Predators

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:But they were HIGHLY annoying. He killed them to add to the mystique of that area, and attract real prey.
Right. Jar Jar Binks was just playing stupid. He's actually a master diplomat and crack commando.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So in your scenario, who is jar jar binks? The predator, or those college kids?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:So in your scenario, who is jar jar binks? The predator, or those college kids?

If I have to play with your analogy, then I'll pick Death from "Final Destination" instead.

Death wasn't just an unseen supernatural force using unnecessarily complex ways to kill worthless teenagers, he was trying to strike fear into ... future worthless teenagers?

EDIT : Screw it, I'll just get to the point. "Blair Witch" sucked out loud so badly that comparing it to anything Predator seems like an insult. "Beaches" scared me more.

Edited By Malcolm on 1280170893
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

1. I already knew you were bringing Blair Witch hatred and baggage into the discussion.

2. Never saw Final Destination, so your metaphor is lost on me.
Troy

Post by Troy »

New title.

Predators
You should have seen Inception, instead

Edited By Troy on 1280173447
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:2. Never saw Final Destination, so your metaphor is lost on me.
It's kind of like every movie in the Saw series except the villain is an invisible force that uses the most unlikely series of events humanly possible to kill off people about every 20 or so minutes. Because I guess Death can't just take them all out at once or anything.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Life has a 100% mortality rate, so I guess "patience" is not an attribute of this force.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw Predators this weekend.

It didn't completely suck because I was entertained, but it wasn't very good either.

(SPOILERS BELOW)
Things I liked:
-Adrian Brody did an excellent job. I wasn't expecting that.
-References to Arnie's Predator film and then using those learned tactics.
-The sword fight. It might have seemed hokey, but it works when you consider the nature of the Predators.

Things I didn't like:
-Lawrence Fishbourne. Good acting, but a completely pointless role.
-Lawrence Fishbourne's amazing amount of information. Apparently, he can speak and/or read Predator.
-The stupid way they were inserted. How about just showing a ship with Predators dropping them off? There's no need to hide who the bad guys are since the movie is named after them and they're on the poster/box cover.
-The hostage Predator. This just goes against everything we've learned about Predators via the films/books. If this honor driven race of hunters were to have internal struggles, it be more about positioning in their society, and hostage taking wouldn't be an option. Besides, what were they going to do with him? Torture him for information? Rape him? It just doesn't make sense that he'd be alive.
-Speaking of the prisoner,,,If they come in threes? Where were his mates? Why did he have control over the ship?
-The dogs were stupid. This is a hunter who allows his prey to arm themselves and many of his own kind have met their deaths at the hands of their prey. He can make himself or herself invisible and uses a robot bird to scout terrain. He prides himself on the hunt. Why would he use dogs to sniff out and/or kill his prey? Why abduct them and fly them across the universe just so Snoopy can eat them before you get a chance to hunt them? Stupid.
-Was that praying mantis man thing ever explained?
-Topher Grace's character was terrible. He did a decent job, but the writing for the character was a cheap gimmick that made no sense. Why the fuck would a Predator want to hunt a serial killer? How would it have ever identified him in the first place? Is there a squad of detective Predators? Is he there for the female Predators to hunt because he, apparently, hunts women? This twist was terrible.
-Oh, and apparently, being a serial killer makes you an expert in alien plant life and chemicals.
-How were all those planets so close without smashing into one another?
(END SPOILERS)

Yeah, the fights were good, and they did a good job of making the world seem alien, but this wasn't a very good movie in terms of writing.

I would give it 5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hope they call it Predatorses.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Predatori.

Edited By Malcolm on 1412026820
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Predatrices.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Maybe we'll see the Predaking.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I always imagined them with a Predaprime Minister.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There was a Predator v. Alien v. Terminator comic series at one time.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Malcolm

Re: Predators

Post by Malcolm »

On TV. God, it still sucks so bad. Worse than Prometheus, worlds better than Resurrection.