Volibear - Volibear --> volley ball --> "Wilson."

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Been learning this champ lately, playing custom games, trying to figure out how to build and use him.

Seems like I have to go straight tanky with him... playing 2v5, and late game I just can't stop them, no matter how far ahead we are mid game. Just now I finally won a 2v5. We had their entire middle gone, and their nexus turrets were gone, and I still had a hell of a time ending the game. It was even iffy once when they aced us and started pushing our base turrets.

So, he isn't a finisher. I don't know if I would ever be good enough to win a 1v5 with him.

He has his fling back, sorta like Singed. Then he has a minor slowdown. He has a bite that does damage based on his bonus health.... most damage I have noticed it doing was about 450, fully built.

He isn't much for melee fighting, and his magic doesn't do much. His value will be in a well-coordinated team as an initiator, flinging some asshole backwards and slowing down his backup as they come in to try to save him.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I thought his bite was based on how much health they had left too. The lower their health, the more damage it did, or something. Could be someone else I'm thinking of though.

But ya, I'd say he's more of a tank/initiator than damage dealer. Although, we've all been killed by plenty of VBs. He's just not bursty about it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Finally figured out a good build, made Wilson much more effective late game.

His bite was doing 600+ points of damage with this build, and I had about 5500 hit points. The last item I built, Sunfire Cape, is interchangable... I think Frozen Heart may have been a better choice but at the time I couldn't stop to think about it and had to get back in the game.

Anyway, I was much more playable all around with that build.

I think I went shoes, Warmogs, frozen mallet, triforce, crystal scepter, sunfire.

Edited By GORDON on 1353548389
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cake and I had a bad game last night with me as Voli... the other team knew how to counter Voli perfectly, and they rolled us. Then our team started crying and talking about how bad we sucked, and that made me want to play even worse, and it just sucked.

Just now I won a 1v5. I can play him even better with AD runes instead of the AP I have always used with him... I don't know why I thought he was an AP champ.

Anyway, I was able to take 5 of them pretty easy that game. Also I hate randoms even more than I already did.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You know, I wonder if that is a good training strategy... use the wrong runes, and get good enough to win, anyway. Then in a real game with the correct runes, you reap the other team like wheat with a scythe because you are doing so much more damage.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I still think training with bots is a bad idea. It gives you a false sense of what your champ can do to others, and what others do to you.

I'm not telling you how to play. I'm just saying that what you are seeing in your bot games isn't going to translate very well to real games.

Played a couple more games a while after we quit. First game was a train wreck as our Teemo rage quit early. Second game was looking bad with bottom and mid feeding. But Warwick and I were able to do some good damage up top (I was jungle Amumu). When Warwick started roaming, good things started happening in other lanes as well. Eventually our Teemo got enough farm that he started being effective and we rolled them. But I had to talk them out of an early surrender.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

He was free, so I tried him. I like him.

Building health and AP. None of his abilities are buffed by AD.

Q - Charge at the enemy and flip one. Does some damage.
W - ad/as stacks for a passive, a bite for damage +bonus based on bonus health.
E - Slow with damage +AP bonus.
R - adds damage to basic attacks with an AP bonus. This chains to up to 4 (I think) enemies.

So, health and AP bonuses.

I built health/AP hybrid items.

Rod of Ages
Warmogs
Lyandy's something or other (the white mask item)
Ryla's crystal scepter
Fast boots
Frozen mallet

With this, I had around 4500 health. My W was hitting for over 700 points. Not sure what my AP bonuses were as I was manly trying to maximize my W.

With all of the slows (Ryla's, mallet and my E) the white mask item was hitting for max damage. I could insta pop most squishies (sona, ashe) and could easily 1v1 Shen, Cho, etc. Now, it was just bots, so, there's that. But, even real people, I would eat annie in about 3 seconds.

Anyway, I'm going to keep practicing him and see what I can do against real people. I have to work on his combos and stuff. But at 4500 health, he's so damn tanky, and can slow, flip and dish out a respectable amount of burst damage.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Oh, that's why I couldn't find my post any more.

I put it in the other thread because Chaotic can't read this one.

So, I say we start posting our builds in the public thread. No one can spy our builds because no one can register without permission. In fact, don't you have to manually create all the accounts?

Rather than giving up our private area, keep the builds in the public area. I say.

Edited By GORDON on 1367798660
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Pretty sure he can read this forum.