Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

I will check it out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Car dealers are asking Biden to slow down dated EV laws.

They're sitting on lots eating up space because nobody wants them.

Also, the infrastructure simply doesn't exist yet. I'd be driving a Tesla this business trip if there was more than a single charging station within an hour's drive. And honestly, fuck driving 30-60 minutes to go stand somewhere while my car charges.

(There is one, but it's at a hotel I'm not staying at.)

Additionally, like Ethanol, where's the proof this is better for the environment? Because we KNOW ethanol is worse for the environment, so this all feels like lip service by people trying to kick the can down the road.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:39 pm Additionally, like Ethanol, where's the proof this is better for the environment? Because we KNOW ethanol is worse for the environment, so this all feels like lip service by people trying to kick the can down the road.
If I had a few solar panels on my roof I'd drive for free.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I used to think electric cars would hit parity of some kind around 2025, but it's feeling a lot more like 2030
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Electric Car Thread

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think electric cars are still in the GFL bulb phase. "They'll save the planet. Way better than old ones. Last forever." And they were crammed/forced down our throats by 'those that know better'. Reality, they suck, full of hazardous materials, didn't last long.

Current version of electric cars: They don't last long, they are full of hazardous materials. They are being crammed down our throats via 'green energy' legislation.

I'm hoping the LED of electric cars shows up soon.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Yeah peeps have hit mine 3 times in 5 years.

They're zoomy. I can imagine normal people can't handle the acceleration.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/maca ... ric-macan/ looks pretty good for a small SUV. > 350 miles; 0-60 in 3.1(for the "turbo"). I wonder if Porsche is lying about that 0 to 60 as well. Found out that they do that across the board. They call my car 4.4, but it's really between 3.8 and 4.0
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Drive electric to save the children!*

*American children. Pay no attention to the foreign children slaving in the mines getting the raw materials for your car's battery.

I think beyond infrastructure, they still need to do a lot to prove:
-Electric doesn't ultimately do more environmental damage
-It's not more expensive to own and maintain
-That battery will last for years and not start immediately dying like many cell phones
-The infrastructure is in place or being put into place to make it as convenient as owning a normal car now

A lot more Rs drive electric than you would have guessed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I think the things you want proven already have data. 2 and 3 are true. #1 is debated. #4 is false.

The infrastructure/convenient as a car is still a massive failure, especially for road trips. Slow as hell to charge, even if you have "good "infrastructure like Tesla.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I said at least 5 years ago that charging stations are bad ideas ... But charging spots at your favorite restaurant/retailer/highway truck stop are the way to go. Give peeps someplace to spend money for 30-60 minutes, where time will go faster, and offer the electricity at a discount.

I understand other cars have higher maintenance costs, but as I approach the end of my loan in my Nissan Leaf I regret buying the extended warranty for $2k when I never needed it. I've spent maybe $200 maintenance on that car in 6 years.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Extended warranties in general are bad deals. But if it covered the battery, may have been worth the uncertainty. Those are expensive to replace.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

That was the idea. But it turned out my model and year had the best battery they ever produced.

Peace of mind thing. I used to buy used cars when young, and always got screwed with hidden problems. I got this one used for the first time in decades, because I wanted a cheap commuting car, so got the extended warranty out of PTSD.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:45 am 2 and 3 are true.
3 may be true generally, but we've seen examples where it wasn't. Wasn't the car the guy blew up only 2-3 years old and needed a new battery?
TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:58 am But if it covered the battery, may have been worth the uncertainty. Those are expensive to replace.
This is a problem that needs fixing and what I was referring to with 2. Back to the guy who blew up his car, it was because a new battery was $20-25K. People can afford oil changes, gas, and random maintenance over years. Not too many people can afford to drop that much money on a new battery all at once.

If the warranty does cover it, then great!
GORDON wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:52 am But charging spots at your favorite restaurant/retailer/highway truck stop are the way to go. Give peeps someplace to spend money for 30-60 minutes, where time will go faster, and offer the electricity at a discount.

This is how it should be and would be part of how you revive malls. Charge your car while you shop, eat dinner, catch a show, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:44 pm 3 may be true generally, but we've seen examples where it wasn't. Wasn't the car the guy blew up only 2-3 years old and needed a new battery?
You have to look at all the data. ICE cars die early deaths, too.
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:44 pm This is how it should be and would be part of how you revive malls. Charge your car while you shop, eat dinner, catch a show, etc.
Yah, why not take 20 hours to get to Florida instead of 10?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Like a train.

Which makes one wonder why more Amtrak routes won't take your car with you on a flat car.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:48 pm Yah, why not take 20 hours to get to Florida instead of 10?
You have a fair point.

Although, I wasn't thinking about travel, just local stuff.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 pm Although, I wasn't thinking about travel, just local stuff.
For local stuff, I can charge at home. But nice to have options if I forget/have a lot of driving day/whatever.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:15 pm For local stuff, I can charge at home.
Well, of course.

However, if you're a mall putting in charging stations that are free of charge, IF you go into the mall, it increases traffic. Increased traffic would be appealing to shops and restaurants. That's more rent for the mall. That's increased profit for shops/restaurants. The mall becomes a community hot spot again. Community hot spot means there's loads of ass there. Loads of ass brings in more fellas. All that ass and fellas means even more revenue.

It's wins all around.

Who doesn't go on date night to the mall? Shopping, eating, entertainment, AND a free car charge. You know who doesn't go? Cheaters because they don't want to be seen. Now a date will know if they're "the other person". All they have to do is suggest a trip to the mall.

I'm curing all of society's problems while you're at home charging your car alone. Like a loser.