2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Less talented half of Key + Peele will endorse Mayor Pete
Is he the less talented half? All Peele did was make one exceptional movie. I've seen Key in all sorts of dramas and comedies. Key has range as an actor. Peele had one story, and his follow up was exceptionally terrible.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Yeah put some respect on the name of Obama's anger translator.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

CNN opinion piece says the poor could turn the election.
There is untapped potential among this voting bloc of 23 million poor and low-income voters. In the report, Hartley shows that small increases in their participation in elections could change the political terrain of this country. Yet, this voting bloc remains largely ignored by the major political parties. They and other poor Americans rarely hear a politician call their name and speak to their conditions.
What? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I hear about the poor all the time. I think they're the most discussed voting bloc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I hear about the poor all the time. I think they're the most discussed voting bloc.
I feel like we hear more about the working class/lower middle/middle classes than the truly poor.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: What? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I hear about the poor all the time. I think they're the most discussed voting bloc.
I feel like we hear more about the working class/lower middle/middle classes than the truly poor.
That's probably fair.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid's private school doesn't take "voucher" students. They used to, but they quickly discovered that some schools failed because of the students. Rowdy discipline cases didn't mesh well with the culture the school tried to nourish.

And before someone says it, they were declared the most racially diverse school in Ohio, last year. ;)
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: And before someone says it, they were declared the most racially diverse school in Ohio, last year.
X - Doubt

At any rate, the school decided that only educating a subset of people was better than educating all the people. Or, that racial diversity can be an acceptable metric on which to be judged, rather than actual diversity.

Relative to Toledo: The school has 1/4 of the Blacks; and 10x the Asians. Probably skewed by suburbs or such, since I don't know the coverage of the stats I found.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ouch, slipped to #3 in Ohio last year.

https://www.niche.com/k12/maumee-valley ... /rankings/

69th best boarding school in the country. Nice.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Ouch, slipped to #3 in Ohio last year.

https://www.niche.com/k12/maumee-valley ... /rankings/

69th best boarding school in the country. Nice.
Hah! Most diverse private school. That's like poorest billionaire.

My high school was only ranked #236 best private K-12 school. Sadly behind Toledo. Eww.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Lotta diversity in the public schools of east cleveland.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The new world order dictates that Gordon's son's education is meaningless because the school's diversity numbers weren't acceptable!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Fuck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Opinion piece that shows the dangers of immersing yourself on only one side of a debate.

I didn't hear Rush's comments, so I have no idea how offensive they were. However, I notice that religion isn't mentioned once in this person's column. That shows the writer's own ignorance on display, as well as, their own smugness in their being "right" on the issue the way they see it.

I would tell the writer to actually talk to people with opposing viewpoints, and this is key, LISTEN to them. You don't have to agree, but at least you'll understand their position rather than assigning them one, which in this case, is simply hatred and bigotry. Ironic considering the whole article is based on his/her own hatred and bigotry.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Damn. Operatives collecting dosiers on everyone in politics, waiting for someone to buy them when they run for high office.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Zimmerman suing Warren and Buttigieg.

Honestly, their tweets might as well say, "See how much I care black people? Vote for me!"

I don't know about Zimmerman's case, but the tweets do show how dishonest we are as a society about the real issues:
“How many 25th birthdays have been stolen from us by white supremacy, gun violence, prejudice, and fear?#BlackLivesMatter.”
“We need to end gun violence and racism. And we need to build a world where all of our children—especially young Black boys—can grow up safe and free.”
Here's the thing, the #1 killer of young black males in the U.S. is young black males. They must all be racist as hell...

And the gun violence thing is horseshit too. It's the culture. The guns are just a symptom. Blaming guns is like blaming your nose for a cold.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I guess Bloomberg really got his ass kicked last night. Although he did take a great shot at Sanders' wealth that sounded an awful lot like something another billionaire would say.

I also saw lots of people ripping Sanders for crediting a hospital for his great care after his heart attack. Thing is that hospital is private.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thing is that hospital is private.
Until he takes it over!
Troy

Post by Troy »

Warren tried to use Bloomberg’s record to get back into the race. She ripped him over and over - all pretty fair points. I still think she loses to Sanders by double digits.

There seems to be a lot of Sanders support in California, as you would probably expect. He legitimately seems to be on a roll with endorsements and polling. The youth and diversity of the crowd at his speech this week in my new hometown was impressive.

Do I honestly think a revolutionary economic candidate can beat Trump in a booming economy? I do not.

But then I was wrong last time around too so I can’t predict well. Maybe Sanders motivates enough unique political factions that things get interesting.