Awesome toy

For stuff that is general.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I bought this, and it is awesome. It was $21 shipped when I bought it. I want the chinook now. HIGHLY recommend it. It is VERY easy to fly. Out of the box, charged it up, put it on the floor, gave it gas and it was hovering about 5 feet off the ground in front of me. I like trying to find the smallest thing in the room to land it on. It's fairly durable as well, so far. Was trying to fly it up our stair way when I clipped the handrail. It fell all the way down our wooden stairs. Set it up right, hit the throttle and up it went. Mine drifts ever so slightly to the right. I'm going to try to correct it with a counter balance. I've hit many things with the rotor, and it doesn't seem to mind. Things like couch cushions, chair arms, the floor, dog beds, etc. Main thing to remember. . . . If you are flying towards something you don't want to hit, giving it less gas does NOT make it not hit it. It just falls to the floor really fast. Pull back. . . pull back.

It's fun. Only down side is, the batteries are so small that you only get about 6-7 minutes per 45 minute charge.

You can fly more than one with different channels. They make all kinds of different models. And there's a huge community of mods and spare parts, etc. Some people put a second battery in for longer flights. But people say the extra weight makes the motor work harder and use more juice. Other people are seeing how light they can make them without losing the helicopter look (leaving the body on). They are getting longer flights and better response. But if you go too light or make the wrong mod, the center of gravity is off, etc. They even have some that shoot missiles.

Super fun toy. But, not for small children. You make small, fine movements on the controls. Anything drastic and it's going somewhere fast. So, a kid with no self control will slam it into the ceiling (making snow angels on your textured ceiling if you are unfortunate enough to have one), crashing into the wall, or your face, or falling to the floor. But if you can teach them to be slow and only move it a small amount, they'll be flying right away.

Yay fun.

Oh, and landing and taking off in your hand is super easy and cool.

Edited By Cakedaddy on 1330133459
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I used to put mine on my head and launch from there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cool. I might give one out for a birthday present.

$20.95 on Amazon, and free shipping if your order exceeds $25.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

These things are VERY durable. Mine has crashed a ton and no sign of damage. The slight right drift wasn't fixable. But that's because the way it drifts changes. When I just hover it in the middle of the room, it stays pretty still. Because it's so light, it's very susceptible to any wind. Even the wind it's own rotors make. When trying to land on a chair, it will be heading straight where it needs to. As it gets closer to the chair, the turbulence from the rotors starts bouncing off the chair back, etc and affecting the helicopter. I'm not saying that this makes it hard to fly. It just makes it hard to land on the 6" x 6" landing platform I put there. I can land on the chair easy. Landing exactly where I want is harder. So, again, I don't think mine needs balancing. Just need to make sure the heat isn't blowing and I'm not flying next to anything if I want to hover perfectly still.

I'm looking at the S110g (which is smaller than the S107g) and the 4 channel S800g. The S800g adds left and right strafing. Even more precise landings. And, will make flying through a hall or stair wall easier. Can just drift left, instead of turning left, then going forward, turn back right, continue down hallway.

Lastly, the blades don't hurt. I've clipped my fingers a few times trying to catch it after someone else flew it into something, or before they did.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote:Cool. I might give one out for a birthday present.

$20.95 on Amazon, and free shipping if your order exceeds $25.
$.55 cheaper for yellow.
$.55 cheaper for the red.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Bought the Chinook (S026g) and my son bought the Apache (don't remember model number). The Chinook looks cool, but is not nearly as fun to fly. The S107G is very responsive and stuff. The Chinook is much slower and lumbers through the air. It kicks his Apache's ass in battle though. Battle, for us, is pushing the other helicopter to the ground. It's like playing Joust. But it's tricky because if you hit the ceiling, then you drop real fast. If your opponent also flies over you, you go down pretty hard. Have had multiple in air collisions and all helicopters holding strong. His Apache flies very much like the 107. Responsive, fast, etc.

Buy the Chinook for the novelty of it, buy the 107 for the fun of flying. They have an S110G that I was considering that's even smaller than the 107. It's supposed to be faster as well. But, people say it's affected much more by drafts and stuff. So, it would fail hard core in battle and with the difficulty of precision landing the helicopters we have, going to one that's smaller and affected more by the drafts would be bad, I think. I'm actually considering going bigger and going gas engine instead of electric so I can take it outside. I've got gas RC planes. Now I might do helicopters.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bet you can't do this.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Mine do not do that. I'm not a fan of that type of flying. They do it with fixed wing airplanes too. They call it "3D" flight. I picture the pilots of those planes having their names printed on the side of the canopy in alternating caps and lower case and with numbers for letters. They might have numbers at the end as well. I'm not knocking the skill of the pilots. I just think it's dumb. I've always been about realism. I do want to get a gas powered helicopter though. I might settle for an electric one though.

I do know that if I take the blades off of my s107g and put them back on upside down, it will fly upside down.

This is a long video, but it shows it doing it. Upside down S107

Edited By Cakedaddy on 1332910831