck humping a bear of your choice!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hope they all understand the concept of consent.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Good luck!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Currently in a crapper in a rest stop in Indiana. No wildlife yet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:33 am Currently in a crapper in a rest stop in Indiana. No wildlife yet.
I recently went to Wyoming for the first time. We crossed the border from Utah, I pooped, we left.

Indiana is basically poop.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was going to try and post a pic of my lunch view of Devils Tower but forum said image size too big.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:31 pm Was going to try and post a pic of my lunch view of Devils Tower but forum said image size too big.
Unlike all those penis pics you post.

Stupid forum.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We're in a national forest ATM. There was a bear in our campsite last night. Freaked people out and some left.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

People you were with or just randoms?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Randoms.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »