Warcraft

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

From here. Although it's hard to imagine topping this in terms of entertainment value.

Edited By Malcolm on 1359745988
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Funny. Just 2 nights ago I threw away my Dungeons & Dragons movie DVD.

And I never do that.

It is just that bad.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The one with Jeremy Irons?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

YUP.

The dude just looks so pissed in the special features of the disk.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Penny Arcade's take.
The dude just looks so pissed in the special features of the disk.

I can't believe he agreed to do anything beyond the scenes he was paid for. I'm still fucking amazed they got him. Hmm, interview with Jeremy from 2001.
Humo : Do you ever act in movies purely for the money ?

Irons : I’ve done that a couple of times, yes. After all, it’s what I do for a living.

Humo : We understand that you can’t admit having done Dungeons and Dragons for the money, but what other reasons could you give?

Irons : I’d done Die Hard With A Vengeance with producer Joel Silver and he persuaded me to read the script. Once in a while you have to risk a bit. Plus, I like working with young directors. 28-year old Courtney Solomon had been shopping his script for 10 years. That much perserverance intrigues me. If someone is willing to fight that hard for his cause, he can’t be all bad. On paper, the project reminded me of Star Wars. Like Alec Guinness in George Lucas’s film, I had to give the project some gravitas.

Humo : When you were offered Dungeons and Dragons, you were in the process of renovating a castle in Ireland.

Irons : I’m still continuing to. I stopped acting for 2 years in order to complete the project.

Looks like D&D was a decade long clusterfuck just waiting to unfold.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Way to strike while the iron's hot.

Do people even play WoW anymore?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Blizzard and release dates...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The movie is happening, and so far all they've shown is this very boring teaser.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/megGtqjKFK4?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/megGtqjKFK4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Merge
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm

Re: Warcraft

Post by Malcolm »

US numbers: strikeout. Chinese numbers: fucking amazing.
“Warcraft” grossed an estimated $24.4 million in ticket sales in the U.S., coming in just shy of analyst projections of $25 million and taking the second place spot. The film has a $160 million price tag attached to it, proving that film adaptations of massively popular video games (the multiplayer strategy game “World of Warcraft” is produced by Irvine-headquartered publisher Blizzard Entertainment) are still a tough sell in the U.S.
Prior to this weekend, “Warcraft” already had $75 million in ticket sales internationally less than two weeks into its rollout. This week, the picture opened in more international territories, the most prominent of which being China. The five-day opening total in the country was $156 million, breaking the country’s record for the biggest weekend ever for an international film.
Why even bother advertising this shit on US TVs? Run in-game ads. Why bother with a real release? Stream it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

One of my new favorite podcasts, Flicking Myth, discussed this movie recently. They called it "Bore of the Rings" and both guys came up with that name on their own. However, they didn't hate it (or love it), and reported how the original run time is somewhere close to 3 hours! The movie in the theaters suffered massive cuts, and that's why so much of it seems paced oddly and scenes seem to be missing. It's because scenes are missing.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Because I go into a Warcraft movie looking for deep plots...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The American vs. Chinese numbers make me wonder if America as a whole can even enjoy simple things any more, the way we get our panties in a bunch over every little thing these days.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think it has more to do with Warcraft being yesterday's news here, while still being a massive game in China.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:I think it has more to do with Warcraft being yesterday's news here, while still being a massive game in China.
Don't forget South Korea.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It wasn't horrible. In fact, I'll sign up for a sequel. And make no mistake, the Empire ending was because they planned a sequel from the get go.

It wasn't really exciting as a film, and you'll know all the plot points going in because you've seen a movie before. However, it entertained me, and that's the goal.

I will admit that one major plot point shocked me. A death I did not expect at all.

The most jarring thing though was the king and queen are, literally, Jesse Custer and Tulip. Both are pretty good in their roles here. Dominic Cooper actually really shines.