Deer Season - Modern Rifle

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Heading to the Western KY "compound" for the last weekend of rifle season. Wish us luck.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I hope the deer have learned to get organized and make crude weaponry to make things more interesting for you. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:I hope the deer have learned to get organized and make crude weaponry to make things more interesting for you. :D
Quick, give them a copy of Rust!
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

We got to my dad's Thursday around noon. We went out and set up our trail cameras and around 2:00 PM headed out for an afternoon hunt.

Wife asks me if I brought the scent bomb and I tell her we were just going to do a casual hunt that afternoon. I wasn't even wearing camo. Before climbing up into the stand I squirt a little doe urine around the base of it for cover scent.

Got up in the stand and was setting up. Had clipped our daypacks to a loop over the side of the stand and I was just starting to pull up the rifle into the stand (rifle on ground tied off to one end of a rope to be pulled up after you're secure in the stand for safety). Wife says, "There's a buck."

We'd been in the stand less than 2 minutes and at this point my rifle's halfway up. The buck was a ways off at this point. Wife keeps an eye on his location (at our 10 o'clock). I get the rifle up and am seated and look up and the buck has rounded to about our 1 o'clock. At that point he catches wind of the doe urine and turns and starts moving in our direction. I'm trying to quietly chamber a cartridge in the rife and making some noise. Wife is trying to "shhhh" me. The whole time I'm thinking this isn't going to end well for our afternoon hunt. But the buck had one thing on his mind and it wasn't hunters.

He's about 30 yards in front of me. I make a loud wheeze noise in an attempt to get him to stop briefly. He slows but doesn't stop, so I go ahead and take the shot.

Decent rack. Bruiser body. Not fit for anything but ground meat and some summer sausage. But should be a good amount for the freezer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So your hunting trip lasted 5 minutes?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

We stayed and got a doe (for better tasting meat cuts) on Saturday morning.

My dad has a saying about when you go hunting and don't get anything... "That's why they call it hunting instead of killing."

Thursday after he came on the Rhino to pick up the kill, "I think today it was just killing instead of hunting."

It was stupid insane. Lesa and I both just started laughing after he went down. It was crazy.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ha, you probably looked like Mickey and Mallory.

Did you start coating each other in blood and entrails?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

We rolled around in them.

Actually, she did well this year. Last year she cried when I shot the small buck we got. This year there were no tears and she helped me drag them both into the clearings where we could get to them in the Rhino.

She thinks she might be ready to shoot one herself next year.