Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Gun violence is now the leading cause of death of children in America.
Hmmm... Smells like bullshit to me. The undisputed and undefeated champion of killing kids has always been poverty, but that paints the government in a bad light, so that doesn't seem to be on the list anymore. Weird.
Gun deaths among U.S. children and teens rose 50% in two years
That's quite a jump.

Wonder how that jump happened? Let's look at the top response to the tweet Catt posted:
Gun violence is not the leading death of children. You're quoting the Kaiser Family Foundation Study which:

1.) Counts legal adult 18 and 19-year-olds as kids.

2.) Excludes 0-1 year-olds.

3.) Includes suicide.

It's actually drowning and car accidents that are leading.
Those seem like pretty important facts about the study?

We cannot have a serious conversation until both sides are willing to discuss the reality and not hyperbole.

Are guns too easy to obtain? YES.

Are anti-gun stats being inflated for political reason? YES.

Does the average citizen need access to guns? YES.

Why? Because the only people who gain from an unarmed populace is the government.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Ah. I was a US Marine deployed in a war zone at 19. I could have been a child gun violence stat.

Maybe next time.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:42 pm Counts legal adult 18 and 19-year-olds as kids.
Just like our debate! But, yes I would say <18 = kid. 18-20 = mostly adult. 21 = full adult.
Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:42 pm Excludes 0-1 year-olds.
I'm reasonably OK with this, since that will remove a lot of factors that cannot be controlled (but also removes some that can, obviously). Also, babies aren't kids.
Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:42 pm 3.) Includes suicide.
Feels like suicide should definitely be included.
GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:47 pm Ah. I was a US Marine deployed in a war zone at 19. I could have been a child gun violence stat.
We should stop putting kids in war zones! :D
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:02 pm But, yes I would say <18 = kid. 18-20 = mostly adult. 21 = full adult.
I don't count the "mostly adult" category. You're either a kid or an adult.
TheCatt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:02 pm I'm reasonably OK with this, since that will remove a lot of factors that cannot be controlled (but also removes some that can, obviously). Also, babies aren't kids.
I'm not ok with removing it. Why are we removing deaths that should be counted on one end, but adding deaths that shouldn't be counted on the other?
TheCatt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:02 pm Feels like suicide should definitely be included.
Suicides should 1000% not be counted. If guns didn't exist these people wouldn't kill themselves? Horseshit.

Also, just for fun let's talk about another statistic that might be important to this debate. 800K+ abortions in this country last year. Since there is no definitive proven moment of when life begins, it's 50/50 on whether or not that's 800K+ avoidable murders. (Reminder: I'm pro-choice.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:14 pm If guns didn't exist these people wouldn't kill themselves? Horseshit.
Maybe they'd fail more, and get the help they need.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:32 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:14 pm If guns didn't exist these people wouldn't kill themselves? Horseshit.
Maybe they'd fail more, and get the help they need.
And maybe if the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit he would have caught the rabbit.

My friend Jon would strongly disagree with you. Gun owner and made calls first, yet nobody could stop the carbon monoxide from taking his life.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:08 pm My friend Jon would strongly disagree with you. Gun owner and made calls first, yet nobody could stop the carbon monoxide from taking his life.
Sounds like he couldn't actually disagree with me?

(sorry, too soon?)
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Suicides aren't gun violence. They're suicides.

19 isn't a child.

Cats aren't dogs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:21 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:08 pm My friend Jon would strongly disagree with you. Gun owner and made calls first, yet nobody could stop the carbon monoxide from taking his life.
Sounds like he couldn't actually disagree with me?

(sorry, too soon?)
Within the last year, but not too soon. If you cannot see the humor in things, you're dead inside. The week after he did it, his golf partner texted the league on a rainy day, "Jon and I won't make it tonight."
GORDON wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:25 pm Suicides aren't gun violence. They're suicides.
Exactly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Americans are completely misinformed about guns.

Throughout history there are a number of examples where citizens voted away their rights and gave their government total power over them. It never ended well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Another accidental location, another shooting. Teenage girl thought she was going to her car, it was not her car. She went back to the car she'd arrived in, dude that had been in the car starts shooting.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Do these people not attend gun safety classes? Do they not understand the basic concept of only shooting when your life is in danger?
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:40 am Do these people not attend gun safety classes? Do they not understand the basic concept of only shooting when your life is in danger?
We have enough people. Set the example. Weed them out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

FYI, the shooter is black. So this hasn't been getting headline coverage that the Ralph Yarl shooting did. I wonder if there will be protest marches and if the MSM will be getting a statement from Justin Pearson like they did in the Yarl situation?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:04 am FYI, the shooter is black. So this hasn't been getting headline coverage that the Ralph Yarl shooting did. I wonder if there will be protest marches and if the MSM will be getting a statement from Justin Pearson like they did in the Yarl situation?
hit the biggest story on cnn.com. Was on Abe news, but not biggest, earlier
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

When I saw it, the story was buried under a Yarl story.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

MO man demands meat at gunpoint from supermarket
In an interview, Gay said he went to Price Cutter to buy steaks. He told the “good man” who was helping him that they needed to weigh the steaks. However, the meat department was closed. Gay said at that point, he showed his gun “Just to say I’m not stealing. I need you here to help me to get a couple of these steaks. I’m not going to hurt you.”

The officer asked Gay why he thought the people in the store called police and told them he was threatening them with his gun.

“I don’t know,” Gay said in the interview. “I have no idea.”
“Once he held the gun to my throat — pushed it into my throat — I decided to comply,” the employee told police.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Did it work?

Usually the meat is still running when you use a gun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

There are a shit ton of shootings in poor communities every day, particularly minority communities. Weird that you can't find and post those articles.