X (fka Twitter)

Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:00 pm Either talking gardening
You do talk a lot about ho(e)s...

Twitter was better with the previous owners IF you simply wanted to create an echo chamber.

Under Musk, it's tougher to create such a chamber as he is purposely trying to eliminate such a thing. However, if you followed nothing but gardening accounts, you'd still get almost all gardening stuff. I've noticed my feed is filling back up with football stuff and fewer talking heads for either party.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

Serious question here: Why the hell would the DOJ sue an American company to force them to hire non-American citizens? How is that serving the U.S. taxpayers?

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by GORDON »

Wait.... I thought reducing H1-Bs was a good thing?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:22 pm Why the hell would the DOJ sue an American company to force them to hire non-American citizens?
Because we have laws? Specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:30 pm Because we have laws? Specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952.
You should tell that to the DOJ.
GORDON
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by GORDON »

I'm not sure if I should blame the DOJ or not. Is the person in charge a D or R?
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:58 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:30 pm Because we have laws? Specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952.
But they already know and are enforcing it?
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:58 pm
Did you look at the picture? Specifically the bottom part.
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:38 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:58 pm You should tell that to the DOJ.
Ah, gotcha. I'm going to assume that the DoJ understand the restrictions of the law better than a twitter post.
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:44 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:38 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 pm But they already know and are enforcing it?
Ah, gotcha. I'm going to assume that the DoJ understand the restrictions of the law better than a twitter post.
Well, you say that, but there they are advertising that only American citizens need apply.

Plus, the last couple of administrations have proven that the DOJ is nothing more than a tool to force enforcement of that admin's politics.
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm Well, you say that, but there they are advertising that only American citizens need apply.
Still going to the trust the lawyers on this one, until they explicitly are proven wrong.
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:40 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm Well, you say that, but there they are advertising that only American citizens need apply.
Still going to the trust the lawyers on this one, until they explicitly are proven wrong.
Just to make sure, you know it's the DOJ advertising jobs and saying only American citizens may apply right?

I think they're right to do so considering it's the government, but it's weird for them to condemn others for doing the same. And maybe with all the disinformation being spread on social media by foreign entities, perhaps it makes sense to give X exemptions?
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:21 pm Just to make sure, you know it's the DOJ advertising jobs and saying only American citizens may apply right?
Correct. I assume it has to do with the position and details of which we are not aware. Or, maybe because it's a prison job.
Leisher wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:21 pm And maybe with all the disinformation being spread on social media by foreign entities, perhaps it makes sense to give X exemptions?
X isn't being sued. SpaceX is.
GORDON
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by GORDON »

I don't want dirty furners having access to the secrets of the only space program the USA has that seems to be effective.

They launch military satellites. I'm sure there are plenty of issues with classified shit there
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:32 am Correct. I assume it has to do with the position and details of which we are not aware. Or, maybe because it's a prison job.
I get it, but I don't love the "do as we say, not as we do" aspect.
TheCatt wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:32 am X isn't being sued. SpaceX is.
Gordon might have a point there. Although, I would have to think there are qualified applicants around the globe considering how many countries have space programs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

The weirdest thing since Elon took over is how much my twitter feed changes each week/month/Elon has a whim.

Like my twitter feed is pretty locked down. And so it took me about 5 to 10 minutes a day to read. Then Elon came around, and I started getting a bunch of right-wing shit in my feed (I don't follow anyone political, left or right). Then that stopped. Then I started getting AS SEEN ON TV quality ads every 3rd post. Then that stopped. Then I got flooded with what the people I do follow seem to follow and/or like, with a small dash of things that seemed unrelated. Then that stopped. Then, after my 5-10 minutes of "people I follow," I was literally inundated with cats and dogs being cute. Which, I mean, was awesome. Then that stopped, and right now my feed is back to the 5-10 minutes of things I directly follow.
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

I haven't seen the dramatic changes you're describing on my feed, but I have seen FAR more content from people I don't follow as opposed to those I do. I think that's a blue check thing. My feed is definitely far more left wing than right lately. You also just made me realize that this time last year, it was all OSU/Steelers stuff, but right now it's mostly funny/crazy video/meme content, OSU stuff, left wing posts and then a smattering of other stuff.

I don't think the changes are "on whims of Elon", but rather them making huge changes to their algorithm, adding priority to blue checks, and other massive changes to the platform.

And while I do appreciate Elon's goal of forcing people out of their echo chambers, I don't believe it should come at the expense of customers seeing the content they really want to see. For me, I want videos/pics, animals, some news, and one smoking hottie trying to sell something I'm not buying.
GORDON
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by GORDON »

Personally, I prefer the echo chamber. Can I pay extra for that? It makes me feel good when people agree with me all day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 am I don't think the changes are "on whims of Elon", but rather them making huge changes to their algorithm, adding priority to blue checks, and other massive changes to the platform.
I think the whims of Elon are what are making large changes to the algorithm.
Leisher
Site Admin

X (fka Twitter)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:00 am Personally, I prefer the echo chamber. Can I pay extra for that? It makes me feel good when people agree with me all day.
There's our million dollar idea. We start a Twitter alternative called "The Echo Chamber" where users only see what they want.
TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:09 am I think the whims of Elon are what are making large changes to the algorithm.
I don't think so, and especially not since he's been hands off X for sometime now. Although, even if he is behind it all, it's his product, so his prerogative.