The SCOTUS thread

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Agreed. I feel that platforms should definitely remove some level of content though. CP/etc being the obvious, and gets greyer.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS rules against Andy Warhol's estate for use of Prince photo.
The Supreme Court has ruled that Andy Warhol has infringed on the copyright of Lynn Goldsmith, the photographer who took the image that he used for his famous silkscreen of the musician Prince. Goldsmith won the justices over 7-2, disagreeing with Warhol's camp that his work was transformative enough to prevent any copyright claims. In the majority opinion written by Justice Sonia Sotomayor, she noted that "Goldsmith's original works, like those of other photographers, are entitled to copyright protection, even against famous artists."
Goldsmith's story goes as far back as 1984, when Vanity Fair licensed her Prince photo for use as an artist reference. The photographer received $400 for a one-time use of her photograph, which Warhol then used as the basis for a silkscreen that the magazine published. Warhol then created 15 additional works based on her photo, one of which was sold to Condé Nast for another magazine story about Prince. The Andy Warhol Foundation (AWF) — the artist had passed away by then — got $10,000 it, while Goldsmith didn't get anything.
The justices who wrote the majority opinion, however, believe that it "will not impoverish our world to require AWF to pay Goldsmith a fraction of the proceeds from its reuse of her copyrighted work. Recall, payments like these are incentives for artists to create original works in the first place."
I don't think it's unreasonable that Warhol would pay something. But I don't know how you determine what that fraction is. And if the end result of this is "pay something" like sampling audio in music, I'm OK with that. If it equates to "Warhol has no rights to do this," then it's too far. Or if Goldsmith could block the sale, etc.

The transformative portion of copyright has always been vague.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:33 am The transformative portion of copyright has always been vague.
Yep.

Half of Stephen He's material would be gone if they enforced trademark/copyright stuff the way it should be done. (He mocks all the knock off stuff.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

This week SCOTUS said race should not be a factor in student admissions.

They also said that POTUS cannot just willy-nilly decide to cancel student debt. CNN headline Op piece agrees.

They are correct on both counts.

What's disturbing are the responses:

Someone might want to explain to this MSNBC talking head about the 3 branches of government and checks and balances. Nothing about this looks good for Gavin, and this is fresh off of his reparations failure. Keep telling minorities how much they can't win unless YOU help them Gavin! That's not racist at all... Meanwhile, this tweet alone should get this woman ejected from public office. BTW, same woman...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Well, a million dollar home might be like 1500 sq ft up there.

Also, maybe she married someone with a decent job.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder if the student loan thing will make traveling better. That'd be nice
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:11 am Well, a million dollar home might be like 1500 sq ft up there.

Also, maybe she married someone with a decent job.
Totally fair. She is also attractive enough and clearly is in the proper circles to pull down someone who makes bank.

However, WTF is with her student loan? Maybe someone that gets into such a bad loan shouldn't be in charge of the country's budget...
TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:45 pm I wonder if the student loan thing will make traveling better. That'd be nice
'Splain?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe they’ll have to payback those loans that have been paused for 3 years, and not have enough money to travel
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Sotomayor used taxpayer money to buy her book? (Loads of copies, not just one.)

Sotomayor did not recuse herself in cases involving a publisher that paid her $3M.

Alito took a fishing vacation with a GOP donor.

I think my favorite part about all of this is the outrage many will have at one of those people and not the other. Nope, there will be excuses for "their justice".

If we had a real MSM they could write daily articles about the corruption at every level of government and about probably 85% of the politicians...Ds and Rs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Sotomayor absolutely should have recused.

And justices shouldn't be accepting shit from magical new friends they got when they became justices.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

No way this is real.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

Thank you. I get the "why" behind the quote, but I'm not sure I agree with where she was going with it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by Leisher »

I believe we had this story somewhere on the site, but the coach who sued to be allowed to pray and won resigned after his first game back.

That was calculated. I don't care what he says. And I don't blame him. Doesn't matter how you feel about his lawsuit, you must agree with not sticking around where you probably are not wanted. I'm quite certain his lawsuit cost that district a lot of money and he probably didn't make any friends.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

I just realized that banning abortion is payback on women for them not giving men any reproductive choices.

The way it's been, if a woman gets pregnant, everything is her choice, and a man can have parenthood and/or child support forced upon him.

Now, if abortion is illegal, women face the same consequence. Parenthood can be forced upon them. Women sure don't like that, it seems.

Interesting.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

The man had the choice to not sleep with the woman in the first place.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:19 pm The man had the choice to not sleep with the woman in the first place.
Well that's the classic line, isn't it. Problem is, one isn't allowed to tell women to "keep their legs shut" if they want to avoid unwanted pregnancy. So, I declare that isn't a valid thing to say to a male.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:21 pm
TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:19 pm The man had the choice to not sleep with the woman in the first place.
Well that's the classic line, isn't it. Problem is, one isn't allowed to tell women to "keep their legs shut" if they want to avoid unwanted pregnancy. So, I declare that isn't a valid thing to say to a male.
Women can also choose not to sleep with a man.

But once that baby is in her, she gets to decide. Her parasite.
GORDON
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by GORDON »

Yes. I know. Men have no reproductive rights in the USA, and SCOTUS evened that up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The SCOTUS thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:54 pm Yes. I know. Men have no reproductive rights in the USA, and SCOTUS evened that up.
Possession is 9/10th of the law or what-not. Abortion should be legal.