Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Postby Vince » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 am

TheCatt wrote:There's an argument that low interest rates also promote bad investment by companies as hurdle rates may be a factor of interest rates. (Cheap capital/debt/bonds, for instance, means that low return projects become profitable)

Thanks for the primer! This part caught my eye because I was hearing a guy on the radio last week talking about the "Skyscraper Curse" (I think it was). He was pointing out through the 20th century on that whenever a record breaking skyscraper was built that shortly after a massive collapse happened. It wasn't really the fault of the sky scraper, but rather the sky scraper was a symptom of the overall problem. The low interest rates and bad investments. And that around the time they finish the building, things are primed for the downward slide. Was kind of interesting.

Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:36 am

Lots of jobs created in January.

That's interesting as January is not really known for being a big jobs month, being post holidays and all.

Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Postby Leisher » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 am

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Postby TheCatt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

It's not me, it's someone else.

Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Postby Leisher » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am

Bill Gates shits on AOC's New Green Deal, specifically raising tax rates on the rich.

Also, reading that article I don't think I've ever been aware that there are functioning members of society who think "modern monetary theory" is a valid plan of action. They can all go fuck themselves with that nonsense.

Return to “General Stuff”