Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I'm all for most laissez faire philosophy, but housing is a different animal.

I think most peeps would consider it a basic human need, since y'all consider smart phones and internet to be.

And there are arguments to be made that home ownership promotes a sense of community, of ownership of a neighborhood, you are just passing through. So making it tougher to own houses could conceivably make society worse than it already is.

No home owner will fill his own toilet with concrete and pull copper on the way out. A renter may.

Might compare it to corporations buying up all the fresh water and running the price and scarcity up (Nestle, and Arabian alfalfa growers in Arizona doing exactly this).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 pm Banks are excluded from rules for obvious reasons, but they should have some limit on how long they can keep a house off the market (Maybe? Catt, would that be unfair to them? Would they care?)
Banks don't own enough houses for it to matter (assuming we're talking about mortgage holders/defaults). If you mean investment banks, that's a different horse.
Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 pm -Houses should be off the market as investment assets, ala what Blackrock has been doing.
OK, there we go.
Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 pm -AirBnB and their ilk should be limited to a certain number of houses. I have no idea how that would look, but I'm thinking it would need to be controlled on a city by city basis. Resort cities should probably allow a higher percentage than say, Detroit.
NYC recently took a bunch of AirBnbs off market. I don't know if it has changed housing/rental market much, but hotels are more expensive. Seems logically, that housing would fall a little.
Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 pm Related question: We see lots of stories on the news about stupid squatter laws hurting the average citizen, but Blackrock owns a shitton of houses. If they're vacant, why aren't people moving into them?
Blackrock owns homes to rent them out, not to sit on them.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:48 pm Blackrock owns homes to rent them out, not to sit on them.

Damn shame. It would have been hilarious to organize a massive squatter movement against them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:44 pm
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:33 pm Another article about how people just starting out can't afford their dream home because they want to skip the starter home phase?
Listen, I'm on your side with the whole "earn your way there" thing, but you lose me if you think houses are priced correctly. Especially with interest rates being where they are compared to where they had been recently.
This reminds me of my "I don't buy candy bars any more because I'm not paying $1.79 for something I used to pay $.50 for". Conditions right now are not that different from when I bought my previous house. Prices were up (beginning of the balloon), and our interest rate was around 7%.

I will give you that houses and loans are up from their record lows, but I don't think things are broken right now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:50 pm I will give you that houses and loans are up from their record lows, but I don't think things are broken right now.
Well all the real estate experts think you're wrong, so...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:50 pm I will give you that houses and loans are up from their record lows, but I don't think things are broken right now.
"rEaL eStAtE ExPeRtS"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:43 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm
"rEaL eStAtE ExPeRtS"
I chuckled.

To be fair to them, they know more than us.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

"Expert" says the US will become a "renter nation".

Makes sense. Most people can't afford a house now. The long term plan is probably to push everyone out of home ownership. No more pesky people owning their own homes and contributing nothing to a corporation's bottom line! How do we feed the insatiable Wall St machine unless we're constantly squeezing people for every cent?

HaaS (Homes as a Service)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

The Native Americans will finally get their way.... "You can't OWN land, or a tree."

You can only pay someone to borrow it for a while.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:40 am The Native Americans will finally get their way.... "You can't OWN land, or a tree."
I would correct that to "YOU can't own land, or a tree."

Someone's going to own it, just not us slaves.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Want more housing? Get rid of rent control https://www.wsj.com/articles/albany-dem ... yURL_share
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Econ prof in 1996 used NYC rent control as an example of artificial scarcity.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

That's a really good article.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

wow.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Plenty of room for growth in Poland.

Surprised at Canada though, tf?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:03 pm Surprised at Canada though, tf?
I was more surprised about Poland. Good for them.

I guess I would have thought France would be lower too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:14 pm Want more housing? Get rid of rent control https://www.wsj.com/articles/albany-dem ... yURL_share

This is bullshit. Her lottery win is just displacing other people, raising their rents.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I like the comment in that thread saying she's essentially a squatter. It's true.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

We could just build + buy smaller housing.