WOW Classic

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

WOW Classic

Postby GORDON » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 pm

I remember when we used to close Delucia.
Fuuuuuuck YOU.

Cakedaddy

WOW Classic

Postby Cakedaddy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 pm

That's what turns me off of most MMOs. There's no reward. It's just about the grind. Granted, that can be fun, but it usually gets boring for me pretty quickly.

That's another thing that seems to be missing (from the very few I've played). You don't establish known enemies. It's just faceless/nameless factions. I remember targeting specific people and making their lives miserable. There were hundreds of players in the game, but I only cared about the 5-15 we were warring and spent pretty much every minute in the game trying to ruin their day and destroy their guild. We could actually win a war. Most MMOs now, there is no winning or losing.

Leisher
Site Admin

WOW Classic

Postby Leisher » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post Most MMOs now, there is no winning or losing.

It's a double edged sword for the developers.

You either have actual risk vs reward and lose your audience pretty quickly that can't compete OR you eliminate the risk vs reward and lose the audience slowly as they get sick of grinding.
“I'm proud to introduce our new head coach, Mike Tomlin”
― Dan Snyder

Stranger

WOW Classic

Postby Stranger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post That's what turns me off of most MMOs. There's no reward. It's just about the grind.

this is going back 15 years, so it doesn't do all the hand holding that today's MMO's do. The most recent ones i played you were at max level in maybe 20-30 hours of game play and really had no difficulty getting through it. This game will kill you fast with just one or two everyday creatures, and your penalty is time and money. Also, there's a sense of adventure you've gotta walk everywhere you go (you do get flight paths that help bridge that gap, but then it becomes a financial burden).

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post That's another thing that seems to be missing (from the very few I've played). You don't establish known enemies

yeah, i know what you mean. i'm sure this is probably a little more prevalent in a guild v guild setting where your guilds are trying to get the epic drop from a world boss that spawns maybe once every 3-5 days. I'm sure you'd run into guilds that are trying to do the same.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Stranger

WOW Classic

Postby Stranger » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:56 am

200 hours to get to level 43 of 60 and i'm still loving it and seeing new places i've not adventured into yet. I've been through about 80% of the different locations but really only played in about 50% of them.

Been involved in some fun PvP action, where 40 or so Alliance overran a small town i was in at the time. The 20 of us under-leveled Horde and the town's guards couldn't hold them off so Grom'gol became a ghost town, all the NPC's were wiped.. So questing there wasn't an option anymore.

The dungeons are my favorite content so far. Getting a group of 5 together and making your plan of attack has been fun. I've yet to run into any toxic situations or people and most are actually happy for you when you get the drop you want. Looting is a little different when you're in a group situation. When a green or higher rarity drop you have the option to "need" or "greed" roll on that item. Basically if 2 of you "need" the item and the rest "greed" then the two that picked "need" will get to roll a d100 to see who actually gets the item. If you all pick "greed" then all roll and highest roll win.

So if your a warrior and a cloth armor drops then you roll "greed" and let the mages and supports get those items. This is an honor system and there's the chance that someone can ninja loot if everyone picks "greed" then the last one "need" rolls on something they don't really need, but i've yet to run into someone like that. Before i really knew how the system worked i know that i "need" rolled on items that i absolutely didn't need and probably deserved to be ridiculed for it but didn't. The community is really helpful and generally want to see you get your drops, which is cool.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Stranger

WOW Classic

Postby Stranger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 am

I'm beginning to think that hitting level 60 in this game might be one of my greatest gaming achievements ever. I'm currently at level 46 so that means i went up 3 levels in the past 10 days. Also, the honor system for PvP is getting implemented on Tuesday the 12th, so now there is incentive for people to actually go out and kill others which will make questing a bit more difficult.

I remember the grind to get to level 30 in LOL was pretty significant. You had to play tons of games to be able even go into ranked games, i also remember buying XP boosts because it felt like it was so long.

Borderlands 2, never got to max level but thats cause i got bored playing solo all the time. i believe i had something like 130 or so hours on that game and was at level 58?? So not even close to WOW Classic.

Archeage was a pretty fast leveling experience as i remember it, and pretty much all the other MMO's ive played in recent memory.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

GORDON
Site Admin

WOW Classic

Postby GORDON » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am

IIRC back when WoW was still a thing, people were speedrunning level 60 in like 3 days.
Fuuuuuuck YOU.

Stranger

WOW Classic

Postby Stranger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 am

GORDON wrote:Source of the post IIRC back when WoW was still a thing, people were speedrunning level 60 in like 3 days.

Oh yeah, they can and are doing it. But its my first time playing it so i don't know the most efficient way of running it. Plus there are many hours i've spent just roaming around basically being unproductive.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

GORDON
Site Admin

WOW Classic

Postby GORDON » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 am

Wasn't criticizing. Just saying "damn."
Fuuuuuuck YOU.

Stranger

WOW Classic

Postby Stranger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 am

GORDON wrote:Source of the post Wasn't criticizing. Just saying "damn."

I don’t know how they do it, they’re basically no lifers. From what I’ve read on WOW Reddit, most people seem to fall in the 8-10 days played so just over 200 hours. I’m looking at over 300 easy.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Return to “Games”