The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

At this point I think Trump wins reelection.

I really don't understand why the NFL didn't drop the hammer on this early on. Why allow players to alienate half their audience? You'll put a stop to celebratory end zone dances, but this is okay? No sticker to honor the fallen cops of Dallas, but this is okay? No 9/11 nod to the victims, but this is okay? Just don't understand it.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Well, first off, it's clearly not half of their audience. Ratings fell 8% last year. Meanwhile, actual in-game attendance hit a record, and is being matched so far this year.

And why? Because the NFL cannot afford to lose its players. A few people don't like the protests, a helluva lot of people don't want to watch the CFL.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Well, first off, it's clearly not half of their audience. Ratings fell 8% last year. Meanwhile, actual in-game attendance hit a record, and is being matched so far this year.

And why? Because the NFL cannot afford to lose its players. A few people don't like the protests, a helluva lot of people don't want to watch the CFL.
I'd wager it's more than half their audience. Just because so many Americans are having trouble finding their spine to actually sacrifice something they enjoy, don't make the mistake of assuming they approve. They start losing revenue and we'll see how much they love their players. They obviously didn't give a fuck about their Dallas players. You think any of these whiny, pampered pussies are going to walk away from a $15 million contract because they are told to suck it up and stand the fuck up for the anthem? Right.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

So, ultimately, your argument is that half their audience is alienated, but actually doesn't even care enough to be alienated? I don't think that's alienation.
Vince wrote: They obviously didn't give a fuck about their Dallas players.
Not sure what you mean. Was this a patch thing?
Vince wrote: You think any of these whiny, pampered pussies are going to walk away from a $15 million contract because they are told to suck it up and stand the fuck up for the anthem? Right
I doubt it. But I see no reason for the league to force them to do it, the owners + league have both repeatedly stated their OK with this, and big fans of the 1st amendment.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: So, ultimately, your argument is that half their audience is alienated, but actually doesn't even care enough to be alienated? I don't think that's alienation.
1. cause (someone) to feel isolated or estranged.
I know a number of people that feel alienated by Washington DC but still vote every election. I've been listening to people all day that are feeling alienated and realizing that the league does not share their values and wondering how much longer they will continue to watch.

You're still on your first marriage, so you might not yet understand how you can feel alienated and still be somewhat engaged with the entity that is making you feel so.
TheCatt wrote: Not sure what you mean. Was this a patch thing?
Yes, helmet stickers after the BLM sympathizer killed the cops in Dallas.
TheCatt wrote:I doubt it. But I see no reason for the league to force them to do it, the owners + league have both repeatedly stated their OK with this, and big fans of the 1st amendment.
They really aren't. See the above mentioned Dallas sticker issue and see the crack down on end zone celebratory displays after a touchdown to see how selective they are on their "free speech" tolerance.

Other instances of their "tolerance" for free speech.
In 2013, Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall was fined $5,250 for wearing green shoes in honor of Mental Health Awareness week, which was especially poignant because Marshall himself suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder, as FOX Sports noted.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams was fined $5,787 in 2015 for wearing "Find the Cure" eye black with the message "We will find a cure" printed along with a pink ribbon, according to Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network. His mother died of breast cancer in 2010.

Another Steelers player, William Gay, was fined $5,787 in 2015 for wearing purple cleats to bring attention to domestic violence. Gay’s action was also moving because his mother was killed in an act of domestic violence.

The Steelers’ Cameron Heyward was fined for wearing eye black to honor his father, Craig "Iron Head" Heyward, who died of bone cancer in 2006.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Every example you list has to do with uniform modification, which they've codified quite stringently.

Kneeling, speaking out, etc are treated quite differently. You see it one way, I see it another.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Every example you list has to do with uniform modification, which they've codified quite stringently.

Kneeling, speaking out, etc are treated quite differently. You see it one way, I see it another.
Except that pesky end zone celebratory dance ban. Also, is uniform modification free speech or not?

I don't disagree that they can do what they want with their league. Just don't pretend it's a blow for freedom of speech. That's horseshit.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

I see it all as a misdirected hissy fit, if it truly is about cops abusing black people. The flag and anthem aren't about cops.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I see it all as a misdirected hissy fit, if it truly is about cops abusing black people. The flag and anthem aren't about cops.
Also exactly right. Someone stated some time ago, "This isn't the police anthem". It's spoiled rich pampered brats trying to feel relevant.

Also, if current numbers continue to hold, NFL is standing to lose another 10% viewership this season to add onto their losses from last season.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Except that pesky end zone celebratory dance ban
You're late on this as well, since the NFL rescinded that ban several months ago.
Vince wrote: Just don't pretend it's a blow for freedom of speech.
We're just going to see this differently.
GORDON wrote: I see it all as a misdirected hissy fit,
I see it as people using the platform they have to get attention for something that they believe needs attention and action.
Vince wrote: Also, if current numbers continue to hold, NFL is standing to lose another 10% viewership this season to add onto their losses from last season.
A new Nielsen study measuring audiences in bars, restaurants, gyms and other out-of-home venues showed that NFL viewership nearly matched 2015’s numbers.
Also not true. Ratings are complex. Like race issues, and a billion other things people tend to try and oversimplify
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I see it all as a misdirected hissy fit,
I see it as people using the platform they have to get attention for something that they believe needs attention and action.
It can be both.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Hey I really hate how W controls the prices of gas so I am going to slow down traffic in all of Washington DC.

Misdirected hissy fit.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national/ar ... r-truckers
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Why does Phil Long hate black people America?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

I have a lot of real questions for black people regarding this protest, their claims of inequality, their constant bringing up of slavery, etc.

I just wish a person could ask them without being labeled a racist.

Must be tough to be so oppressed that anyone who even questions you is immediately labeled and shunned by society.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

NFL rules on anthem. Was glad to run across this because I was seeing it posted and then denied as being fake, so I wasn't sure what to believe.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: NFL rules on anthem. Was glad to run across this because I was seeing it posted and then denied as being fake, so I wasn't sure what to believe.
Yes, the three teams who were not on the field risked fines, but the NFL said "nah"

That being said, there's a lot of "should" and "may" there, not "must"
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: Except that pesky end zone celebratory dance ban
You're late on this as well, since the NFL rescinded that ban several months ago.
The relaxed rules aren't a free for all. Offensive demonstrations, celebrations that are prolonged and delay the game, and celebrations directed at an opponent, will still be penalized, the letter said, in order continue "sportsmanship, clean competition, and setting good examples for young athletes."

In short, three-pump twerking is still a no-go.
Relaxed, not rescinded.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: NFL rules on anthem. Was glad to run across this because I was seeing it posted and then denied as being fake, so I wasn't sure what to believe.
Yes, the three teams who were not on the field risked fines, but the NFL said "nah"

That being said, there's a lot of "should" and "may" there, not "must"
So it's okay to be lax with these rules, but not the uniform rules when wanting to honor the fallen officers in Dallas? They can do what they want. It's their club. People are going to stop watching. No one wants this shit in their entertainment. They go to football to get away from this shit. If I want political bullshit I log onto Twitter.

I think it's funny in a way. Trump says, "These people shouldn't kneel" and the left goes nuts and decides they must kneel. It's like watching three year olds. I hope next he tells them they shouldn't stab themselves in the eye with a salad fork.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Only a fascist would take away my right to stab myself in the eye with a salad fork. You are going to get punched, Nazi.