Baldur's Gate 3

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Stranger

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:44 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:32 pm PC Gamer says BG3 ruined Starfield.

BG3 is really this game changing?
I dunno. I bought both but have only played Starfield, and that reviewer feels right to me so far.
Absolutely IS game changing. I have not played Starfield and i'm sure its really good but BG3 is a must play game.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Would likely be burning some hours in BG3 if I wasn't totally addicted to Dark and Darker. The sheer scope of everything you can do is pretty rad.

E: damn that review is rough. If true, it's a big falloff for Bethesda. I couldn't imagine saying some of those things about Skyrim. Re-using content? boo.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 pm Re-using content? boo.
Could not agree more.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Catching up on this game properly after getting distracted on some other games and projects. It's SOOOO good. I'm level 5, don't want to leave act 1 yet and picking every fight in the underdark I can. Got a sweet ring to hopefully not make me go full tadpole.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

I damn near bought this Sunday night, but I saw Fallout 4 Director's Cut sitting in my queue waiting to be played. I figured I should knock that out before spending $60 on BG3.

I cannot wait to get to this one. I've yet to hear a single negative thing about it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

There are just so many choices - and they effect the game, how factions treat you, who survives from Chapter to Chapter. I sometimes feel bad when I want to make a choice but can't because I can't seem to hit an ability check so I reload. Other times I just go with the roll. Except for the one time in game when a certain person MURDERED ME because I failed all my rolls.

I think it's stupid that Karmic Dice setting is ON by default - the game will roll everything like a 72 degree day if it is - It took me a while to notice it as an experienced D&D player, but it's a lame. Gimmie those 3 1's in a row, I earned them.

e: Also there's an advanced playthrough where you are a game-induced impulsive murderer - it's called "Dark Urge" - and sounds wild
Stranger

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Stranger »

Such a great game. I've got two playthroughs going right now. One i play solo and another i've co-op'd with a friend. Haven't played as much the last few weeks but i've still yet to make it to act 3 in either play through. Playing two separate playthroughs lets you see that no two games will be the same. Due to some decisions i made in my solo game i pretty much had no vendors to buy and sell to because they all were dead or weren't aligned with my choices. This seriously gimped my whole act 1 playthrough, fun!

I also ended up killing a potential party member as i thought the quest i was on was just like any other. I killed someone i thought was bad, and some (unfortunate dice rolls) this member is a huge part of the story if you want them to be, but she is gone forever in my game now.

And yes, turn OFF Karmic Dice. I was fortunate enough to watch a youtube video before i started playing that said to do the same. Roll with the dice, let them tell the story, its just more fun. Rolling a 1 at the most inopportune time can lead to some game changing things, but also, not so bad all the time either.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:45 am I also ended up killing a potential party member as i thought the quest i was on was just like any other. I killed someone i thought was bad, and some (unfortunate dice rolls) this member is a huge part of the story if you want them to be, but she is gone forever in my game now.
Ha - I know who you are talking about. I figured she was what everyone said she was so I left her until the end of act 1. I did the same, but maybe I'll try her and her nemesis out on a evil playthrough with the Dark Urge later!

I just started act 2 going the deep way. My team is a me (Paladin of Ancients), Gale, Shadowheart, and Astarion. It took me a while to figure out a good main character but Paladin seems like a good bet - it's the face of your party with Charisma and I couldn't find a voiced npc version like the other archetypes - and especially now that I'm seeing what Act 2 has in store!

It's hard to choose between the NPC you want to play with. They are all interesting and have significant quirks and upgrades you can do.
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Haven't been able to play for a few weeks because of travel. But some updates from my last session.

1) My half orc Paladin lady has banged two of my male companions (Halsen/Gale) (turned down Astarion, that freak)
2) "Won" the game in the second act. Via exploding Gale and destroying half the continent, the entire party, and the big bad guys - reloaded that decision so I could actually progress
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

One of Stranger's buddies at a X-Mas party last night was talking it up.

This will be my first purchase when the Steam X-Mas sale begins.
Stranger

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Stranger »

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-67656550

As i predicted, BG3 wins game of the year along with 5 other awards and deservedly so.

Well done Larian Studios.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

Anyone get the Digital Deluxe edition? Worth it?
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:54 pm Anyone get the Digital Deluxe edition? Worth it?
I have it - though I don't remember specifically buying it. It was probably part of a pre-order. I think it's just extra magic items you can find and a (pretty sick) looking cosmetic pirate hat you can find too. I think a bunch of the loot is randomized in location so it's not guaranteed you find it anywhere or on any specific vendor.

I'm very slowly feeling out Act 3 after being initially overwhelmed like crazy with all the stuff to do.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

Thank you sir. It's an additional $8, which who cares, but I think the digital character sheets are drawing me to it. They look cool. They don't mention any sort of in game items or anything like that. I'm guessing that hat might be preorder only.
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:40 am Thank you sir. It's an additional $8, which who cares, but I think the digital character sheets are drawing me to it. They look cool. They don't mention any sort of in game items or anything like that. I'm guessing that hat might be preorder only.
I tried to find the extra digital content like the character sheets but I couldn't figure out where to download those things.

e: oh it's just in PDFs in the game files. And it's cool :shock: 97 page PDF. the game art PDF is better than the character sheets, imo.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

A 97 page PDF of drawn character sheets? That's got to be a massive file.
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:51 pm A 97 page PDF of drawn character sheets? That's got to be a massive file.
The big one is a game art, items, different character portraits, enemies, etc. The character sheets are in a different, worse art style.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:54 pm The character sheets are in a different, worse art style.
Interesting. I think I'll save my $8 and if that piece drops to $1, which it inevitably will, I'll grab it then.
Troy

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Troy »

When everyone plays this we should try to see how far we can get together in multiplayer on Honor Mode. It's full wipe = game over.
Leisher
Site Admin

Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Leisher »

I would give that a go.

What happens if only one person dies? Is resurrect in the game or does the person have to roll a new character?

It'd be fun to give the D&D crew a go through it along with Catt.