Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Glanced at some meme the other day, "It took a global pandemic, enforced curfews and quarantines, and millions suddenly unemployed to return us to the highs of the Obama economy."

I'm guessing Catt has an answer for that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I've seen that too. Obviously it's biased, but I'm sure it's based on skewing the meaning of actual numbers. Like how unemployment was the lowest ever under Trump until this, or something like that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Oof. On the other hand, Fed said it was sticking up to another $2.3 trillion into the economy, so the market is looking up at the moment.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Glanced at some meme the other day, "It took a global pandemic, enforced curfews and quarantines, and millions suddenly unemployed to return us to the highs of the Obama economy."

I'm guessing Catt has an answer for that.
People seem to forget that recession started under Bush. Obama economy just grew.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Do we blame this more on people being paid too little or people not being able to be responsible with their money?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Do we blame this more on people being paid too little or people not being able to be responsible with their money?
I don't know. I see so many stories of both.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

It'll be interesting to see how people change their habits when this is over.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I had seen this being discussed here and there on the Twitters, but CNN never did a story on it that I saw. Just noticed this one today while looking up the Fauci "don't shake hands anymore" story.

People are pissed about the additional $600 in unemployment checks.

Got to say, rightly so.

I saw a tweet on the left wing side of Twitter I follow where a woman was praising Sanders for her dad being laid off, but now making more than he did while working. (Why is she crediting Sanders?) And this was not snark or sarcasm.

I've no issue with folks getting enough to pay their bills, but we should be taking care of those still working as well IF they are making less than their out of work peers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: (Why is she crediting Sanders?)
Sanders is the one who held up the Senate debate until they approved this level of unemployment expansion.

It's a little crazy, but there will always be cracks and drawbacks to any scheme. It's 4 months of money to keep people afloat until the economy recovers, aimed at that those least likely to have sufficient savings, etc.

Making it a $600 flat check means not having to go in and validate everyone's story + income (think of the processing time and resources it would take, just for a 4 month scheme).
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Making it a $600 flat check means not having to go in and validate everyone's story + income (think of the processing time and resources it would take, just for a 4 month scheme).
Completely get that, but I suppose they could have aimed towards a specific salary level rather than just paying those out of a job more money.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Making it a $600 flat check means not having to go in and validate everyone's story + income (think of the processing time and resources it would take, just for a 4 month scheme).
Completely get that, but I suppose they could have aimed towards a specific salary level rather than just paying those out of a job more money.
it's aimed at anyone making < $1,000 per week, more or less. ($600 + State, which averages $400, but has a wide range). So around $52k/yr
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: it's aimed at anyone making < $1,000 per week, more or less.
But who have been laid off, yes?

My point was, let's give equal pay to the ones at the same pay rate who are still working.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: it's aimed at anyone making < $1,000 per week, more or less.
But who have been laid off, yes?

My point was, let's give equal pay to the ones at the same pay rate who are still working.
Ah, gotcha. Well, take that up with Congress. Hopefully the people still working have benefits, unlike the people not working.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

We'll just sit 10' away from each other. How many fans can be in there? Like 1000 in a 70,000 person stadium?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Head of IMF predicting "worst economic collapse since the Great Depression."

She must have read my prediction a few weeks ago.

https://time.com/5818819/imf-coronaviru ... -collapse/
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Due to recent layoffs and furloughs, only 69 per cent of US renters were able to make rent on April 1.
Nice.