Mechwarrior Online - F2P

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, I think we're at that point or close enough where we need to start considering this stuff.

I don't want to hit a situation where we feel forced to play CW every time we get on, but if we do want to play CW, I'd like to start playing come competitive games and we need premades for that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My schedule has freed back up, so I'll be around tonight and this weekend.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Weapons modules are on sale at the moment. Maybe more, I didn't look closely.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My Cat-K2 has the zoom module, the U-AC5 cooldown module, and the U-AC5 Range module. He's tricked out.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's kind of what I'm earning money towards now. Gearing each mech out to take full advantage of their build and quirks.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Pretty easy weekend challenge.

24 assists gets you a day of premium time.
24 kills gets you a mech bay.
Doing both gets you a free hanging item.

Clearly the assist one should be completed within an hour, and the premium time will be nice to have while you're working on the 24 kills.

Interestingly, this only applies to Conquest, Assault, and Skirmish. CW does not count.

On a different note, I was listening to the NGNG podcast and they were discussing the differences between IS and clan mechs. Here's what it breaks down to:
-Clan mechs are "cookie cutter". Meaning there's little variety in builds, and everything comes down to "laser vomit". One of the panel said they were actually boring to play since they all play the same, while the IS mechs each have their own personality, quirks, weapon levels, etc. so they were more fun to play. Nobody disagreed.
-Clan ACs need a buff, but said buff would make Dire Wolves monsters (and only Dire Wolves), so they'd need a negative quirk to offset the buff.
-It's apparently an accepted estimate that clan mechs are 20% more effective than IS mechs. That's why they're tweaking things here and there to bring them into balance. (So yes, they're OP...duh.)
-When fighting Stormcrows, shoot off their arms. Sotrmcrows have all their weapons in their arms.

Onto CW...
-All the "pros" argued there's a lot of work to do still.
-While CW is fun, the argument was made that the current objectives don't encourage actual combat (I totally agree).
-"Organized premades that are communicating will win every time" and "dropping against random pub teams is barely better than dropping into an empty map against turrets". Can't say I disagree with either sentiment. CW can be and has been fun at times, but any time we go against a 12 man premade, it has sucked. I personally believe that if they dropped the objectives and made a CW mode that was more like a public match of Skirmish it'd be more fun and would take away some of the advantage of 12 man premades.
-Apparently there's a trick that many know about that will tell you what map you're going to drop on in CW. This is being used by people to pick the best drop desk possible for said map.
-One guy said the map Borrea (the snow one) would be much improved by simply adding a tunnel in the middle of the defenders' area. Currently, there's no reason for attackers to go up the middle, which is why the sides get rushed. Having a tunnel with cover from attackers on the hills would provide incentive to rush the middle increasing options on the map.
-The group seems split that the maps are either too large or too small.

Not sure if we mentioned this elsewhere, but they are definitely looking at CW objectives that involve smaller teams. They're looking at this both as another game option, and an in game option where you dropped with a 12 man group, but maybe your lance is tasked with something specific.

Point being, we need to find another player to round out our lance and/or we should discuss joining up with a larger group so we can drop in 12 man premades.

Oh, one other topic that I found interesting was roles. Peeps were arguing that right now roles are undefined, which is why so few people play lights. The idea was floated that more needs to be done to reward folks who do things like pilot a Raven-3L which can't do shit offensively, but can support a team's missile boats.

Keeping on that topic, one thing being discussed in the skill tree being out of date, and the idea was floated of using skill points on skills directly related to that specific mech. Thus, your light or medium would be capable of things your heavies or assaults couldn't do and vice versa.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

So a list of some of the second pass of quirks are out, these aren't all of them and supposedly will be out in the next patch on Tuesday.

Quirks phase 2

Good article on the winners and losers of phase 2 quirks

Lots of people are really butt hurt over the Thunderbolt -9S changes. I can agree that the -9S was just everywhere (especially in CW) but the problem is now the IS loses out on a mech that could compete with the Clans, so this makes the Clans even more OP!

a quote from that article
With the loss of the 9S I'm eager to see what IS will field to counter the range and tank advantage of the hordes of Clan Stormcrows, Timber Wolves and Hellbringers. There's pretty much nothing other than a few Assaults but the tonnage jump from 65 to 80+ tons will hurt the drop decks a lot. In my opinion the nerf is too harsh.

But we'll see, I'm sure some other mechs will come out of the woodwork and become the next flavor of the month. Personally I'm really happy to see the Orion get some love, maybe I can finally fully commit to a chassis in the heavy class!

I haven't played hardly at all the last week because I just wanted a little break, but i'll be back on tonight.

Edited By Stranger on 1423851647
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That was the other thing brought up in that podcast. When how OP clan mechs were was brought up, the pros (even those that play clan mechs) mocked the typical clan player response of "Yeah, but the 9S!!!'

Because 1 fucking mech variant being OP equals ALL of your mechs being OP...

My opinion of clan players is now even lower.

As for those quirks, I'll have to examine the Atlas and Cataphract ones this weekend.

Edited By Leisher on 1423856741
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Clan mechs should all have a forced skin that says, "I AM A HUGE FAGGOT" when they play their clan mechs, in case someone is new and doesn't know how lame the Stormcrows are.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was playing Mordor. Had my Cat with the LRMs. I jumped into the middle lava pit to get a better angle on bad guys. A King Crab jumped in after me. He starts overheating over and over shutting down. I blocked him from getting up on the rocky shelf and just waited for him to burn.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Amusing how I finally get into this game and everybody except Leisher disappears. Like in every other game.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:So now that Gordon is playing, are we ready to quit it?
Called it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher and I played Saturday night, where were u? Don't take it personally that I take some time off playing games. I don't have all the free time to play like u do and sometimes I just want a break from it.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:Amusing how I finally get into this game and everybody except Leisher disappears. Like in every other game.
Ronnie was just out most of the week. As he stated, he was back online Saturday. He doesn't play most every night like you and I though.

Cake has disappeared completely since he and I got into that argument about the dumb CTF-3D challenge. So blame me for that. I assume he's playing ArcheAge with his wife or Borderlands 2 with family. (That's the games he was playing last I knew.)

Trooper disappeared at the same time, but has been here surfing posts and has posted in the Music forum.

Stranger and I are locked into MW:O for the foreseeable future. I'll have some games on the side (like Far Cry 4 and Homeworld), but when it comes to multi this is my game. As I've suggested, we could always start hitting the CW scene harder by joining with a larger casual group.

I'll be on later tonight (10ish). Going to a dinner. Rest of the week should be normal (9-10)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Stranger wrote:Leisher and I played Saturday night, where were u? Don't take it personally that I take some time off playing games. I don't have all the free time to play like u do and sometimes I just want a break from it.
I named you well, Bucket of Shit.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

MW:O is the ONLY game I play right now. When we were playing LOL it was the only game I was playing too. Back when I was playing Archeage I would log in to play LOL only because I knew you still played it and I still enjoyed playing it.

But the days of gaming 5-6 nights a week are no longer a thing for me. When we played LOL I was on as much as possible because we had a regular group and I enjoyed the shit out of it. I don't see MW:O ever being the same but I will continue to play it. You forget that I was the first person to play the game, been playing it for two years now, I'm not going anywhere. Hell, I'd still play LOL if we had a group that wanted to, but that's not going to happen. So, i'll be on when I feel like it and when its convenient to me, its just the way it is.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So's your mom.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:MW: 90210
Bump.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote:
Bump.
You can say that about every game we've ever played.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Bump.
You can say that about every game we've ever played.
Yeah, but not all of them end in "-O."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."