NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Coming to post the same story. Fucking Steelers. The fan base has been screaming for them to sign him since they dumped Harvin, but instead the Chiefs get him. A guy who could potentially be the best punter in the NFL, which is a key position for the Steelers and their terrible offense.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Article about "bold" moves each team should make:
Cleveland Browns
Bring in competition for QB Deshaun Watson

It's pretty simple: The Watson trade has not worked out. The Browns' offense has been much, much better with other quarterbacks over the past two seasons. In 2022, Brissett had a 62.0 QBR while Watson had 40.4 QBR. Then last season, Joe Flacco had 48.3 QBR while Watson was below him at 42.9 QBR.

The Browns need to bring in competition and a backup plan in case Watson starts off 2024 playing subpar football again. They can go one of two ways with this: Use a second- or third-round pick on a young quarterback and let that player compete with Watson in camp, or bring back one of the veteran quarterbacks they've already had success with.

Flacco has expressed a desire to continue his career despite his age (39), and Browns fans would be happy to see him back. Brissett's 2022 numbers stand out when we look at his career, but the Browns might as well sign him to a cheaper deal and see if they can make the magic happen again. Any of these options would at least protect the Browns and keep them from wasting another strong defense with bad play from Watson.
Pittsburgh Steelers
Trade for QB Justin Fields

It's likely the Bears will draft a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, and it's very likely they will trade Fields. Will he be an upgrade at quarterback for some teams? Maybe.

Fields did have a higher QBR than Kenny Pickett last season, 46.1 to 38.2, but that's primarily because of his rushing ability. As a passer, Fields just hasn't developed much in three years. His highlight plays are interspersed with too many run-of-the-mill failures, and he takes too many sacks. But the issue here is upside. Fields still has more upside than a lot of other young quarterbacks. If you could develop his passing, you would have a good NFL starter. And Fields' scrambling ability would be particularly important behind a Pittsburgh line that ranked just 17th in pass block win rate (57.6%) in 2023.

The problem with Fields is that you must decide immediately whether to extend him with a fifth-year option, and if he does develop, in two years you need to sign him to a big contract. But still, that upside is enticing. Pickett doesn't have the same panache.
Washington Commanders
Trade down from No. 2 pick

The Commanders need a quarterback. There are a couple of top quarterback prospects in this draft class. Therefore, the obvious move is for the Commanders to use the No. 2 pick on a quarterback. However, that's not the bold move. The bold move would be to trade down and accumulate more picks they can use to rebuild their whole roster.

Let's start with the easy trade down: one spot to No. 3 with the Patriots. We all want to believe that we can properly rank the best quarterback prospects, but we certainly learned from the 2023 season that the higher-rated quarterback going into the draft doesn't necessarily turn into the better quarterback in the NFL. So, if New England loves Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels, trade the Patriots the No. 2 pick, get a couple of lower-round picks and just use the No. 3 pick on whichever quarterback the Pats don't want.

Or, go bolder and trade down even further. There are several teams that need quarterbacks this year. Call up Denver, Atlanta or Pittsburgh. See what's the biggest package the Commanders can get for that No. 2 selection, with multiple picks both this year and next year to fill multiple holes. Washington can then use a lower pick that it gets back in trade and take a young quarterback who might not be the highest of the top prospects but could still compete with Sam Howell for the 2024 starting job.
Carolina Panthers
Sign the best available WR

Young quarterbacks need a top receiver to help them develop. The Bears knew this when they asked for DJ Moore in last year's trade with the Panthers. Now the Panthers need to find a receiver to serve as Bryce Young's top target. It's hard to determine just how good or bad Young is without giving him more talent to throw the ball to.

We don't quite know who the best available wide receivers will be because of franchise tags, but someone like Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr. would be a huge addition to the Panthers' offense, and they should have the cap space to make that contract work.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Bold, or more QB purgatory for the Steelers?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Bold, and honestly, their only move. They're a contender, except at QB.

Either go grab Fields or do something really drastic and trade everything to get an established starter. Who is a star in the final year of a contract that wants to move? I cannot think of one.

Every team gets a little bit more to spend.

