PGA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:28 am Antitrust has generally been very kind to sports leagues, doubt it'll be an issue.
The speculation is that the antitrust part will be the excuse to prevent a foreign entity from taking so much control of an American sports league. We will see.

Greg Norman, LIV, and other LIV golfers have gone silent since the announcement.

Initially they thought they "won". Now that details are emerging it looks likely LIV is dead after this year and those players' path back to the PGA doesn't look easy. Add on them being cut out of the aforementioned investment deal and at least they have their 30 pieces of silver to comfort them?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

PGA

Post by TheCatt »

I'm ok crying with $100 million dollars.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:23 am I'm ok crying with $100 million dollars.
Many of these guys aren't merely driven by money, which is why they are able to get to this level while millions of others fail.

So while you and I would be fine with the cash, many of them are not happy with the cash knowing their careers may be over and they cannot do what they love or continue working towards immortality through rewriting golf history.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

PGA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:10 pm Many of these guys aren't merely driven by money, which is why they are able to get to this level while millions of others fail.
It's golf. It's dumb to care about :) Other people's failings are not my problem.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Here comes the U.S. Government.
"PGA Tour's agreement with PIF regarding LIV Golf raises concerns about the Saudi government's role in influencing this effort and the risks posed by a foreign government entity assuming control over a cherished American institution," Blumenthal wrote. "PIF has announced that it intends to use investments in sports to further the Saudi government's strategic objectives."
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Senators want AG to review the deal.

If the Saudis are simply investing, even with a seat on the board, the merger should be fine. You can't block foreign investment across the board.

If our government wanted to block something nefarious, perhaps they should be blocking all things Chinese?
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Big shift in power in the PGA.

The players now have the voting power to destroy the PGA-LIV merger.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

PGA

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe golf can be interesting to watch?
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Would and I'd golf with her too.

You should check out [tweet=https://twitter.com/PaigeSpiranac]Paige Spiranac.[/tweet]
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

This bugs me.

The rule for a scramble is that the first ball in the cup is the score. So it should be a 5. However, nobody enforces that rule except for the most honest of players, and superstitious players. (It's considered bad luck to tap it in before everyone has attempted the previous shot.) In fact, since most scrambles are a 4 man team most times a ball within a foot or two is just picked up because there's no way four guys miss that putt. Against the rules, but again, only true dicks enforce that rule.

Most scrambles are for charity and fun. They're nothing more than getting out to swing the sticks while boozing and chatting with buddies. A little bit of rule bending is expected, but blatant cheating will still get you a bad rep and DQed.

That being said, IF you're playing for real stakes, the rules apply and only cheaters ignore them.

IF this was best ball, then that guy would get a 5, but if the other guy is putting for 4 and made it, then the team gets the 4.

Also, they call this match play, but also scrambles. Those are two completely different things.

Portnoy, who generally seems like a dick, is not standing up for what is "right" because he's actually wrong and clearly doesn't know the rules. He also tries slinging his weight around, which is even more of a dick move.

Red shirt is also a dick, although correct by the rules.

I'm just annoyed at all the people so confidently wrong in the comments. The people riding Portnoy's johnson. The people continuing to say "WRONG!" to others who are, literally, posting the PGA rule proving it was a 5. (Again, if it was a scramble.)

BUT one thing that doesn't get addressed is he gave that guy the putt. The guy should have just picked the ball up. (I was actually taught that many years ago. If someone concedes a putt to you, do NOT putt it. Just accept it. It's courtesy, but also so that shit like this doesn't happen.) I do not know the rule, but if the putt is conceded I do not think any shots after for that player count. If I'm right that would make everything else moot.

The lessons here? Not all things done because they "feel right" are right. Rules are important. Just because a majority believe something, doesn't mean they're correct.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

LIV golfers crying because OWGR said their league doesn't qualify for points.

This means that everyone that took their 30 pieces of silver to play in LIV are ineligible to earn points towards world rankings. So no Ryder Cup, no invitations to majors, and this has to negatively affect their appeal to sponsors.

They can play the best golf in the world, but nobody will know. No record books will track it. Their ratings prove nobody is watching it. They took a massive payoff to go play in anonymity.
TheCatt
Site Admin

PGA

Post by TheCatt »

Dude wins PGA Tour event; But is amateur and cannot get the $$?

This feels like a dumb rule that exists for some reason I don't bother finding out.
After stunning the world of golf by becoming the first amateur to win a PGA Tour event since 1991, 20-year-old Nick Dunlap has decided to take some well-deserved rest.

The American sophomore defied the odds by winning The American Express tournament on Sunday, his achievement making headlines across the world as he was the youngest amateur to win a Tour event since 1910.
However, despite making history by beating a host of pro-golfers, Dunlap was not able to take home the $1,512,000 prize from Sunday, due to his amateur status.

The first-place prize went instead to runner-up Christiaan Bezuidenhout, with the three players who tied for third place paid as if they finished in a three-way tie for second place.
Leisher
Site Admin

PGA

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, I saw that, but the rule isn't specific to golf. Well, the way the PGA handles the rule might be...

We all know that amateurs athletes lose their amateur status the second they get paid. The PGA handles it differently, and frankly, more honestly by allowing amateurs to compete, but knowing up front they cannot win money.

Of course, this kid winning this tournament and two others (that only some dude named Tiger Woods has done previously) means he's probably heading back to school with an NIL deal waiting, and the minute he becomes a pro he'll have sponsors throwing bags of money at him.

Point being, he's going to be fine.

Still, in this age of NIL and pros being allowed to compete in the Olympics, perhaps this rule needs to be revisited and thrown out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

PGA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:41 pm Point being, he's going to be fine.
UNLESS HE GETS HIS ARMS CHOPPED OFF