Europe

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:33 am That's like a record for them, and they don't know how to maintain shit long-term. They're accustomed to rebuilding new.
lol.
Leisher wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:03 pm Lots of garbage everywhere. No such thing as rest stops, and instead people just pull off the road and piss/shit there.
Same in Crete.
Leisher wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:03 pm They said a lot of things just seemed so backwards, as if the country was still stuck in a time frame from decades ago.
I really expected Switzerland to feel more modern (aside from the really old parts, etc) It's definitely first world country and all, but man. I dunno, I don't remember so many things being broken in NYC in April. Though, dirtier. And, man, handicap accessible is NOT a thing here at all. Lots of street curbs don't even have ramps at street crossings.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:02 pm handicap accessible is NOT a thing here at all.
That's really interesting. Do they not have groups that lobby for people with those needs? Or have they "final solutioned" them all?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Europe

Post by GORDON »

I've always felt there was a lot of ignorance in the perception of "enlightened Europe." They aren't, especially.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:39 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:02 pm handicap accessible is NOT a thing here at all.
That's really interesting. Do they not have groups that lobby for people with those needs? Or have they "final solutioned" them all?
Right? I was 100% surprised. I have no idea, but here's a wheelchair ramp we crossed today in Zurich, Switzerland at a designated crosswalk in the middle of the city.

And it sure as hell wasn't the only one. (My wife sprained her ankle badly early on our trip, so we've been using crutches + a wheelchair [when available] to get around)
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

Well, they might hate disabled people, but at least they still have real food over there.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:06 am Well, they might hate disabled people, but at least they still have real food over there.
ah yes, the grapes all have seeds. And low sugar sodas. And the bacon is terrible.
GORDON
Site Admin

Europe

Post by GORDON »

Bacon is prolly beef. That's what I ate in Muslim countries.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:45 am Bacon is prolly beef. That's what I ate in Muslim countries.
it's pork. It's just never crispy
GORDON
Site Admin

Europe

Post by GORDON »

Did you do DNA analysis?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:26 pm Did you do DNA analysis?
no, but I know pork.
GORDON
Site Admin

Europe

Post by GORDON »

Snap. Impressive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Italy upset about pineapple on pizza

Some days, this is the type of news I want to read.
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

My twins usually only eat Hawaiian pizza. I'm not a fan, but I'm not typically a fan of mixing fruit with my entrees. I'm even a snob of it in most cakes. You put a raspberry sauce on my chocolate cake and I'll punch you.

Side note: I'm also not a massive ham fan. It's fine, but it's among the last pizza toppings or deli meats I'd select.

However, I completely understand it and don't hate it. The sweet pineapple is a great compliment to the salty cheese. I particularly like how he is cooking the pineapple twice. That's definitely going to affect the flavor and feel of it, and I personally think would make it pair even better.

I would argue green olives are a worse pizza topping than pineapple. Green olives' taste is too strong. It overpowers everything else so it's all you can smell or taste. I love green olives, but not on my pizza.

I'm all for food experimentation. People shouldn't get their knickers in a twist just because someone threw an odd topping on a pizza.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Sardines are the worst. I dated a girl in high school who liked that. We got a half and half pizza, and it ruined my half.
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

I've avoided sardines my whole life.

Anyone with a brain knows you don't cook fish with other proteins. Why? Because the fish flavor will transfer to all the other proteins and ruin them.

So why would anyone put fish on a pizza? Makes no sense.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am So why would anyone put fish on a pizza? Makes no sense.
Well, I learned the hard way.

Didn't really eat fish growing up, had no idea.

Then years later someone at worked microwaved a fish. Holy fucking shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

I microwave popcorn and know that the act alone is passive aggressive against everyone else in the office.

Nuking fish at the office makes you a psychopath.
Cakedaddy

Europe

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am Anyone with a brain knows you don't cook fish with other proteins. Why? Because the fish flavor will transfer to all the other proteins and ruin them.

So why would anyone put fish on a pizza? Makes no sense.
And yet, you'll put onions on things. . . You can exchange fish with onions and all of your statements above read the same. Onions ruin and invade everything they are in the vicinity of.
Leisher
Site Admin

Europe

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:07 pm You can exchange fish with onions and all of your statements above read the same.
That's a personal thing and not correct. Can an onion stink? Of course, but it's not in the same ballpark as fish and popcorn.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:07 pm And yet, you'll put onions on things.
I use raw onion mostly, and mainly on sandwiches, burgers, etc.

Cooked onions I don't want near my sandwich or burger. I think they're overrated and add far less flavor. The only place an onion belongs cooked is in a stew, chili, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Europe

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:13 pm I use raw onion mostly, and mainly on sandwiches, burgers, etc.
ewwwwwww
Leisher wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:13 pm Cooked onions I don't want near my sandwich or burger. I think they're overrated and add far less flavor.
Disagree. Cooked onions are delicious on sandwiches, without overwhelming like raw ones.