Thanks Swifties!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Hard to believe the cap was $34M when I was in college. Adjusted for inflation that would be around $71 million today.

Also hard to believe that Mark Sanchez was once the highest paid player in the NFL

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Birnemy says wasn't fired, chose not to stay

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... commanders
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:13 pm The Saints are in salary cap hell.

That's a good read.
Oh man. Their division is weak, so they can't get past winning the division right now anyway, so why not blow it up today?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:25 pm so why not blow it up today?
Completely agree.

Trade everyone worth a pick, cut dead weight, and then start building for the future.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:56 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:25 pm so why not blow it up today?
Completely agree.

Trade everyone worth a pick, cut dead weight, and then start building for the future.
I guess the HC + GM are incented to "win today," but that's not a good strategy for them. Drew's gone.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

No teams are protecting their RBs.

We'll see some names switch teams this year.

Bears claim they're keeping Justin and trading the #1 pick.

I think this is 50/50 on being true. It's in their best interest to have people doubt their intentions so it drives the price up either way. I think they might be waiting for someone else to make their decision for them with a big offer for Fields or that pick.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

No teams are protecting their RBs.

We'll see some names switch teams this year.

Bears claim they're keeping Justin and trading the #1 pick.

I think this is 50/50 on being true. It's in their best interest to have people doubt their intentions so it drives the price up either way. I think they might be waiting for someone else to make their decision for them with a big offer for Fields or that pick.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

ESPN predicts starting QBs for 2024:
Pittsburgh Steelers
Predicted 2024 starter: Justin Fields

The Steelers' next franchise quarterback is not currently on the roster. Kenny Pickett hasn't shown enough growth in two seasons, and even though Mason Rudolph played well in a few starts down the stretch, he hasn't been consistent enough in his career to be a safe option going forward. That they managed 10 wins last season despite their weak QB group makes them a candidate to deal for Fields, who could be a decent fit with new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.
Washington Commanders
Predicted 2024 starter: Drake Maye

The Commanders lost their final eight games to move into the No. 2 slot in a quarterback-heavy draft, absolving them of the decision of whether to give Sam Howell another shot. Now they'll get a top quarterback prospect -- perhaps UNC's Maye -- without having to trade up and can keep Howell as a solid backup. Washington's stock is on the rise.
Cleveland Browns
Predicted 2024 starter: Deshaun Watson

Because he's in Year 3 of his fully guaranteed, $230 million contract, Watson will almost certainly be the Browns' quarterback. But if I were Cleveland, am I really running it back with Watson and potentially wasting this roster again? The problem is the Browns' alternatives are severely limited given Watson's cap number and their lack of a first-round pick, which they dealt to Houston to obtain Watson. I could at least imagine the Browns as a long shot Justin Fields destination because he can be acquired without a first-round pick and wouldn't take up significant salary-cap space. Who knows, perhaps coach Kevin Stefanski could unlock his upside?
Carolina Panthers
Predicted 2024 starter: Bryce Young

Young's draft price keeps him locked in. A Year 1 disaster (33.4 QBR and 11 touchdown passes on 527 attempts) isn't fatal for a quarterback's career. (Jared Goff had a horrendous rookie season for the Rams in 2016 before turning into a Pro Bowl-caliber player.) But it does cause Young's clock to start ticking. If he doesn't show significant improvement in 2024, the Panthers will be looking for a new quarterback.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:57 pm No teams are protecting their RBs.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

That's great.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

NFL might go to the XFL kickoff rules.

There's a video there if you've never seen it. I had not. I don't think I hate it, but how do you do onside kicks? Also, doesn't it eliminate all surprise onside kicks?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 pm Guess who finished dead last?
The Commanders feels like an automatic. Don't even need to click.
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:50 pm NFL might go to the XFL kickoff rules.

There's a video there if you've never seen it. I had not. I don't think I hate it, but how do you do onside kicks? Also, doesn't it eliminate all surprise onside kicks?
I kinda like it. But have no idea about the onside kick aspect.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Ha! What's Rivers up to? 13?

Fields to the Falcons is supposedly a "done deal".