ArcheAge - Formerly: "So I've been playing..."

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I tried ArcheAge out this weekend during the beta.

Things it has:
Open World PVP - 3 continents, two safe continents for each faction, one with open pvp and resources heavy

Crafting - Boats, Hang Gliders?, Houses, Farms, Livestock, Plants + Trees, Weapons/Armor - can only be made by the player

Semi-open class system. Mix and match from a list of skills. Economy stuff is more UO style.

You can't kill someone and take their stuff(like UO) - But you can kill them.... and you then can also take their stuff. Someone uprooted my 4 tree saplings because I didn't build a farm safety zone first. Dicks. Trees are gold, wood was hard to get.

Some kind of piracy thing - Traders make money sending trade packages between continents. On boats that they have to pilot. Pirates can attack/sink/steal the boat and cargo (didn't get anywhere near this - I built a row boat and crashed it into a beach)

So, interesting so far. I only got to play one day, but it shows some potential.

Edited By Troy on 1407186361
Troy

Post by Troy »

Beta 3 is this Thursday - Sunday. Going to try to get a house placed this go around.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Your review has made me far more interested than their ad in the Steam store. I see that Stranger is also interested in this game as it's on his wishlist.

Still, $50-$150 to jump into the Beta for a game is a steep price. In comparison, $15 got me into Rust...

Why $50-$150? Because depending on the package you buy, you're rewarded with permanent stat boosts and other perks.

In addition, it appears that paying going forward equals winning. From their website:
Will ArcheAge be free-to-play?
Yes! You’ll be able to play ArcheAge without purchasing the game or paying a subscription. We will also offer optional Patron subscriptions and non-recurring passes that will grant a number of great benefits including the ability to own land in-game, a discount at the in-game store, boosts, and more.

The Patron program seems like a massive perk. I do like that it can be paid for in game, but note there are also in game taxes to be paid on your land. I get the sense that the whole "This is becoming too much like a job" argument will come into play.

I'd need a lot more info before paying to play at this point.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

From what I understand, you can do F2P - and the game would play like semi-WoW. You could even plant stuff in public farms and get involved with production and get a boat(s).

But if you want to own land/non-public farm plots you have to have the Patron thing. Seemed fair to me, otherwise you could make 1,000 F2P accounts and steal all the good spots.

I am 100% agreed that it's something that should be tried before putting any money down.

I'll keep my eye out for the Beta 3 key give-aways. There are ton of them going on today/tomorrow. I'll post any I find to this thread and then people could try it out if they wanted.

Edited By Troy on 1407854985
Troy

Post by Troy »

Quick summary of the good stuff people really want to hear:

Piracy/Naval combat - When you get 100 of a resource, Wood, Iron, Stone, whatever. You can box it up into a "pack". You are encumbered by the pack of goods, and it makes you move slowly. If you are killed while holding it, the pack drops and can be picked up by anyone(?).

You need these 100 resource "packs" to build most anything. If you are doing it in ArcheAge trammel, it just means lugging your stuff slowly down a road and constructing your house. If you are doing it in ArcheAge Felucca... I don't know, I never got there, but I bet without some protection you'll get wrecked and your pack stolen.

Further, Unique resource(not stone/iron/wood) "packs" can be traded between the two trammel continents to vendors for money used to buy houses/boats. You HAVE to do this by boat. As soon as you get X distance from land - open world pvp rules. You can store resource packs in boats. Pirates are and will be a major thing. Boats vary from offshore fishing boats (WTF?) to full on frigates which need 4-5 people crewing them. Much potential.

Edited By Troy on 1407856002
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

definetly interested in this game but its hard to tell really what this game is all about. I would play if i got a beta key.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Well, if you get some keys, let me know. I'm willing to give it a go.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

http://www.reddit.com/r/ShareArcheage

Just seeing German websites right now, and older ones that don't have any left. Will check back later.

Edited By Troy on 1407856466
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

As one reviewer put it:

Boats, piracy, PvP, trade runs, non instanced housing, farming, world bosses, a court system that sends players to jail, 120 different classes, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

ArcheAge feels fresh in a sea of MMO's that keep doing the same thing that's been done over and over.

I highly recommend this game, even as a free user

So yeah, i'd like a beta key for this game
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=34886

Might be working

Seems wise to use a throwaway email account, though.

Edited By Troy on 1407857284
Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote:a court system that sends players to jail

I saw a stream where this happened. It actually worked and I was very impressed that it was functional. A guy gets summoned to court and then 7-8 players that he stole/robbed/murdered got summoned in promptly and found him guilty.

Later I think the streamer hunted down parts of the jury....

E: Any mods that read this, feel free to just change the name of the thread to "ArcheAge"

Edited By Troy on 1407859131
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Zam seems to be holding up new account creation.

If you're interested in getting into the Beta go to the archeage website and sign up for an account. Apparently, there's a good chance they'll email you a beta key at some point.

UPDATE: Zam finally created my account, I got a key and punched it into Glyph. It says I now have applied the code to my account, but ArcheAge isn't showing up yet in my library.

Edited By Leisher on 1407859521
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not sure if this will work, but...

GJGK-XGGE-M23P-CDQZ-3H3P
Troy

Post by Troy »

Looks like Leisher's got the faucet flowing, but also Alienware just started their give-away. ~6k left.

http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveawa....-bounty
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

i was also able to get one myself.. just have to install some Glyph program for some reason and will do that when i'm on my PC.

I wonder if this is just for beta access for this weekend though? if it is, that would suck.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My Glyph account says I have the invite, but I still don't see the actual game in my library. I do know that I can't actually play it until Thursday, but I'm supposed to be able to patch it.

I'll try and figure it out when I get home.

And yes it is Stranger. You have to pay money to be able to play full time during the Beta. I'd like to at least try it and see if I'm even interested.

Edited By Leisher on 1407867134
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Got a key for the hell of it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:My Glyph account says I have the invite, but I still don't see the actual game in my library. I do know that I can't actually play it until Thursday, but I'm supposed to be able to patch it.

I'll try and figure it out when I get home.

And yes it is Stranger. You have to pay money to be able to play full time during the Beta. I'd like to at least try it and see if I'm even interested.
I think you have to go to the Store, download that installer for Glyph, and then install the ArchArge game from there.

I'm in the progress of that right now. 23GB download.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've been trying to install it from Glyph, but it doesn't give me that option.

I have nothing in my library. When I go to the store and look at the ArcheAge page there's no link to DL it.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Bummer about all the hoops ya'll are having to jump through. Steam is doing everything for me.

Of course that also means I've spent 50 bucks on a game that may be terrible.

Also, at first I was turned off by the idea of Hang gliders. Now I want to try flying one, bad.

Edited By Troy on 1407872835