Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Word on the street is that DocuSign is being shopped. Options trader heard it before the street did.

No idea if the news is real or just a rumour. But, trades like that get investigated, all the data is captured.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Catt? Is this wrong? If yes, what numbers are wrong or being compared incorrectly? If no, then how are things "fine"?
Also, I was thinking about it, and can't these two things both be true at the same time:
-I think the economy can absolutely be considered to be doing well. (Although, really only benefitting corps and a small % of people.)
-The majority of Americans are still struggling to make ends meet and/or afford the "American Dream".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

51% of Americans make a median annual salary of $75,000.
This statement is 100% wrong, like it just doesn't even make sense.

1 - Median means middle. Like half make more, and half make less. So the 51% is non-sensical.

2 - The median US salary is $60,000. (per here: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business ... -by-state/) FT salaries only.

3 - Median Household income in the US is $75,000 (unlike #2, this includes all income, PT/FT, not just FT salaries). This appears to be the # he is using, but again, his words are just wrong.

4 - The 256k is debatable. I cannot find a source for it. I've found sources indicating about a $300k mortgage for that level of income. Obviously, is an estimate, due to a) other debt load, b) type of income, c) credit rating, etc. So if you put 20% down, that's a $375k house. At 3.5% down, it's a $310k house. So more than just the mortgage size matters.

5 - $430k is the median house price, so he's almost right ($430,300, not sure why he rounded up).

So the median household income cannot afford a median house. Which I guess is why we have apartments and stuff?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:35 pm So the median household income cannot afford a median house. Which I guess is why we have apartments and stuff?
Fair, but I would argue the median household should be able to afford a house.
TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:35 pm 5 - $430k is the median house price, so he's almost right ($430,300, not sure why he rounded up).
You mean rounded down?

Also, you say "he" a lot, which I assume is Unusual Whales. Not sure it's a he or she?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 pm You mean rounded down?
He rounded up to $431k from $430,300. (I rounded down to $430k)
Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 pm Also, you say "he" a lot, which I assume is Unusual Whales. Not sure it's a he or she?
Dunno, but he speaks like a he. :) Maybe it's plural, who knows, don't care.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:14 pm He rounded up to $431k from $430,300. (I rounded down to $430k)
Ah, I was going just by your numbers.
TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:14 pm but he speaks like a he.
Not sure he speaks like any gender. The style very much reminds me of bulletin stuff (Reuters, AP, etc.) I saw when working for the MSM.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:44 pm The style very much reminds me of bulletin stuff (Reuters, AP, etc.) I saw when working for the MSM.
I think that's their goal. I'm not sure they're American.
Cakedaddy

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 pm Fair, but I would argue the median household should be able to afford a house.
They can, just not the median house. How many median incomes already own their median home from before all of this started? I feel like the number of medians not being able to afford median is below median. Many medians can afford their medians because they got in before things became unmedian.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I would say a large percentage or most home buyers are "stuck" right now because they cannot afford to buy a new home.

Sorry I couldn't work median in there somewhere.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:57 pm I would say a large percentage or most home buyers are "stuck" right now because they cannot afford to buy a new home.

Sorry I couldn't work median in there somewhere.
Here you go: The median home buyer isn't buying a house in any given year.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I always planned on getting my kid in college and stable, and when I knew he was good to go I was going to sell the overly-big house and get out of the midwest. Go someplace where I'd be happy to grow old, and use up the last of my strength there having fun. Florida Keys, desert southwest. Moab, maybe.

Everywhere I want to go, cost of living is about 4x what I have here. I can't get enough from my house to even cover a 20% down payment anywhere I want to go. Cost of apartments is 3x my current mortgage.

Now I think I may die in the midwest and that's a little depressing.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

I can run you down to the Keys last minute style like Big Fish.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:10 pm Wow.

Fed says "no more raises, 3 cuts coming next year." 10 yr bond has plummeted to 4% (which is below it's long term average).

https://www.cnbc.com/bonds/ Bond yields cratering in the 1yr+ horizon.
3.85%... from a peak of 5.00%
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:42 pm 3.85%... from a peak of 5.00%
Well, the good news ended there. Although, ironically, undone by good economic news that was "too good" so rates are up to 4.10% as retail sales were well above expectations in December.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I still sez all of the "yay the economy is great and inflation is down and everything is awesome" numbers are lies and election year horse shit. Anything to keep trump from reelection. I truly believe they'll say anything, and if caught later just shrug.

Anyway, home Depot says we've got a fuckin on the horizon.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/former-h ... 26919.html
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am I still sez all of the "yay the economy is great and inflation is down and everything is awesome" numbers are lies and election year horse shit. Anything to keep trump from reelection. I truly believe they'll say anything, and if caught later just shrug.
If only all the data were publicly available and verifiable, and had multiple sources. Oh wait.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am Anyway, home Depot says we've got a fuckin on the horizon.
Home Depot definitely did NOT say that. 100% never said that. Their CEO didn't say it either. Their catastrophic failure of a former ceo from 2000 to 2007 who was forced to resign, though, did say that. Because he's a political talking head now, not a business leader.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

And I'm straight-up calling it all lies, here in the BAD ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS thread.

If there aren't any consequences for lying, then why ever broadcast bad news? It's pretty much a cliche truism that the rich and powerful typically don't see consequences for bad behavior.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:48 am And I'm straight-up calling it all lies, here in the BAD ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS thread.
ok, so you're just wrong.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Someone rename the thread to correct economic predictions