HijackThis

Paul

Post by Paul »

HijackThis

While looking to get rid of spyware, I kept running into a program called Hijack This. In just about ever case people are asked to post their HijackThis log, so that experts can tell them what to delete.

I kept putting off experimenting with the program because I didn't want to post a log every time I had a troublesome computer.

Well this week I got stuck, so I tried HijackThis as a last resort. HijackThis basically scan your computer for programs that *can* do spyware-like activity. Toolbars, virus scanners, url redirectors, etc. are listed. Next to each entry is a checkmark that you can use to delete it.

The program was really easy to use. If you're familiar with what files should be on the computer, then deleteing the bad stuff isn't a big deal.

Without posting a log I was able to remove that damn spyware without any hassle.

Here's my unofficial anti-spyware routine.

1) Delete history, cookies, and temporary files
2) Microsoft AntiSpyware (Win2k & XP machines only)
3) Ad-Aware
4) Spybot Search & Destroy
5) If that fails, Safe Mode, repeat #1, HijackThis, repeat #3 & #4.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

If you people would quit visiting pr0n and w4r3z sites, you wouldn't have this problem.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And as was the case a couple weeks ago, dtman.com.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've never had spyware problems on my own machines.

The problems are always on other people's machines, and I (do my best to) fix those.

Besides, with all the WAREZ and midget-redneck pr0n on my computer there's no room for spyware.
Paul

Post by Paul »

There's a new version of HijackThis that came out earlier this month. Version 1.99.1 came out a couple weeks ago. One machine kept closing my copy of the older version. The normal fix for that didn't work, but when I installed the new HijackThis the problem went away and I was able to nuke the bastard programs.

I need to update my utility CD with the new version.