NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

When Reggie Bush was caught taking payments and was ruled ineligible, USC had to vacate a title.

It'll be interesting to see if they make Alabama vacate two titles considering it's the same situation.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Alabama will be forced to vacate their trip to the White House. It never happened.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

There was a point where we had no food, no money, so I called my coach and I said, 'Coach, we don't have no food. We don't have no money. We're hungry. Either you give us some food, or I'm gonna go do something stupid.' He came down and he brought like 50 tacos for like four or five of us. Which is an NCAA violation. (Laughs) But then, the next day I walk up to the facility and I see my coach pull up in a brand new Lexus. Beautiful."

I really cannot argue with him.

NCAA has expanded stipends recently and such, as I understand it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Jim Delany weighs in...

To sum up:
If you don't enjoy being given a free education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars while playing for a program with traditions dating back 100 years, then don't go to college. Go to IMG and train there. We're not the minor leagues.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Bob Stoopes says outloud what we're all thinking.

I will never take away the SEC's championship game wins, but they are getting there on a platform of lies and hype.

Bullshit and arbitrary rankings, oversignings, constant scandals swept under the rug, an obvious media bias, etc. Fuck the SEC.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Miami's punishment finally came down.

They don't list the self imposed sanctions Miami already put on itself, but it's still hard to see rulings like this one, and not think about the sanctions, or lack of sanctions everywhere else.

The NCAA basically says this investigation has been going on since 2009.

Weird how they're so willing to investigate non-SEC schools for so long, while wrapping up SEC investigations within days, while never finding fault.

Fuck you NCAA. If The Purge was real, you idiots wouldn't last an hour.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So... I know it's early, but OSU's offense vs MSU's defense looks like a fun matchup.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:So... I know it's early, but OSU's offense vs MSU's defense looks like a fun matchup.

OSU will hang 45 on them. MSU had the "#1" defense a few years back but didn't do anything against a decent offense. It is all built around playing in the pathetic Big10.

OSU is going to stroll right through everyone and maybe get left out of the title game. If I had to bet I would say that 2 out of alabama, oregon, and fsu will lose but not 100% and osu strength of schedule won't be enough to pass any of them if they are undefeated.

Also its not too early. osu vs msu big 10 championship has to be the lock of all locks.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Clearly you have forgotten OSU's games against mighty Buffalo, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa. Those weren't strolls.

OSU does not belong in the same conversation as Alabama, Oregon, or FSU.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So... I know it's early, but OSU's offense vs MSU's defense looks like a fun matchup.

It should be.

If I had to bet I would say that 2 out of alabama, oregon, and fsu will lose but not 100% and osu strength of schedule won't be enough to pass any of them if they are undefeated.

I disagree. I think we're going to have more than four undefeated teams at the end of the year heading into the bowl season.

Clearly you have forgotten OSU's games against mighty Buffalo, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa. Those weren't strolls.

OSU does not belong in the same conversation as Alabama, Oregon, or FSU.

This is such horseshit.

What is strength of schedule based on? Rankings. What are rankings based on? Biased human opinions.

Look, I'm not defending OSU's schedule. It's weak because the Big Ten is weak right now. It happens. People seem to forget the joke that was the SEC in the (70s?) 80s and 90s when the ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12 ruled the land. Out of conference schedules are set WAY in advance, and unless you have a psychic helping you, you can't know that Cal, who was a top ten team when you scheduled them, would drop out of the rankings when you finally played.

We did have an SEC team on our schedule this year, but they dropped the game. It was Vanderbilt who beat a ranked SEC team this year. I wonder why they'd drop OSU off their schedule...hmmm.

And the week we played ranked Northwestern, and took criticism for our schedule, #1 Alabama was playing Division II Georgia State.

Who, outside of the SEC, has Alabama played that was worth a shit? Michigan? Their #8 ranking at the time was a joke even to Michigan fans. Everyone knew that was about selling that week 1 matchup with Alabama.

Maybe we need to stop putting so much weight behind a system that ranked Michigan #5 before they lost 3 of their first 5 games including one to a Division II school, and ranked Auburn #2 before they also lost to a division II school.

Maybe we should stop ripping the only conference to publicly set a policy that their teams can't schedule DII schools anymore?

Maybe we shouldn't think too much of a ranking system that has the #7 ranked team in the country as 21 point underdogs to the #2 ranked team?

How the fuck is Texas A&M even ranked with the worst defense in the country? They have how many losses?

How is Baylor undefeated at #5 and nobody is talking about them? Nobody mentions that they're in the title picture by playing a terrible schedule. People only seem to want to rip OSU and the Big Ten. I'm sure there's no agenda there. Nah.

