The MSM

For stuff that is general.
User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 am

I could have stuck this in the Republican Party thread or here, but I choose here because I felt this is less about his statement and more about how it's being reported.

Republican says diversity is a bunch of crap and un-American.

As you can guess he's getting destroyed in the MSM, but is he wrong?
"the Constitution was designed to incorporate that idea of the Declaration of Independence that everybody is treated equally under the law. Now, what diversity has become, it's been an excuse by Democrats, communists and socialists, basically, to say that we're not all created equal, that some people, if he -- if somebody is lesser qualified, they will get a job anyway, or they'll get into college anyway because of the tribe that they're with, what group, what box they fit into."


Any adult with an IQ above 50 can read that, understand his intent, and realize he's not wrong. He just made a stupid statement that was easy to use in a negative way.

But look at the message being sent: He's racist for calling everyone equal...

User avatar
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 42660
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

The MSM

Postby GORDON » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 am

But it isn't fair because whites have used the browns in the past, and the browns need help now.

It's the racism of low expectations.
Fuuuuuuck YOU.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 pm

It really is quite amazing that "all people are equal" is racist, but "they need help because they aren't white" isn't.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

Seth MacFarlane blasts FOX News and he's 100% right.

The quote that urged him to go off:
“If you’re looking to understand what’s actually happening in this country, always assume the opposite of whatever they’re telling you on the big news stations,” Tucker Carlson said.


I really hope that was simply taken out of context. If it wasn't, it's indefensibly disgusting.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 am

It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Vince
Posts: 7060
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

The MSM

Postby Vince » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 am


Journalists are horrible at their jobs now. They don't verify sources or reach out to subjects of stories. They are becoming aggregators of social media viewed through their own bias. I actually have a lot of respect for Ronan Farrow, He seems like one of the only journalists out there. 5 years ago I'd have said he only had his job because of who his parents are/were. Now he's embarrassing the rest of his field by outperforming them.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

Vince wrote:Source of the post They don't verify sources or reach out to subjects of stories. They are becoming aggregators of social media viewed through their own bias.

Agree.
This is why I pretty much stick to the WSJ for news. In-depth, less bias than most, and tends to present the news in a straight-forward manner.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Vince wrote:Source of the post Journalists are horrible at their jobs now. They don't verify sources or reach out to subjects of stories. They are becoming aggregators of social media viewed through their own bias.


It's a mad race to be first combined with the mentioned bias.

We're in an age where CNN anchors can cry on air when their preferred candidate loses or a FOX anchor can seriously say "believe the opposite of what other news outlets tell you" and neither are immediately fired.

It's a nightmare.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:38 pm


User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:45 pm


Were they just guessing based on analysis, or actual leaks? Unclear.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

There were actual leaks going on throughout. Picks being revealed before they're made is a hallmark of the NBA draft.

Hell, Danny Ainge accidentally revealed the Celtics pick.

User avatar
Vince
Posts: 7060
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

The MSM

Postby Vince » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Leisher wrote:It's a mad race to be first combined with the mentioned bias.


I used to place a lot more weight on the "race to be first" part of the equation, but then I started to notice how often the MSM releases stories without checking for confirmation or additional sources when the story is damaging to a liberal or Democrat as opposed to a conservative or Republican and I started to realize that the race to be first wasn't as driving a force as I'd hoped.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 pm


User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Internet comments are barely better than 4chan.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Vince
Posts: 7060
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

The MSM

Postby Vince » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:11 pm

TheCatt wrote:Source of the post Internet comments are barely better than 4chan.

Mostly I agree, but if they are pretty consistently supervised they aren't too bad. Mediaite is horrible. Hardly worth reading the comments. Some that enforce a certain level of civility are better.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 am

TheCatt wrote:Source of the post Internet comments are barely better than 4chan.


I totally agree, but it's a dangerous precedent we're setting where outlets can post something as fact without any sort of rebuttal.

As Vince says, moderators help, but let's be honest, they don't want to spend the money for moderators.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am

People can always link to the story on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, and call it out.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am

TheCatt wrote:Source of the post People can always link to the story on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, and call it out.


They can, but that's vastly different from calling it out at the site and would be seen by a LOT fewer people.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 29935
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

The MSM

Postby TheCatt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:56 am

Leisher wrote:Source of the post
TheCatt wrote:Source of the post People can always link to the story on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, and call it out.


They can, but that's vastly different from calling it out at the site and would be seen by a LOT fewer people.

I kinda see your point, but it's not like Twitter and FB have limited reach. I mean, at least dozens of people use each of them.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 36560
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

The MSM

Postby Leisher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

TheCatt wrote:Source of the post
Leisher wrote:Source of the post
TheCatt wrote:Source of the post People can always link to the story on Facebook, Twitter, whatever, and call it out.


They can, but that's vastly different from calling it out at the site and would be seen by a LOT fewer people.

I kinda see your point, but it's not like Twitter and FB have limited reach. I mean, at least dozens of people use each of them.


Look at my destruction of the Flickering Myth article calling Star Wars fans that boycott "not actual fans". Without comments it stands alone and people might accept it as gospel. Thankfully, it allowed comments and ALL of them were speaking out against the article.

Sure, I could have just linked it and posted my comments on FB, but the fact that I wouldn't reach even close to as many people is the point of my argument.

I just don't understand how in this age of "free speech" and freedom of information we think it's a good idea to limit both as much as possible. Squashing only the voice "authorized" to speak.

Your commitment to preventing transparency makes me think you were Obama's chief of staff...


Return to “General Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests