MLB

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

At this point, hacking just means "getting access to something you shouldn't"

That's hilarious. Ah, poor Cards.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:At this point, hacking just means "getting access to something you shouldn't"

That's hilarious. Ah, poor Cards.
Weird. Cards are one of the best teams in baseball right now. The Astros suck goat balls last I checked.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

All-star voting scandal. Short version: MLB made voting online for the all-star game the only way for players to get in. Even after tossing out 65M votes, there are still 8 KC Royals players in the starting lineup.
Look at all those Royals up there, eight of them in the American League starting lineup, including second baseman Omar Infante, who is hitting .228 and is the worst offensive player in baseball.
MLB officials insist they haven’t found any sort of large-scale hack job on the vote — heh — and say the results simply stem from the Royals’ ardent followers.

Edited By Malcolm on 1434734534
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MLB still does nothing about bullshit All-Star game voting.

In other news, Cleveland TOPS the MLB, but only in the non-baseball realm of grammar.
"Other fan bases have clearly benefited from not staying up late on school nights in October," wrote Geoff Foster of The Wall Street Journal. "The five teams with the best grammar and spelling (Indians, Padres, White Sox, Mariners, Cubs) root for teams that have collectively won four titles in the past 100 years."

Hah.

Edited By Malcolm on 1435087002
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Wade Boggs - Hall of Fame drinker!

Edited By Stranger on 1435343831
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Charlie Hustle is a bit more fucked.
But because the penalty for betting on baseball — permanent ineligibility — has been clearly stated since 1920, it was hard to imagine new commissioner Rob Manfred lifting Rose’s ban anyway when he meets with him in the next few weeks.

I wish Judge Landis had a juicer he nailed to the wall back in the day, so we could all quote that fucking rule like it was indelible gospel.

Edited By Malcolm on 1435506932
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

New commish looks even stupider than his predecessors on the Rose issue. I watched that countdown. Pete was left until the last spot. I was thinking, "It's Pete or Eric Davis," after watching Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, and Barry Larkin get called out.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

80 game bitchslap.

In other news, check out the Nat'l League Central Div:
NL Central W L PCT GB

Cardinals 74 41 0.643 -

Pirates 67 46 0.593 6

Cubs 66 48 0.579 7.5

The Cubs would be in first place if they were in any other div in baseball except the AL Central. Goddamn near 20 games above .500 and they can't catch a fucking break.

Edited By Malcolm on 1439610243
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I love that people actually caught cheating get lesser punishments than a guy who simply bet on games he didn't influence.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:I love that people actually caught cheating get lesser punishments than a guy who simply bet on games he didn't influence.
Rose did bet on games when he was playing
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:I love that people actually caught cheating get lesser punishments than a guy who simply bet on games he didn't influence.
Rose did bet on games when he was playing
A) He never bet against his own team or threw a game to win a bet.
B) If he bet on other teams and paid those guys to throw the game, then that's different. Again, I've not heard anything in that vein.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Curt Schilling is in trouble for comparing Muslims to Nazis.

Listen, I understand why folks would be passed about this, but isn't there a point buried in there?

The German people get bashed because "they sat quietly while the Nazis did their thing". Can't the same be said about Muslims today sitting quietly as Jihad John cuts off heads and ISIS destroys history?

If every Muslim government, including Iran, came out condemning ISIS and promising troops, equipment, and money to crush them, wouldn't that be a hell of a statement?

Why is it socially acceptable to bash all Christians, but not to criticize Muslims for sitting on their hands as "5-10% of them murder innocents"?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The German people get bashed because "they sat quietly while the Nazis did their thing". Can't the same be said about Muslims today sitting quietly as Jihad John cuts off heads and ISIS destroys history?

Eh, to be fair, one is born German. One is not born a Muslim. On the flip side, this...
Nazi-era Germans, on the other hand, overwhelmingly supported and fought for the Nazi regime.

.. is bullshit. Even if one takes out "overwhelmingly," it's a lie.

If every Muslim government, including Iran, came out condemning ISIS and promising troops, equipment, and money to crush them, wouldn't that be a hell of a statement?

They all fucking hate each other. The Nazis only picked fights with whites (remember the UK and US declared war on them and they reciprocated) when they were from an unfashionable race. It's hard to recant or argue one's race, at least harder compared to your religion. Additionally, ISIS can recruit new, ideal members by brainwashing them. The Nazis had to steal children and encourage a big-ass birth rate, even going so far as to say the wives of SS officers were communal.

Schilling is saying that the religion of Islam is akin to Nazi Germany, and that the world's 1.6 billion Muslims are responsible for the actions of a tiny minority of extremists in the same way that Nazi-era Germans were complicit in Nazi crimes.

No, he's not laying responsibility at the feet of those folk. He's pointing out how a minority can hijack a movement and fuck everything up for everyone else in the majority.

Edited By Malcolm on 1440618717
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Manfred won't reinstate Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Just so you're keeping score at home:
-You cannot accept money to throw a World Series and then post awesome numbers during said series showing you were doing anything but throwing it.
-You cannot gamble on baseball games even if you're betting on your team to win.
-You can absolutely use performance enhancing drugs to shatter records that couldn't be touched without said drugs.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Manfred won't reinstate Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Just so you're keeping score at home:
-You cannot accept money to throw a World Series and then post awesome numbers during said series showing you were doing anything but throwing it.
-You cannot gamble on baseball games even if you're betting on your team to win.
-You can absolutely use performance enhancing drugs to shatter records that couldn't be touched without said drugs.
Just read about this today. Fucking ri-fucking-diculous. Not to mention the fact that Landis was a dick of a commish, even by the standards of WWI America.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LA Dodgers and their nearly $300M in player salaries. What does money buy?
1. Los Angeles Dodgers $272,789,040
2. New York Yankees $219,282,196
3. Boston Red Sox $187,407,202
4. Detroit Tigers $173,813,750
5. San Francisco Giants $172,672,111
6. Washington Nationals $164,920,505
7. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $150,933,083
8. Texas Rangers $142,140,873
9. Philadelphia Phillies $135,827,500
10. Toronto Blue Jays $122,506,600
11. St. Louis Cardinals $120,869,458
12. Seattle Mariners $119,798,060
13. Chicago Cubs $119,006,885
14. Cincinnati Reds $117,197,072
15. Chicago White Sox $115,238,678
16. Kansas City Royals $113,618,650
17. Baltimore Orioles $110,146,097
18. Minnesota Twins $108,945,000
19. Milwaukee Brewers $105,002,536
20. Colorado Rockies $102,006,130
21. New York Mets $101,409,244
22. San Diego Padres $100,675,896
23. Atlanta Braves $97,578,565
24. Arizona Diamondbacks $91,518,833
25. Pittsburgh Pirates $88,278,500
26. Cleveland Indians $86,091,175
27. Oakland A's $86,086,667
28. Tampa Bay Rays $76,061,707
29. Houston Astros $70,910,100
30. Miami Marlins $68,479,000

The Dodgers are doing about as well as the Pittsburgh Pirates, in terms of W-L record.

On the flip side, the Dodgers are paying 3x more with the benefit of playing in a crappier division (NL West as opposed to NL Central -- the toughest div in baseball). Savvy. Goddamn, MLB needs a salary cap.

Edited By Malcolm on 1441301236
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

30 years ago today, Pete Rose beat Ty Cobb's record.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have discovered a new gambling pattern.

Risk $6 to win 5-9 nightly that the Braves will lose by more than 1 1/2 runs. It's like printing money.

:D
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nat'l league, central div has the 3 best teams in baseball. Sucks to be the cubs.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fuck. Yogi Berra died.