Was Standford really a top ten team? Really?

Do we really think undefeated NIU is only the 17th best team in the country?

How the fuck has Florida been ranked at all this year? They've been in the top 10, and they're Michigan State with a worse defense.

Georgia is way overrated. Ditto for Clemson and Taj Boyd.

Again, I'd NEVER tell you OSU's schedule is strong right now, but look around at who everyone else is playing. Look at who is ranked and where they end up at the end of the year. You're being told Team X is better than Team Y without any real justification. That's what the rankings are all about. Opinion. Are you seriously suggesting that opinion can't be swayed by constant hype from media outlets? (Did you happen to notice who the president is and what his policies are and how the media responds to them?)

As an OSU fan, I can sit here and honestly tell you that we'd get destroyed by Florida State (best team right now), we'd have a shoot out with Oregon (a team we recently destroyed in a bowl game), and we'd beat Alabama (we match up very well against them and people forget they couldn't stop Texas A&M's one man show).

Point being, stop basing your opinions on arbitrary rankings and what biased pundits tell you. Let the kids determine who is the best on the field. I mean if you want to be a slave to the rankings, perhaps you should look at OSU's offensive and defensive rankings.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:OSU does not belong in the same conversation as Alabama, Oregon, or FSU.

I'm not saying osu is any good. I don't think they are even a Top 5 team, 6-9 would be my guess. Not sold on oregon but bama and fsu will kill osu if they play in a title game. It will be one of those over by half time.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1383506257
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm no slave to ratings, I'm basing this on watching OSU play this year, and watching other teams play. FSU is looking awesome right now. Alabama is looking great, only 1 close game against another very good team, away from home. They are consistently dominating their opponents, unlike OSU. Although they still have two good games left, Auburn and LSU.

I'm not sure who you are arguing against for most of your post, but it's not me.

OSU is a very good team, but I think they lose much more often than they would win against FSU or Alabama. (I can't speak to Oregon since I never watch the Pac10/12/whatever they are now).

Would I include OSU in a 4 team playoff? Absolutely. But if I only get to pick two, right now it's Bama and FSU.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm not saying osu is any good. I don't think they are even a Top 5 team,

Who is your top 5?

Not sold on oregon but bama and fsu will kill osu if they play in a title game. It will be one of those over by half time.

Is it their top 5 defense, their #1 in many offensive categories rated offense, or their two time national champship winning coach that convinces you of that?

Because I'd bet, you're just parroting talking points of folks like Mark May (who hates OSU because of the 72-0 beatdown they gave him when he played for Pitt.)

And listen, I'm not saying we're the best in the nation. In fact, I'd still call it a "rebuilding" considering we start so many freshmen and sophomores, and this is only Meyer's second year.

But I don't give a fuck who you are, 20+ game win streaks are not to be taken lightly. Giving OSU no credit for what they've done, and the players they have on the field reeks of ignorance or bias.

Alabama is looking great, only 1 close game against another very good team, away from home.

No. They beat a mediocre Texas A&M team, and barely hung on to do so. Texas A&M has, literally, a bottom 5 defense. It's tremendously awful. On offense, they are a one player wonder. Without Manziel, Texas A&M wins 3 games this year. Texas A&M is not a top 25 team. They're getting votes because of Manziel and the SEC.

And let's be honest, the little prick should be ineligible.

They are consistently dominating their opponents, unlike OSU. Although they still have two good games left, Auburn and LSU.

This is what pisses me off about college football. Who exactly have they played? OSU has been taking shit over their schedule, but Alabama's FAR more guilty of scheduling cream puffs.

Alabama played Virgina Tech to start their season. Not a bad team, but not exactly the cream of the ACC. I don't fault them for that though. I'm sure when the meeting was agreed upon, VT was better.

Beyond VT, here's their non-conference schedule:
Colorado State Rams
Georgia State Panthers
Chatanooga Mocs

Wow!! What a bunch of high quality opponents.

Oh, but wait, they play in the mighty SEC, so that makes up for it!! What the fuck kind of logic is that? OSU can only control their non-conference games, yet get bashed for them, while Alabama gets away with those cream puffs? We played a single DII team, and that was because they were the only ones available after Vandy (a mighty SEC team) chickened out and the last second.

Is the Big Ten down? Fuck yes they are, but is the SEC filled with good team after good team or is a lot of that bullshit hype? Do teams like Alabama really deserve credit for their schedule or do the voters get credit for it?

I mean at 7-2 LSU is somehow a top ten team, and they struggled with Furman for a half. Who struggles with a DII and move up in the polls? SEC teams, particularly ones about to play on national TV.

Look at Auburn. The laughing stock of the SEC a year ago, yet they've somehow ridden a soft schedule to #8. Just another team being falsely inflated for Alabama to beat.

