Diet....contest?

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm currently living in hotels and eating poorly, but after December 2nd I will be going on a diet. I am currently around 220, and my goal is 190, approximately 15% of my body weight.

Who wants to try to lost 15% of their body weight faster than I do?

Based on my last diet a couple years ago I will get to 200 pretty easily, but the last 10 pounds will be hell. I gave up when I reached 195.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't want to lose that much. I want to hit 190 as well, but I'm at 210 right now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm at 205... losing 15% would be too much (175).

But I'm open to any kind of weight loss challenge. I've dropped 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, looking to lose 20 more (10%).
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Already done it, by doing the following:
* Cutting out sugar, as much as possible (sticking to diet soda)
* Cutting out grains, as much as possible (no pasta, pizza, or bread)
* Cutting way back on dairy. I used to drink maybe 2 gallons of milk/week. Now I just have a glass or two a week
* Eating LOTS of meat, protein, and fat: bacon & eggs for breakfast (REAL bacon, REAL eggs with yolks), protein shakes with coconut milk for snacks

I went from 215 lbs just a few years ago to 175 now. I work out once a week, for about 10-15 minutes, lifting weights, and that's it.

Will this work for everybody? Probably not. But damn, it's easy and fun. I'm never hungry (except on workout days: I workout fasted and then don't eat until a few hours later, and even that's not so bad). I don't spend hours in the gym on the treadmill, or pounding the sidewalk. Give it a shot.

Edited By thibodeaux on 1290605518
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I could get involved in a diet/weight loss challenge, but I wouldn't start until January.

I'm currently unable to work out, plus after doing a round of P90X this summer I promised myself that I'd take the Christmas season off from dieting and working out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

thibodeaux wrote:* Cutting out grains, as much as possible (no pasta, pizza, or bread)
That is pure insanity. No way I could give up my Pizza and Pasta.

Last time I went from 225 down to 190, it was by counting calories (which naturally lowered everything else) and working out. This time, I'm back to counting calories and I'm getting active in sports (indoor lacrosse) and will most likely start working out again. I just have to get consistant. Yesterday, I probably ate about 1100 calories for the day. Today, I've had that many in cocoa pebbles for breakfast.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

It's up to you. My way, I don't have to count calories AT ALL, I'm never hungry, and I don't have to spend hours in physical activity. But that's just me. Do I miss pizza? Sure; I used to love going to the buffet and gorging. But it reminds me of the joke about the priest and the rabbi: I like pizza, but I like not being a lardass a lot better.

If you want to lose weight, processed grains are about the worst thing you can eat.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm trying a modified version of the Thib diet.
Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts; and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils

I try to limit myself to around 100 carbs a day, which I try to get primarily from veggies and fruits. I usually eat about 2 pieces of grains a day (1 25-carb tortilla wrap; a piece of bread). I cut out most candy/desserts, but I eat ice cream a couple of days a week, cuz I love it. I've cut out most dairy (aside from the ice cream). I used to eat pizza 5 meals a week. I now haven't had it in two weeks. I still eat peanuts, although they are technically legumes. I'm trying to approach this as a lifestyle change, not a diet, so I've made the compromises in order to make it something I think I can live with forever.

Example day in the life:
Breakfast:
1 cup low-sugar OJ (8-10g carbs)
1 banana (20-25g carbs)
3 eggs, scrambled
6 pieces of bacon

Lunch:
2 hot dogs
1 tortilla wrap (20g carbs)
Avocado
Nuts

Snack:
Nuts

Dinner:
1/2lb of pig, some pig sauce (10-20g carbs)
Broccoli

The biggest issues I've had are:
1) First three days, I tried to eat almost no carbs. I felt like death.
2) Headaches, generally when I don't eat carbs at lunch.
3) Variety: I'm not much of a vegetable eater, and ramping up my meat has been a bit strange.
4) Some constipation.

So far, 5 lbs lost in 2 weeks. I feel like my energy level is more stable than it was before. Food cravings are much reduced. And I haven't been jogging at all (The main reason I did this change was cuz I did a 10k training run -> Felt great at the time, took my daughter trick-or-treating the next day, and felt like my foot was broken)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My main method is going to be to reduce my portions. I can really put it away when it is a meal I love, like when I make steak and hashed browns... mmmm...

Breakfast a slice of wheat toast, butter, small glass of milk. Lunch would be a 210 calorie Lean Cousine. Supper a single half-of-a-butterflied, grilled chicken breast, wheat bun, side of veggies, water to drink. That sort of thing.

Anyway, this method leaves me hungry all the damned time, and cranky, but I will lose 2-3 pounds a day. 5 pounds if I am out sweating with yard work/gym that day.

But 200 pounds is where my body wants to be... 200 is like the base of a mountain, for me. Hard losing after that point.

Edited By GORDON on 1290625376
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Losing 2-3 per day is WAY too fast for me. If I'm hungry all the time, then I don't stick to things. Like, eating 5 bowls of cocoa pebbles this morning. That's a result of skipping supper last night due to being too lazy to fix something. I eat small portions about 5-6 times a day.
Paul

Post by Paul »

If I lost 15% of my body weight I'd die.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

I would be your huckleberry but the doctor really doesn't want me to lose weight really fast. Its actually hard on your body and you tend to gain it back just as fast. He has been really happy with 40 lbs in 11.5 months. The main change was walking almost everyday and learning how to count calories. Doesn't matter what you eat just how much I intake. Guess so far I have been lucky I can intake 2400 calories and day(Not that I do most days) and still lose weight.
The wife even bitched to the doctor about my drinking. He said he didn't give a shit about it right now as long as I was losing weight. So after deer hunting I plan on hitting it again. Would like to lose another 5 by Xmas. That is the year mark.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, do we want to track this in a Google doc?

I found this site, where I signed up as The Catt.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I signed up as Gordon

I will start the diet after this next weekend. I have more excess flab so I'll be losing it fast, so y'all can have a head start. ;)

Was 218 two nights ago.

Edited By GORDON on 1290872124
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I have to say I'm mystified. There's option A: count calories, be hungry all the time, and spend hours exercising. Then there's option B: eat as much as you want of REAL food: fruits, nuts, vegetables, and meat, including bacon and steak, without worrying about calories or exercising.

And y'all would really rather do option A?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

thibodeaux wrote:I have to say I'm mystified. There's option A: count calories, be hungry all the time, and spend hours exercising. Then there's option B: eat as much as you want of REAL food: fruits, nuts, vegetables, and meat, including bacon and steak, without worrying about calories or exercising.

It's a nefarious plot to freak you out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

thibodeaux wrote:I have to say I'm mystified. There's option A: count calories, be hungry all the time, and spend hours exercising. Then there's option B: eat as much as you want of REAL food: fruits, nuts, vegetables, and meat, including bacon and steak, without worrying about calories or exercising.

I would rather eat less and exercise than not eat pasta and pizza. In fact, the other night, I ate pizza casserole. A noodle/pizza hybrid!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Thib's is essentially the no-carb diet, right? Everyone I saw do that looked really unhealthy. Plus, I don't want to pay for all that extra meat.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

If you've seen somebody on a low-carb diet look unhealthy, I imagine they were doing it wrong.