NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:09 pm Pretty sure it was just a joke.
I wrote and re-wrote my statement a few times because each time it came off sounding like I took the tweet seriously. I did not. One of the flaws of the written language.

And yes, if it were offered, he should take it in a heartbeat.

Peacock's bet paid off.

Now how do you get those new subscribers to stick around?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:29 am Peacock's bet paid off.

Now how do you get those new subscribers to stick around?
I subscribed because AmEx said I could do it for free, and then I'll cancel.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Not the thread for this discussion, but it genuinely has some good content: Ted, Monk, Psych, Scrubs, etc. However, so do other services.

I think live sports (really just the NFL) are going to be the deciding factor when the streaming wars come to a conclusion. It won't be one and done games, but rather "you can only watch games here".

We could see this play out soon with WWE, always a trendsetter in media (not joking). The trades say their media rights are up soon and networks are bidding to steal them from FOX and USA, including streamers like Amazon and Disney.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:42 am Not the thread for this discussion, but it genuinely has some good content: Ted, Monk, Psych, Scrubs, etc. However, so do other services.
I pay for Netflix, YTTV, Disney+ (though, canceling that with football season over since it was bundled with ESPN+), Google One, Amazon Prime, and probably something else I'm forgetting about (and stealing Gordon's HBOMax).

I'm out.
Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:42 am I think live sports (really just the NFL) are going to be the deciding factor when the streaming wars come to a conclusion. It won't be one and done games, but rather "you can only watch games here".
Live sports are a big pull. Especially the NFL. $$ keeps going up and up.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Shovel faster!

A coworker asked me an interesting question today:
"Given the rumors about Tomlin possibly walking away from Pittsburgh at the end of the season, would Dallas trade for him?"

I think Belichick is a lock for Dallas, with Harbaugh being an outside possibility, but this isn't an insane question. Jerry Jones wants to make a splash and hiring Tomlin would do that in a big way. Jones would be getting a proven commodity in Tomlin and Tomlin would get a team that would assuredly help his "no losing seasons" bullshit. Jones would also gain a bit in the public's perception of him by hiring a black HC.

The reason it won't happen is because Jones sees Tomlin's post season failures.

However, I wonder if Jones could assist Tomlin in hiring the right people to get him over the hump, like he had with Cowher's assistants?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:05 pm The reason it won't happen is because Jones sees Tomlin's post season failures.
Right? Why get Black Mike McCarthy?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I just remembered Mike Vrabel and Pete Carroll are out there too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:35 pm I just remembered Mike Vrabel and Pete Carroll are out there too.
What if Jerry Jones hired them all? Pete, Mike, Grumpy NE dude...ALL OF THEM
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Ha! BB and Vrabel get along. Pete and BB could bond at early bird dinners. Mike would be the outlier.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

No way would Jones hire this clown.

He eeks out a non-losing regular season, then goes into the playoffs and gets blown out because his team is unprepared.

It'd be an annual tradition if he didn't miss the playoffs more than he makes it.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Send this to your Dallas friends.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Well, as a Commanders fan.... :(

But that was awesome.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Tomlin walks out on a question about his future.

The most interesting bit comes at the end of the article.
"Mike T's a great coach," Pittsburgh running back Najee Harris said. "But we can't put too much on Mike T. Sometimes, you just got to look at the players. Sometimes, you can't even look at the coaches. You just got to look at the players, and we didn't really execute."

While the team wholeheartedly lobbied for Tomlin, Harris also hinted at some discourse behind the scenes. Harris emphasized the coaches weren't the problem, but Harris said he wants to see changes to the team's structure and discipline.

"Obviously, this is my third year," Harris said. "I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if we want to elevate and get where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change. I feel like Coach T always tells me, 'Just play running back' -- and that's some little inside thing that we have too. But if we want to elevate and get where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff."

Harris elaborated when asked what needed to change.

"It's just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We got to be more disciplined. We got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but just coming from a place that has structure and just seeing we probably could get help in these areas. It might make a change. I think that that's something we could help. I'm not saying nothing about coaches or anything like that. I'm just saying more of just in-house rules.

"I'm just a player, but the guys in that building know what I'm talking about."
That's a Saban coached player. I think without actually saying it, he's saying what I have been saying forever. Tomlin is a great motivator. Tomlin gets guys to be hyped and play with intensity. What Tomlin doesn't do is instill discipline. He doesn't get players playing with focus. That's why his teams are unprepared, play sloppy, make mistakes, etc. It's why they lose back to back home games to 2 win teams. It why the WRs have gotten away with acting like divas for several years now.

Tomlin won a super bowl with Cowher's assistant coaches and with a veteran team already trained a certain way. Then those coaches began leaving along with most of those players. Tomlin started having less and less success. He hired assistants that nobody else hires, which could be a sign he's bad at judging talent or a sign he fears hiring someone that could threaten him. He has strongly influenced Steelers drafts (Maryland players over OSU players, Kenny Pickett, etc.) and typically his picks suck.

After 17 years he has to be burnt out. He sees Carroll, Belichick, and Saban moving on. He saw how Sean Peyton turned a year off into a massive contract. On top of that, the Steelers' minority owners do not support him. The local Pittsburgh media has turned on him. Fans are growing more and more tired of the lack of playoff success. Winning seasons are nice, but they cause stagnation. You either make the playoffs as a pretender with massive weaknesses or you miss the playoffs. Either way, your draft pick sucks. Not awesome for a franchise that doesn't spend heavily on free agents. I really wonder if there's even pressure coming from Rooney. He's given Tomlin the highest paid D in the league and one Tomlin picked. He gave Tomlin his QB in a first round when draft experts say he would have been there in the second. Tomlin's assistants have been an absolute mess except for the temp hire of Miami's former HC whose name I'm forgetting and the Special Teams coach who is the only Cowher holdover.

Meh, just my thoughts after watching the games today and seeing that article and his walkout.

If Tomlin goes, I wish him the best. If he stays I will still root for the team as always. However, I think it's time for both to go their own way.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Eagles collapse. Both South winners win despite worse records than the team they're playing. Cowboys flop.

Odds gotta be pretty good for Ravens (-9), 49ers(-10), Lions (-6) this weekend.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Well, there's my new favorite stat.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Kelce retires.

That's going to be the clickbait headline many places use today to grab Swities' attention. It's Jason who is telling people he's done.

The Falcons have interviewed Belichick.

I'm hearing Harbaugh to the Chargers has heated up significantly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 am It's Jason who is telling people he's done.
Yep. I was like "Really?" you clickbaity bastard.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

If you can avoid the toxicity, the bullshit, and, quite frankly - most people on twitter... it's sometimes wonderful.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

It really is.

Heard another interesting one today: If Tomlin leaves, Belichick would have interest in Pittsburgh.