If Alabama loses to ANYONE in the SEC, we'll hear about how tough the SEC is and no team can be taken lightly, even though we know that's bullshit.

If Ohio State loses to ranked MSU, we'll hear about how they were overrated all along.

And for the record, IMHO, Florida State is the best team in the nation right now.

I just find the SEC love fest to be tiresome, and I really don't understand why fans keep buying into it year after year. I'm not ripping their good teams, but the whole division, top to bottom, is not filled with NFL quality teams. Not to mention, no conference has had more smoke when it comes to cheating.

Speaking of that, based on the really in depth investigations the NCAA does on NCAA teams, it should be interesting to see what happens at Alabama now that the NCAA ruled Tennessee's player ineligible. He was caught in the same scandal as former Alabama O lineman D.J. Fluker. Fluker was there for two of Bama's titles...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If Ohio State loses to ranked MSU, we'll hear about how they were overrated all along.

Well, that's a fault of having 120 teams, and only playing ~12 games a year. If MSU beats OSU, then it could just be a fluke. I don't think for a moment that MSU is the better team. OSU has the 2nd best coach in football, and a great team. They are a top 5 team

I agree on SEC being at least somewhat overvalued. LSU is #13, but that still seems high given their resume. Too much inertia in the rankings.

I don't know if FSU is the best team... I'd have to see them play Alabama, or OSU, or Oregon. And that's that problem of not having better games/smaller pool of teams.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It really irritated me this weekend that the #7 team was a 21 point dog to the #2 team. That just screams that the rankings are bullshit.

Just so nobody thinks I'm just being a homer (and I am to a point), earlier this year I thought OSU was a #6-#10 team. However, over the past several weeks this very young team has started clicking more on offense and defense.

I was stunned to see that we score more points than anyone else in the country in the 1st quarter. That stat is more interesting when you consider that Meyer has been taking his foot off the gas in the second half of games while teams like Baylor (#5) just pour it on.

Realistically, I don't have a ton of confidence that OSU could beat anyone just yet. By bowl game season, they might be ready for a much stronger test, and next year, watch out. However, I do think they belong in any conversation.

At the end of the day, they're the best team from one of the major conferences, down year or not.

And the only thing that keeps me from buying into the hype against them, or anyone really, is 2002. 14 point dogs to Miami, and they won. People forget how OSU dominated that game. They completely set the tone. Haters focus on a defensive holding call that was incorrectly called pass interference. They don't mention the blown call (they ruled a receiver out, and all replays showed he was in) at the end of regulation that would have allowed OSU to convert a 3rd down, keeping the ball, killing the clock, and eliminating almost any chance that Miami even gets to overtime.

Speaking of that conference, I still get the Big Ten's move of adding Maryland and Rutgers (East coast market), but I think they would have been better served grabbing a contender to fill the void left by Michigan's struggles. They should have made a much harder push for Texas.

Does anyone else think Nick Saban isn't at least slightly interested in all that money Texas wants to throw at him? What more does he have to prove at Alabama? Meanwhile, he could go to a down conference, and build a national program back up, while also bringing that conference back up. A new challenge. Nobody thinks he isn't looking at what Meyer is doing and thinking, "Might be fun to do that."

Anyway, the SEC has easily been the best conference over the past decade, but aside from the championship games, they haven't exactly set the world on fire in the other bowl games.

The thing that really seems to be a red flag on them this year is their defense. Remember when SEC games were low scoring affairs? Now everything is a shoot out. It's something to watch.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Some questions:

How did Stanford climb back up the polls so quickly after losing to unranked Utah?

How is Clemson in the top 10? Their best win was against a team that's no longer ranked. They were destroyed by FSU. (I think that was in Clemson.)

How is Miami still in the top 15? They were massacred by FSU. Hell, they were 21 point dogs, and failed to cover.

Better question out of that game: Is a win over #7 that impressive when you were at home and favored by 21?

Edited By Leisher on 1383675520
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

6 undefeated teams left.

How does that Oregon loss surprise anyone? They do this every single year. As soon as they face a decent defense, they get shut down.

Meanwhile, here's an awesome college basketball tradition that most people don't know exists.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Winston's DNA matches rape case.

Throw in the witness, and you have a guy who will be charged. When he is, that's it, he's ineligible.

This is a fascinating situation.

As a voter, what's going through your mind? Do you really want to see Florida State with a backup QB against Alabama? Are you rooting for Florida State to lose? Do you start voting them down the ladder now to help the process along, and give time for OSU or Baylor to jump them in the polls?

In different news, the NCAA is suing EA and CLC over the Ed O'Bannon case.